2020-21 NFL Discussion Thread

SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

KC actually had their other starting tackle hurt in october and a starting guard about half way through the season so technically 3 backups. They also have tried to get away the past few years with a Chevette OL for their Ferrari QB.

4 back-ups if you account for them having to replace Duvernay-Tardiff all season.

chiefs O line backups, sure, but they made to the final, and were considered unstoppable.

give some credit to the bucs D, those guys were ready, and I was told the D coach changed their defence from man to man to double coverage on hill and kelce.

devin white..... omg.  dont know how much he weighs, but he ran a 4.4 40.

and the bucs i saw all  credited brady with showing them how to win.

he probably could have won it with half a dozen teams.

also, one of my fave players vikings antoine winfield, son wins superbowl.

not saying willie jefferson is as good as pierre paul,but there is a strong resemblance.

Edited by Mark F

27 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Being a biased defensive guy I thought the calls made on DB holding were frustrating. 

There were a few calls early that were just brutal. And did have a big impact on the game. I'm not saying they decided the game. But I'm not willing to ignore their impact either. It was unfortunate to say the least.

59 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

There were a few calls early that were just brutal. And did have a big impact on the game. I'm not saying they decided the game. But I'm not willing to ignore their impact either. It was unfortunate to say the least.

Tampa wins this game no matter what but the officiating was absolutely horrid. Gotta feel bad for Mahomes...guy scrambles 65 yards then horizontally launches himself to throw a 60 yard pass only to have his receivers (not once, not twice but 3 times) have a perfect ball go through their hands and hit them in the facemask. Catch those and the game is completely different.

Edited by GCn20

16 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Speaking of calls: does anyone know why that PI called due to tripping - keeps showing up in clips that are portraying "the questionable calls."

Am I missing something?

The ball was about 5 yards overthrown... uncatchable... zero chance Evans is catching that ball if he stays upright...

I agree with the general sentiment... the refs didn't "decide" the game... but there were plenty of questionable calls that could have made a difference... ultimately the Tampa D was too much, they essentially shut down the best offense in the league and that was the difference in the game... 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

The ball was about 5 yards overthrown... uncatchable... zero chance Evans is catching that ball if he stays upright...

I agree with the general sentiment... the refs didn't "decide" the game... but there were plenty of questionable calls that could have made a difference... ultimately the Tampa D was too much, they essentially shut down the best offense in the league and that was the difference in the game... 

Ok, fair enough.  Probably a split second judgement call, throwing the flag because of the trip. 

22 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm gonna say this. One of those bad calls was the female ref's call on Chiefs #32 when the receiver ran into hjim & she threw the flag. Should she have even been there in the first place as an official or was the NFL virtue signaling by inserting her into the referee lineup?  

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm gonna say this. One of those bad calls was the female ref's call on Chiefs #32 when the receiver ran into hjim & she threw the flag. Should she have even been there in the first place as an official or was the NFL virtue signaling by inserting her into the referee lineup?  

So a few refs make some bad calls, but because the female ref made one of the questionable calls, you're questioning whether she should have even been there?  What about the refs who made the other questionable calls, should they have been working that game? 🤔

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Ok, fair enough.  Probably a split second judgement call, throwing the flag because of the trip. 

In real time, that one looked to me like a good call, but when they showed the replay you could see that the receiver basically tripped on his own feet.  The ref who threw the flag (at least the one that I saw) would have had the receiver running straight at him (or her, not sure which ref was in that spot) and it definitely could have looked like he was tripped up by the defender at that angle.  Definitely the wrong call was made, but based on the angles, I can see how it might have looked like interference.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Image result for what is wrong with you gif

You obviously don't know who Sarah Thomas is, so maybe read up on the individual before posting such bigoted garbage.

She's been an official in the NFL since 2015, starting as a line judge and then became a down judge in 2017. She's officiated in over 100 NFL games (both regular season and playoffs).

It's almost like officials are imperfect and make bad calls every now and then, regardless of what's dangling between their legs or not.

