Around The NHL 2020/21

JCon

ken dryden article about nhl goalie problem

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/02/hockey-goalies-are-too-big-now/618021/

This story is not about any particular goalie, but about the position itself and how it increasingly dominates the way hockey is played, and not for the right reasons. This story is about goalies and their equipment, and about how they’ve learned to use it. It is a story that has evolved very slowly, almost without change or notice for hockey’s first 100 years, then, since the 1980s, in actions initiated by goalies mostly, and counteractions by NHL regulators, players, and coaches, until today’s state of near-acceptance and resignation.

1 minute ago, BomberBall said:

Wasn’t implying we should bring him back.  Good kid, but I just don’t think he’s an NHL goalie.

I was just kidding. I joked that when he was claimed that he would be back in a few weeks. 

No, he's an AHL goalie but a good team player. Would be nice to have for the taxi squad this year but not really necessary. 

Edited by JCon

12 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

As much as I really hate the Leafs,  just watching them play the Sens before the Jet game starts, I really like their aggressive PK, especially the high guy who is always on the puck carrier. That’s how you scheme a pk unit imo.

And, yet, they are 19th in the league on the PK. Winnipeg is 16th. 

What we like and what works are not always the same thing. 

5 hours ago, JCon said:

And, yet, they are 19th in the league on the PK. Winnipeg is 16th. 

What we like and what works are not always the same thing. 

Fair enough.

I'll use the goto default coach response to counter when challenged on what is liked:

'We have the right schemes in place, putting the players in the appropriate positions to be successful, we're just not getting full execution'.

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well you usually win your first game after firing the coach so guess we can write off Thursday.

This isn't true at all. Ironically the last time the Habs fired a coach they played the Jets next and lost 3 1. 

What do you think? They brought in some new guy? They promoted an assistant.. Montreal is overrated. They were actually 24th overall last season and then went on some unsustainable run that is now ending because reality is... Montreal just isn't that good. 

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well you usually win your first game after firing the coach so guess we can write off Thursday.

Montreal's talent recruiting pool is limited to only French Canadian coaches, and there aren't a whole lot of them with NHL coaching experience.  So who are they going to recycle this time?  What's Claude Noel doing these days lol...