Grey Cup Fan Base

JCon

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

All due respect, Jacquie but you can't just dismiss TrueBlue4ever's comments as he's right. The base is part of the Grey Cup. Emblematic of the best team in the CFL which has nothing to do with having enough money to buy a spot on the championship base.  Why not put sponsor's logos on it as well to raise money??? What about that?

So the thing that the Grey Cup will sit on is the Grey Cup and the proof is because another poster here says so? What? 

There are so many traditionalists here that want the CFL to be profitable but somehow only by doing things the exact same way they always have. 

The billionaire owners have basically only lost money propping up the CFL. Not that I have a strong love for capitalism and the wealth gap but I'm unsure why some think that they are required to continue to lose money.

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

There are so many traditionalists here that want the CFL to be profitable but somehow only by doing things the exact same way they always have. 

The billionaire owners have basically only lost money propping up the CFL. Not that I have a strong love for capitalism and the wealth gap but I'm unsure why some think that they are required to continue to lose money.

Be profitable by leaving the ENTIRE Grey Cup untarnished, Do something else. If that is one of the ideas to make money then this league is ****** . 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

All due respect, Jacquie but you can't just dismiss TrueBlue4ever's comments as he's right. The base is part of the Grey Cup. Emblematic of the best team in the CFL which has nothing to do with having enough money to buy a spot on the championship base.  Why not put sponsor's logos on it as well to raise money??? What about that?

Have you actually looked at the pictures of it? 

GreyCupFanBase_03-800x451.png

feature-take-it-home.jpg

Edited by Jacquie
Changed first picture

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think the point Speedflex is trying to make is even though the Grey Cup trophy itself won't physically be altered, the fact they're offering space on a "Grey Cup base" dilutes its' history and renown...

Or maybe some people simply made a mistake of thinking “fan base” meant “trophy base”.

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So what, Jacquie? if I go to the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame & see the Grey Cup why should anyone's name be on a base when the players names & teams are on the Cup? Just because they have a spare $400??? These names have no business in the CFHOF. 

Fans are the reason there is a CFL. We all know fans who have been season ticket holders for decades or who have spent thousands on gear or have decorated rooms in their homes in their team’s colours or have taken half/full days off work to drive to games from out of town, etc. (heck, I know a person who has done all that and more). Spending $400 to have your name on the fan base is not something a casual fan is going to do. So why shouldn’t people who have followed and cheered and supported the League for most of their lives have this opportunity. Do I wish it was cheaper? Yeah I do because I would do it in a heartbeat. 

It looks like this will just be another thing we will have to agree to disagree about.

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

Fans are the reason there is a CFL. We all know fans who have been season ticket holders for decades or who have spent thousands on gear or have decorated rooms in their homes in their team’s colours or have taken half/full days off work to drive to games from out of town, etc. (heck, I know a person who has done all that and more). Spending $400 to have your name on the fan base is not something a casual fan is going to do. So why shouldn’t people who have followed and cheered and supported the League for most of their lives have this opportunity. Do I wish it was cheaper? Yeah I do because I would do it in a heartbeat. 

It looks like this will just be another thing we will have to agree to disagree about.

I have been a CFL fan since 1965. I was a season ticket holder with the Bombers for nearly 20 years. However, I don't consider myself to be any better than you. Or others posters. Yes, I've seen more than most here from monumenmtal games to great players of the past but I have never thought or wished my name would appear with the Grey Cup in the Hall Of Fame.  I've done nothing to warrant my name be with the Cup in any way, shape or form. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have been a CFL fan since 1965. I was a season ticket holder with the Bombers for nearly 20 years. However, I don't consider myself to be any better than you. Or others posters. Yes, I've seen more than most here from monumenmtal games to great players of the past but I have never thought or wished my name would appear with the Grey Cup in the Hall Of Fame.  I've done nothing to warrant my name be with the Cup in any way, shape or form. 