I just couldn't even bring myself to respond to that post, but I'm sure glad that some found a way. Sigh. We're never going to move forward as a society as long as people still use the phrase "virtue signaling" every time they see an example of equality. Truly disgusting that in this day and age people still think like that. 

I'll take Sarah Thomas over many of the CFL refs.

They may have put her in the Super Bowl since the NFL made a big deal about having two females in Tampa being apart of the coaching / conditioning staff to show diversity and to try to win brownie points.  Similar to how they force teams to interview black coaches.   I do highly doubt though that they would put an unqualified random female just for fun to referee in the league. 

What I don't understand with the NFL (and other sports) is with the ridiculous amount of cameras they have ,  why don't they have a few refs in the booth making quick judgement calls to back up the on field refs.  So many times it's obvious if someone goes off side why couldn't they radio down to throw the flag. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I just couldn't even bring myself to respond to that post, but I'm sure glad that some found a way. Sigh. We're never going to move forward as a society as long as people still use the phrase "virtue signaling" every time they see an example of equality. Truly disgusting that in this day and age people still think like that. 

I don't care if people are offended. People always ***** about the refs. I just asked if she deserved to be there or was the NFL trotting her out saying "Look at us". What does the number of years officiating have to do with anything? To me, it means nothing. Look at Jake Ireland in the CFL. Reffed for 30 years & screwed every CFL team over a dozen times. Now, he is one of the replay officials & still screwing teams over another dozen times. So, to me it's a valid question. Was there a better ref left out to put her in on Sunday? 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'll take Sarah Thomas over many of the CFL refs.

They may have put her in the Super Bowl since the NFL made a big deal about having two females in Tampa being apart of the coaching / conditioning staff to show diversity and to try to win brownie points.  Similar to how they force teams to interview black coaches.   I do highly doubt though that they would put an unqualified random female just for fun to referee in the league. 

What I don't understand with the NFL (and other sports) is with the ridiculous amount of cameras they have ,  why don't they have a few refs in the booth making quick judgement calls to back up the on field refs.  So many times it's obvious if someone goes off side why couldn't they radio down to throw the flag. 

We ask the same thing about CFL officiating as well. 

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Image result for what is wrong with you gif

You obviously don't know who Sarah Thomas is, so maybe read up on the individual before posting such bigoted garbage.

She's been an official in the NFL since 2015, starting as a line judge and then became a down judge in 2017. She's officiated in over 100 NFL games (both regular season and playoffs).

It's almost like officials are imperfect and make bad calls every now and then, regardless of what's dangling between their legs or not.

But she can't be criticized...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Clearly it is for the optics ,  the NFL is trying to earn brownie points.  Do you really think the NFL cares that teams are forced to interview one black candidate  (yet not forced to interview asian , gay , brown, female) it's all about the optics and trying to gather some good attention from the press/media.  

I just don't understand why you'd be surprised,  in a world where a network decides that an obese old lady with zero experience in action movies is chosen as the lead of the Equalizer... I'd assume anywhere and everywhere is trying hard to look progressive.  

32 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't care if people are offended. People always ***** about the refs. I just asked if she deserved to be there or was the NFL trotting her out saying "Look at us". What does the number of years officiating have to do with anything? To me, it means nothing. Look at Jake Ireland in the CFL. Reffed for 30 years & screwed every CFL team over a dozen times. Now, he is one of the replay officials & still screwing teams over another dozen times. So, to me it's a valid question. Was there a better ref left out to put her in on Sunday? 

We ask the same thing about CFL officiating as well. 

But she can't be criticized.

There are bad calls in every game and this is the only one that you questioned whether or not they belonged there. 

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I just don't understand why you'd be surprised,  in a world where a network decides that an obese old lady with zero experience in action movies is chosen as the lead of the Equalizer... I'd assume anywhere and everywhere is trying hard to look progressive.  

I’m confused... Denzel Washington is an obese old lady??