2020-21 NFL Discussion Thread

SpeedFlex27

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

In fairness the 90's Cowboys had a great run despite running the good old white house.

If you have established yourself as a bona fide star in any league, you get a lot more slack than if you are a rookie. BTW: the Cowpersons had a house of ill repute that management reserved for them post-game. And John Matuzak would reserve a hospital bed reserved every time he went out partying. Good times.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not surprising. Some of the Epic Fails of first round draft picks include Art Schlicter, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Johnny Manziel & now Dwayne Haskins. They might as well have shot themselves in the foot for destroying their careers. Drugs, booze, gambling, pnostitution... you name it as these bozos did it all or a part of it to themselves. 

Fun Fact: The first ever touchdown in the first ever Super Bowl was scored by Max McGee when he was ridiculously hungover after a night of gambling and gallivanting, he had himself a day. He wasn't even a starter but had to play because the starter got injured.

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

Listened to a minute or so to the interview- the guy has the intelligence of a house plant and was trying to sound remorseful. Fail on both counts.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not surprising. Some of the Epic Fails of first round draft picks include Art Schlicter, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Johnny Manziel & now Dwayne Haskins. They might as well have shot themselves in the foot for destroying their careers. Drugs, booze, gambling, pnostitution... you name it as these bozos did it all or a part of it to themselves. 

He’s a 23 year old kid with $14 million guaranteed in the bank and a lifetime of being protected and coddled as a star athlete from high school through college whose destiny from an early age was to be a pro football player. Doesn’t make him stupid or a bozo. Pro athletes live in a very different world than the average fan. Frankly, I’d be more surprised if I heard that he WASN’T snorting cocaine off a hooker’s ass on a daily basis. Even if he never plays another down in his life, he’s already made out better financially then I ever will, and I’ve been working 35 years. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

He’s a 23 year old kid with $14 million guaranteed in the bank and a lifetime of being protected and coddled as a star athlete from high school through college whose destiny from an early age was to be a pro football player. Doesn’t make him stupid or a bozo. Pro athletes live in a very different world than the average fan. Frankly, I’d be more surprised if I heard that he WASN’T snorting cocaine off a hooker’s ass on a daily basis. Even if he never plays another down in his life, he’s already made out better financially then I ever will, and I’ve been working 35 years. 

Yes but assuming with your life experiences you would be much better in managing your money and in the end you probably will have more money then this guy does.     

As seen in the ESPN documentary about how 80% of black atheletes become bankrupt within 10 years of retiring.....

5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Did you defended Johnny Manziel with the same message as well? If you did it was a waste of time like we always knew it would be. Other young players come in from college, sign big contracts & become great players. That is the majority who make it & start. Why? Because of character. Because they jnow how fortunate they are to be playing pro footvball. They outwork the next guy & do what they have to do to become better players . Thatis what separates a one player from another. Why some make it & others don't. 

Yes, Duane Haskins was coddled. For that we already know. He was probably told how great he was since he was 10. Transgressions were overlooked for him but probably not others on every team he played before Washington. Because he was coddled he never developed a proper work ethic as he could get by on athleticism until he got to the NFL. In other words, Haskins became a spoiled, entitled brat thinking the rules never applied to him. I have no sympathy for an athlete who was getting paid HUGE money but throws away his career. He'll probably get another chance to redeem himself as first rounders always do but looking at the track record of other first rounders who were given chances (most recently Johnny Manziel), Haskins will probably screw that up as well. 

While many that play sports and make serious coin make great financial decisions some do not whether it's the lifestyle, accountants, agents or leeches , case in point Chris McAlister who made over 60 million during his days playing football, shortly after his career was over he moved into his parents house broke.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yes but assuming with your life experiences you would be much better in managing your money and in the end you probably will have more money then this guy does.     

As seen in the ESPN documentary about how 80% of black atheletes become bankrupt within 10 years of retiring.....

I remember five years ago people saying the same thing about Johnny Manziel. How he deserved another chance. We all know how that worked out. In the end, even June Jones in Hamilton said he refused to put the work in to be a great player. I know he played in the AAF but for all intents & purposes, Hamilton was his last chance & he still refused to do what he needed to do to have a chance at success. I call that just a lack of character. Like the student who never studies who blames the teacher when they fail. Ultimately, it falls on the players shoulders to be prepared & ready. 

