Diversionary Topic of the Week: My First Blue Bomber Memory

With the extension of an already extra long off season upon us, there appears to be a groundswell of support (OK, a Speedflex mention) for topics for the board to weigh in on to pass the time. Stuff like the MBB all-time team and Bluto's brilliant "your hate goes here" thread seemed to get things going, and I have pondered various top 10 lists for people to debate (although some involving player positions might be a repeat of the all-time team nominations, so I will resist that for the time being). But today, let's start things off appropriately at the beginning.

What are people's first Blue Bomber memory, either on the radio, TV or in person (or all of the above, we have plenty of time to unpack the origins of our collective Bomber fandom)? What brought you to Bomber Nation? Please be as descriptive as possible, although this is not a test, I will be grading the essays in my mind and judging you all silently, as I am sure you will be with me.

I've told this before but my mother is a Rider fan. I assume I'm adopted. She grew up in Saskatchewan, so I suppose it's not really her fault.

Despite her poor character, she took me to my first football game on September 22nd, 1985 at Winnipeg Stadium to see the eight time and defending Grey Cup Champion, Winnipeg Blue Bomber face her two time Grey Cup Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders. 

We sat in the South East corner. Close to the field. The Bombers proceeded to pound the Riders 49-3. What a game. 

I don't remember much from the game except that the Bombers kept scoring and scoring and scoring. I also have a memory of Sandy "The Flame" Monteith being there and sitting close to us. We sat among a lot of Rider fans. 

Although this isn't my first Bomber memory, it was my first live game. Not a bad way to cement my fandom. 

not sure about first memory. I was 10 when we won our last cup (before the current one) and I remember having the "Grey Cup Champs" pennant (I still have it).... I remember being at a game with Sean Salisbury (so I guess that would be the earliest...) that we won 14-12 or something to that effect. Trevor Kennard had all our points. It was cold and windy and miserable at the stadium that day. I also remember KD Williams with diamonds in his teeth and our whole section screaming "DEEEEEEE........FEEEEENCE....." when I was a little kid. And I remember watching the 60-pt blowout to the Esks (on TV)  that got Coach Cal fired. Those are my memories from when I was a kid.....some good, some not so much. 

My fondest memory is going to my first game with my friend in 1969 against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. I was 14. Going into this game, the Riders were 4-0 & we were 1-3 & on our way to a  miserable 3 win season that year while the Riders were going to the Grey Cup. We bought two Salisbury House tickets for the bleachers in the South End zone for 50 cents each.

This game marked the debut of former Argos starting qb Wally Gabler who we picked up for my favourite player at the time, halfback Dave Raimey. I was crushed when he was traded to the Argos but The Knife had publicly blasted HC Joe Zaleski & GM Earl Lunsford saying he wanted out because he thought the team was not committed to winning  while demanding he be traded to a contender.

The Bombers  had finished last in the West every season since 1967 & he was tired of losing. Lunsford didn't take kindly to players going to the media criticizing him & demanding a trade so he was dispatched quickly to Toronto for Gabler. This was back in an era where the CFL was the only game in town as the NHL only had Canadian teams in Toronto & Montreal.  There were no Blue Jays or Raptors. The Expos were brand new in 1969 but hadn't caught on yet with Canadians. So, this trade was a blockbuster. Headline news in every newspaper or sportscast across the country. In essence, the Bombers gave up one of the top running backs in the league for a benched former starting qb  who was backing up an unknown Tom Wilkinson in Toronto. But the Bombers were desperate to find an experienced qb  who had success as a starter in the league. They were prepared to give up their only superstar to get Gabler.

The Bombers had cut John Schneider & their only backup at the time Rick Cassata didn't have the experience to start so they were hurting at that position. Interestingly enough, the Bombers cut Cassata that year. He ended up with the Ottawa Rough Riders & was the Grey Cup winning qb for them in 1973. With only a few practices under his belt,  Gabler went out & beat the Riders 16-14 at Winnipeg Stadium. August 27, 1969.... The day I became a Blue Bomber fan forever. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

I've told this before but my mother is a Rider fan. I assume I'm adopted. She grew up in Saskatchewan, so I suppose it's not really her fault.

Despite her poor character, she took me to my first football game on September 22nd, 1985 at Winnipeg Stadium to see the eight time and defending Grey Cup Champion, Winnipeg Blue Bomber face her two time Grey Cup Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders. 

We sat in the South East corner. Close to the field. The Bombers proceeded to pound the Riders 49-3. What a game. 