Then I think you are selling yourself short.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was at the Bomber store on Friday and got some more intel on the Fan  Base that I don’t think was put out before. Not sure if it will change my opinion about putting my name on it, but food for thought. 

First of all, the money that goes to putting one’s name on the base goes directly back to the individual club team, not the league. 75% of the money goes to the team’s finances, and 25 % to the players directly. So Bomber fans buying a name props up the Bombers directly.

Secondly, the club will also issue a certificate (as we have seen) to the name holder, and the club is also planning to have a plaque placed somewhere at IG Field (they haven’t decided where yet) recognizing those who have put their name on the base. The base will travel with the Cup wherever it goes (Purolator food drive days, at the Hall of Fame, etc.) so it be be seen whenever the Cup is seen. It essentially is now part of the Cup the way I see it.

Third, only individual names go on the base, and you pay per name. No “the Smith family”, no corporate entities, and no slogans like “Bomber nation”, “Riders suck”, or “too many men” and things of that ilk. But you can buy a spot in memory of someone else, not sure if you can note their name as “in memory of” or if it is just their name. 

Finally, the concern I raised about fans “deserving” to buy their way on to the Cup base when players have to win to get their name on the Cup itself. When I discussed this (was talking to Carol Barrott, who I would always trust with any Bomber info) and specifically asked if the players would be bothered by this, she claimed that the players she has talked to love the idea. She said they recognize what the fans have done to prop up the league and keep it going throughout the years, so it is cool that those names “can now hold up the Cup, just like they have held up the CFL”. Now she did acknowledge that she is in sales so she knows she is doing a sales job, and the players are getting a cut of the profits, but hearing that did put my mind at ease a fair bit, and I can see the rationalization when it is explained that way. 

Anyway, people will make their own choice, and I can respect those who opt either way. Just thought some context might help given the original debate. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

One more thing, you can make the payments in installments, so you don’t have to cough up the $350 or $400 all at once. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So I was at the Bomber store on Friday and got some more intel on the Fan  Base that I don’t think was put out before. Not sure if it will change my opinion about putting my name on it, but food for thought. 

First of all, the money that goes to putting one’s name on the base goes directly back to the individual club team, not the league. 75% of the money goes to the team’s finances, and 25 % to the players directly. So Bomber fans buying a name props up the Bombers directly.

Secondly, the club will also issue a certificate (as we have seen) to the name holder, and the club is also planning to have a plaque placed somewhere at IG Field (they haven’t decided where yet) recognizing those who have put their name on the base. The base will travel with the Cup wherever it goes (Purolator food drive days, at the Hall of Fame, etc.) so it be be seen whenever the Cup is seen. It essentially is now part of the Cup the way I see it.

Third, only individual names go on the base, and you pay per name. No “the Smith family”, no corporate entities, and no slogans like “Bomber nation”, “Riders suck”, or “too many men” and things of that ilk. But you can buy a spot in memory of someone else, not sure if you can note their name as “in memory of” or if it is just their name. 

Finally, the concern I raised about fans “deserving” to buy their way on to the Cup base when players have to win to get their name on the Cup itself. When I discussed this (was talking to Carol Barrott, who I would always trust with any Bomber info) and specifically asked if the players would be bothered by this, she claimed that the players she has talked to love the idea. She said they recognize what the fans have done to prop up the league and keep it going throughout the years, so it is cool that those names “can now hold up the Cup, just like they have held up the CFL”. Now she did acknowledge that she is in sales so she knows she is doing a sales job, and the players are getting a cut of the profits, but hearing that did put my mind at ease a fair bit, and I can see the rationalization when it is explained that way. 

Anyway, people will make their own choice, and I can respect those who opt either way. Just thought some context might help given the original debate. 

Thanks for the info... You may have swayed me on this. Money going directly to WBBFC/Players and installment plan is what I needed to hear... 

On 2020-09-14 at 9:48 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

I believe her. I've seen a number of tweets made by a number of players from all the teams promoting it. I have yet to see a player say anything negative about it.