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

While many that play sports and make serious coin make great financial decisions some do not whether it's the lifestyle, accountants, agents or leeches , case in point Chris McAlister who made over 60 million during his days playing football, shortly after his career was over he moved into his parents house broke.

The first thing a young player needs is a top flight agent. On who isn't a friend who simply tells his client what he wants to hear. One that will light a fire under his client's ass if he isn't doing the work or needs tough love if he screws up. Too many agents are in it for the money & to get rich off their players & actually don't care. Agents are business partners & young players need to trust & respect them. Finding a good one must be a daunting task. 

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The first thing a young player needs is a top flight agent. On who isn't a friend who simply tells his client what he wants to hear. One that will light a fire under his client's ass if he isn't doing the work or needs tough love if he screws up. Too many agents are in it for the money & to get rich off their players & actually don't care. Agents are business partners & young players need to trust & respect them. Finding a good one must be a daunting task. 

...............and just because they are your parents doesn't mean you should trust them, money makes people do crazy things

On 2020-12-30 at 9:04 AM, Tracker said:

If you have established yourself as a bona fide star in any league, you get a lot more slack than if you are a rookie. BTW: the Cowpersons had a house of ill repute that management reserved for them post-game. And John Matuzak would reserve a hospital bed reserved every time he went out partying. Good times.

Michael Irvin when he was a Cowboy was as bad ass as they came. You see him now on the NFL Network all loosy goosey, happy & joking around but you can still see the intensity & look in his eyes that he had when he was a player back in the 90's. Back then, it was a life of excesses. Money, alcohol, drugs, houses, cars & women nearly did him in. He had it all & he was not a nice human being to boot. He really should be dead or having spent years rotting in jail but he's one of the guys that did turn his life around. I think he appreciates life now & what he has. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Michael Irvin when he was a Cowboy was as bad ass as they came. You see him now on the NFL Network all loosy goosey, happy & joking around but you can still see the intensity & look in his eyes that he had when he was a player back in the 90's. Back then, he was not a nice human being at all. A life of excesses. Money, alcohol, drugs, houses, cars & women nearly did him in. He had it all & he was not a nice human being to boot. He really should be dead or having spent years rotting in jail but he's one of the guys that did turn his life around. I think he appreciates life now & what he has. 

Well he did have that blip in 2005 where he was caught with a crack pipe in his car.  I fondly remember listening to the Dan Patrick show where every week he would have Irvin on and Patrick called him out on his BS.  Irvin kept denying and playing dumb but it was nice of someone calling him out on his ****. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well he did have that blip in 2005 where he was caught with a crack pipe in his car.  I fondly remember listening to the Dan Patrick show where every week he would have Irvin on and Patrick called him out on his BS.  Irvin kept denying and playing dumb but it was nice of someone calling him out on his ****. 

I guess nothing ever came of that in 2005, I don't remember. I do remember Irvin's drug trial in 1996. That was a big deal back then during the height of the Cowboys 1990's 3 Super Bowl run. He faced 20 years in jail for cocaine possession but got no jail time as long as he kept out of trouble during the time of his probation which was 4 years. However, the only reason he got probation in the first place was because he was a Dallas Cowboy as his probation coincided with the start of training camp.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Nothing came from it because he made some lame story about driving with his family member and claimed that he had no knowledge of his family member bringing the pipe,  kept changing the story and on the Dan Patrick radio show he really bumbled and put himself in a hole that he couldn't get out and just kept sticking with a complete non sensical story.    

On 2020-12-31 at 7:30 AM, Dr Zaius said:

et's go Strafolski!

pat asked if wpg is north of minnesota, desk guy said "east coast" 😂

so pat watched strev highlights and thinks hes good enough for the nfl.

thanks for the clip great to see.

might see strev  tomorrow.

Edited by Mark F

38 minutes ago, Mark F said:

pat asked if wpg is north of minnesota, desk guy said "east coast" 😂

so pat watched strev highlights and thinks hes good enough for the nfl.

thanks for the clip great to see.

might see strev  tomorrow.

There's a Canadian in the room in the podcast too.  He says the CFL is pretty much dead. 🙄