Around The NHL 2020/21

JCon

Strange the ppl picking Jets last or close to last... Obviously quite uninformed. Jets play in what some consider to be the toughest division in hockey and if being honest last year was a **** show with the buff drama and all that.. yet still 

2020 CDn team standings when season took a break last year 

Oilers. 83 pts in 71 games

Leafs 81 points in 70 games 

Jets. 80 points. 71 games. 

Flames. 79 points in 70 games 

Canucks 78 in 69 games. 

Habs 71 in 71 

Sens 62 in 71 games. 

Leafs. Sens. Habs all in a weaker division. 

Jets lose all 3 RHd including Buff who just left b4 camp started. 

Lose Scheif Laine Game 1 and Appleton in play in series. Lose. Now we blow? 

We should be battling for top spot in the division just based on skill of opponents we are used to playing. 

It's basically a repeat of a year* ago going into the 2019-20 season from all the "experts" out there and I'd say they exceeded those low expectations. 

FWIW, the Jets were 9-3-0 last season vs. other Canadian teams (IIRC - please correct me if that record is incorrect). I think they'll be in the thick of it for a playoff spot, especially if Hellebuyck carries over his monster play between the pipes. The top 6 is solid with the re-addition of Stastny (sure, he's older but still more than capable at 2C), Laine probably having a chip on his shoulder in his final bridge year, and Connor maybe using his "demotion" to the second line as motivation to round out his two-way game. Ehlers and Wheeler centering Scheifele should be fun to watch, IMO. And even with marginally better defensive zone play and a somewhat improved blue line, this team should be better.

Let 'em sleep on the Jets. Hopefully, they'll come out strong and slap their opponents in the mouth and set the tone.

Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
---
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa

Toronto- I think they're the obvious pick here.
Montreal. I don't see why people are so high on them all of a sudden. They were closer to a lottery team than they were the playoffs if it wasn't for covid. Toffoli, Jake Allen, and Anderson (while losing Domi) is not some huge upgrade. They still have no elite top end talent.
I do like Calgary's roster composition. But Monahan and Gaudreau don't scare me. If they stumble again I could see them making big changes in Calgary.
Vancouver - lost their work horse goalie on a career year. I think they step back
Edmonton - disgusting goalie combo. They're not going anywhere leaning on 38 year old Mike Smith and Koskinen. They needed to land Markstrom. And no, Yamamoto shooting 25% for 30 games or whatever is not some ppg player like Oilers fans have been saying he is. Power play and penalty kill WILL regress. They were #1 in the league last year at both. That's not happening again.
Ottawa- obviously

We could very well slide down to dead last though if Hellebuyck gets hurt or our defense doesn't hold up.

Edited by Dr Zaius

13 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

We could very well slide down to dead last though if Hellebuyck gets hurt or our defense doesn't hold up.

The same can be said for any team, though. Injuries can't be predicted and team chemistry is a fragile thing to achieve. I feel the latter is going to be exacerbated early on this season due to no pre-season and that'll be something every team has to manage. And all it takes is a bad stretch of games for any team to tumble down the standings, especially in a shortened season.

https://theathletic.com/2316763/2021/01/11/sharks-evander-kane-bankruptcy/

The lengthy list of athletes who squandered millions of dollars only to file for bankruptcy has a new member, San Jose Sharks left winger Evander Kane. Despite signing a seven-year, $49 million contract extension in 2018, Kane filed for Chapter 7 in the federal bankruptcy court in the California city of his team.

The filling detailed liabilities of $26.8 million and assets — largely three homes — of $10.2 million. And the filing included a note that warns he may not even play this year.

“Debtor may terminate his contract and he may opt out of the season, as allowed under current rules, because of health concerns given the recent birth of his first child,” the bankruptcy petition said. “Should he terminate his contract or opt out at a point in the season, Debtor will not receive his salary.”

The NHL opt-out deadline for the COVID-19-shortened season, which starts this week, was Dec. 24, and the bankruptcy petition is dated...

Rest is behind the paywall, so can't quote, but he owes a bunch of people, lost $1.5M in the last year gambling.  His income right now is minus $90k per month, and will be getting a reduced salary with the Covid season.

Tough times for our friend Evander.

Anyone remember Dereck Sanderson of the Bruins ...All the talent in the world but squandered it all and ended up sleeping on a park bench with a brown bag....Tragic...Some of the stories about him being in golf tournaments where he would buy the best set of golf clubs in the club house and then just give them to his caddy after the eighteenth ... Partnered up with Super Bowl winning qb. Joe Namath in a high end New York restaurant , then walked on it ... Kane should read how Sanderson's career ended and give his head a shake and grow up...You can go from penthouse to outhouse with the wrong lifestyle

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Anyone remember Dereck Sanderson of the Bruins ...All the talent in the world but squandered it all and ended up sleeping on a park bench with a brown bag....Tragic...Some of the stories about him being in golf tournaments where he would buy the best set of golf clubs in the club house and then just give them to his caddy after the eighteenth ... Partnered up with Super Bowl winning qb. Joe Namath in a high end New York restaurant , then walked on it ... Kane should read how Sanderson's career ended and give his head a shake and grow up...You can go from penthouse to outhouse with the wrong lifestyle

I do not care for Evander but think part of his issues stem from mental health problems. I hope he gets help, for the sake of his child. Gambling certainly is an issue. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

I do not care for Evander but think part of his issues stem from mental health problems. I hope he gets help, for the sake of his child. Gambling certainly is an issue. 

His family isn't doing him any favors either.. other than his infant daughter, he has his 27 year old sister, his parents, his grandmother and 2 uncles all listed as dependants.

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

His family isn't doing him any favors either.. other than his infant daughter, he has his 27 year old sister, his parents, his grandmother and 2 uncles all listed as dependants.

True but he has a ridiculous amount of money or, at least, should have. If I had that sort of money, I would be supporting everyone in my family too. 

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

He is a bad gambler and generally rubs people the wrong way, the amount of stories that circulated around about him here and followed him to Buffalo make it's hard to have any empathy for him, somehow he will make it about race as he has in the past

People here didn't like Evander because he was a ****** not cuz he was black. 85 WBB and 33 Jets are 2 of the most popular stars here in my lifetime