I don't remember much from the game except that the Bombers kept scoring and scoring and scoring. I also have a memory of Sandy "The Flame" Monteith being there and sitting close to us. We sat among a lot of Rider fans. 

Although this isn't my first Bomber memory, it was my first live game. Not a bad way to cement my fandom. 

I was at that game. I remember the Flame just sitting there all day like a NASA rocket whose mission was scrubbed. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

What are people's first Blue Bomber memory, either on the radio, TV or in person (or all of the above, we have plenty of time to unpack the origins of our collective Bomber fandom)? What brought you to Bomber Nation? Please be as descriptive as possible, although this is not a test, I will be grading the essays in my mind and judging you all silently, as I am sure you will be with me.

In university, worked at the movie theater (Silvercity) as a projectionist as well, so could often keep track of the game easily as I'd listen to Irving while threading shows... could see the scoreboard between East/West booth of the theater. I can thread a 45-mm film projector in under a minute, which goes on the long list of non-employable skills I acquired from that job - wasn't all bad though, threading film was super-easy once you got the hang of it, managers were pretty laid back and was able to graduate university debt-free as a result of it (had class during the day, would work the night shifts for shows during the week).

As a kid, was always a fan, but my first real live experience that was memorable was in 2010 when Bombers came back from a 21-point deficit in the 4th quarter. Absolutely crazy game and was the first one I attended live with my then-girlfriend (now wife). Next year we agreed to get season tickets and have enjoyed it ever since.

Side-note, because of that game, my wife and I never, ever ever ever leave a CFL game early. Which resulted in witnessing the Montreal miracle a few years back, which was also awesome. She's also even more optimistic than I am, I remember during their abysmal 2013 season she'd also say "at least it's an outing..." which was, technically, true.

So here is mine. I was vaguely aware of the Bombers as we entered the 1980's (in fact, Ray Jauch once came to my house for some unknown reason and I only sort of who him as the Bomber head coach but knew enough to be in awe of a big time sports figure as a young impressionable lad of 9, even if I had no clue about the team). My school was even asked to participate in the team's 50th anniversary celebration by running out on the field to make a giant number "50" in formation. I declined to join in, possibly the first, last and only time I would snub the Big Blue. I did later make up for it, as I will relay in this memory.

So on to 1981, where the memories take shape. First, I remember being at my cottage with no electricity, no TV, propane heating, and only a battery powered AM/.FM radio. We were at a friend's cabion and all the younger kids were playing a game of charades, while my dad was glued to the radio listening to Bob Irving, Ken Ploen and Cactus Jack Wells call the Bomber game. I was curious about what the supposed big deal was and he said the Bombers were beating the Alouettes, who had just stocked up on a bunch of big time NFL talent and were looking to take over the league. The biggest name of all was Vince Farragamo, fresh off his Super Bowl appearance. As the night wore on, I saw my dad getting more and more excited and pleased, and kept getting score updates (32-2 at the half, over 40 now, over 50 now). I could tell this was something monumental, so he explained what it meant to take down the big dog and for this community owned team to rout the "let's buy a championship" Nelson Skalbania run Als. The next day, the Free Press ran a picture of Vince on the turf after another sack looking up at the refs, and his face was the epitome of "the agony of defeat" in a way that the ski jumper wipeout will never quite capture,. I have looked high and low to find that pic and cannot find it on the internet, but it is burned in my brain. I also remember my dad seeing that photo and saying "Boy, if that picture doesn't say it all. THAT is what a beaten man looks like. You can literally see him wondering what he got himself into coming up here".

So that radio memory is my first inkling, and was followed by my first TV memory of Dieter Brock completing 41 of 47 passes in Ottawa, and then listening to the season finale against Calgary where Eugene Goodlow caught a then-record 15 passes to become the first receiver ever to hit 100 receptions in a year. My school then decided to participate once again in the pre-game ceremony for the West semi-final, this time singing the anthem. Knowing now a good thing when I saw it, I happily jumped on board. (Side note, I got a second anthem singing gig a few years later, but in much warmer weather). And my dad thought it would be fun to not just go to sing, but watch the game, so my first Bomber live attended game ever was the 1981 West Semi-Final vs. BC. Bombers heavily favoured.

These were the days before wind chill was invented, and my recall may be skewed, but in my school uniform with dress shoes and not wearing the proper snowsuit/snow boots combo the rest of the game, I am forever convinced that it was minus 18 without wind chill and probably minus 30 or worse with. And the Bombers just sucked that day. Brock could not finish a drive, Trevor Kennard missed 3 of 4 field goals or something like that, including a couple of chip shots from inside 25 yards, and they lost 15-11. I was cold, I was miserable, I was frustrated...….I was hooked.

And next year my dad bought us season tickets, and we had them every year until he died in 2017, and I took them over and have them to this day, where I now take my family every chance I get. And lots of joy, heartache, but zero regret and a lifetime of great memories since then.

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

A key to any good essay - a strong opening sentence.

Great memory. I too remember "The Human Torch", and although I always rooted for a Bomber blowout win, I actually wanted one 'Rider score just so Monteith would light that Sterno can on his head. Pyrotechnics, baby. (I like to think when the Bombers won that game 56-0 he actually lit it once out of frustration and got a big cheer from the Bomber faithful for his efforts).

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

In university, worked at the movie theater (Silvercity) as a projectionist as well, so could often keep track of the game easily as I'd listen to Irving while threading shows... could see the scoreboard between East/West booth of the theater. I can thread a 45-mm film projector in under a minute, which goes on the long list of non-employable skills I acquired from that job - wasn't all bad though, threading film was super-easy once you got the hang of it, managers were pretty laid back and was able to graduate university debt-free as a result of it (had class during the day, would work the night shifts for shows during the week).

As a kid, was always a fan, but my first real live experience that was memorable was in 2010 when Bombers came back from a 21-point deficit in the 4th quarter. Absolutely crazy game and was the first one I attended live with my then-girlfriend (now wife). Next year we agreed to get season tickets and have enjoyed it ever since.

Side-note, because of that game, my wife and I never, ever ever ever leave a CFL game early. Which resulted in witnessing the Montreal miracle a few years back, which was also awesome. She's also even more optimistic than I am, I remember during their abysmal 2013 season she'd also say "at least it's an outing..." which was, technically, true.

You've got yourself a keeper there for sure, anyone who can find the joy in even the most low moments will feed your soul for life.

I think my 1st memory related to the bombers would be lining up at a Taco bell (I think) to get an autograph from Matt Dunigan. I was very excited to meet him, but when it was my turn in line I froze. I don't think I said a single word to the man. But I got him to sign a poster and a hat. I still have that hat...though it doesn't fit anymore. And the autograph is basically worn away (I wore it with pride as a kid). 

I can't remember what my first "bomber game" memory is. But other things that stick out would be racing my brother down the ramps at the old stadium after the game. Just running around the stadium alone during the game when I got bored.  Watching the mascots beat up on each other and the amazing entrances from Buzz and Boomer. As a kid those things really made the difference between me being bored at home games and able to have a good time.

I do remember asking my dad if we were going to a bomber game one Sunday afternoon and him being pretty surprised cause he didn't think I'd want to go. It was during the Reinbold era and well we all know how those teams were. I remember it was against Calgary (Who I hated) and I knew there was a good chance they were going to lose...but maybe just maybe they'd win. So I wanted to be there just in case. Win or lose though I Just wanted to be in that atmosphere.

I also remember having the ONE AND ONLY time a stuffed football toy was launched to the upper deck right at me (a kid at the time) I put my hands up to catch it and the motherfucker (an adult) in front of me reached up and caught it before I got a chance. That was the closest I ever got to catching one of those at a game and I was crushed!! Those sling shots could really launch those things.

I also remember fights breaking out between fans in the upper deck. Making fun of the west side and leaving games with sore hands from banging on the back of the benches. Man I miss that place.

And how could I forget the Happy Honker! As a kid I loved that part of the post game!

Edited by Bigblue204

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So on to 1981, where the memories take shape. First, I remember being at my cottage with no electricity, no TV, propane heating, and only a battery powered AM/.FM radio. We were at a friend's cabion and all the younger kids were playing a game of charades, while my dad was glued to the radio listening to Bob Irving, Ken Ploen and Cactus Jack Wells call the Bomber game. I was curious about what the supposed big deal was and he said the Bombers were beating the Alouettes, who had just stocked up on a bunch of big time NFL talent and were looking to take over the league. The biggest name of all was Vince Farragamo, fresh off his Super Bowl appearance. As the night wore on, I saw my dad getting more and more excited and pleased, and kept getting score updates (32-2 at the half, over 40 now, over 50 now). I could tell this was something monumental, so he explained what it meant to take down the big dog and for this community owned team to rout the "let's buy a championship" Nelson Skalbania run Als. The next day, the Free Press ran a picture of Vince on the turf after another sack looking up at the refs, and his face was the epitome of "the agony of defeat" in a way that the ski jumper wipeout will never quite capture,. I have looked high and low to find that pic and cannot find it on the internet, but it is burned in my brain. I also remember my dad seeing that photo and saying "Boy, if that picture doesn't say it all. THAT is what a beaten man looks like. You can literally see him wondering what he got himself into coming up here".

Okay so if you are City of Winnipeg property taxpayer and have a public library card, you can access the Winnipeg Free Press archives. The photo you are referring to here occurs on page 55. To access it, you just need a Winnipeg Library Card (link below)

https://access-newspaperarchive-com.wpl-dbs.winnipeg.ca/ca/manitoba/winnipeg/winnipeg-free-press/1981/08-10/page-55

I can also screenshot and send it to you if you'd prefer that instead... that or teach me how to post images on here lol (I still don't know how).

Edited by Eternal optimist

Honestly, I wasn't a die-hard fan of the team until probably the early 2000s. But I do remember having a whole bunch of Blue Bomber posters in my bedroom growing up. I can't remember where they came from but they were all the same size and style. Each one had a player on it, except for a couple special ones that were team photos, mascots, cheerleaders.  But they were all the same style so they must have all come from some sort of promotion.

For all I know I could be completely mis-remembering this as I was pretty young.  But that would be my first memory.

The other memory that could qualify for "first memory"...I still kind of remember Darryl Sampson coming to our church one time and speaking. I don't know if I actually did meet him or not. I think I did.  I just remember people talking about it.

First bomber memory: my dad attends the 1982 Western Final.  Bombers had Moon and company on the ropes, but Kennerd blew the game.  Remember vividly my dad being angry about that when he comes home the following week, giving a variation of the modern "you had one job" speech.

Second bomber memory: September 24th 1983.  My first live game.  A huge week in Bomber history, Dieter Brock has just been traded.  Starter Nickie Hall gets hurt, Clements comes on in relief with like two days of practice and he looks pretty rough, but Willard Reaves ran wild and we pave the Riders 50-19. I remember wanting the Roughriders to score because I want to see the Flame more. (lol, just like @TrueBlue4ever) I had not figured things out yet, I was only eleven.  The roar of the crowd was amazing.  I'd never seen 25,000 people in one place before; I grew up in the deep deep sticks and Winnipeg was the big city to me.  Came away a Bomber fan for life.

Third bomber memory: October 1984.  Bombers are cruising.  I see them beat the Eskimos 30-11 and then somehow I get to go to practice the next week without paying or anything!  I sat in the stands and watched the practice near a couple of teenage girls who were really really into Trevor Kennerd (?). I watch them practice a fake field goal with Cameron passing the ball.  (They ran that play in BC the next week, it was a shitshow)  After practice I get autographs from Clements (who seems grumpy and irritated, but my dad explained that he was working and probably had other things on his mind) and Reaves, who is cheerful and who tells me he's gonna get his 1800 in BC next week.  Those autographs were in a cheap little steno notebook, I've laminated them and they are on my wall now and they were in my jacket pocket at the 2011 Grey Cup.  Didn't help though.

Later, David Shaw notices me hanging around and gets me to hold the locker room emergency exit door open for him so he can run to his car or something. 

Edited by johnzo

Probably my earliest memory is the a Grey Cup party my parents had for the 1993 Grey Cup remember very little. First in game memory was we got tickets at school i think it was a year or two later and my grandma took me. Remember they destroyed the TiCats I burn my hand badly when I spilled my hot chocolate. After that wanted to go to games but no one would take me so when I turned 16 in 200 and could drive from out of town to games I bought season tickets had them since. Now we go as a family.

I don't know what my earliest on-field memory of the team is but I do vividly remember meeting Tyrone Jones when I was around 8 or 9. 

My dad knew Tyrone and we happened to run into him one day.  I remember being absolutely speechless and could barely get out a hello.  I couldn't believe that I was meeting this guy I had heard about all about on the radio and I was even more shocked that my dad knew him.

I was hooked on the Bombers after that (I was particularly focused on defensive players back then).  I'm sure my dad was sick of me asking questions about Ty and what other players he knew, but he never let on that he was.

On 2020-08-20 at 10:01 AM, BBlink said:

Honestly, I wasn't a die-hard fan of the team until probably the early 2000s. But I do remember having a whole bunch of Blue Bomber posters in my bedroom growing up. I can't remember where they came from but they were all the same size and style. Each one had a player on it, except for a couple special ones that were team photos, mascots, cheerleaders.  But they were all the same style so they must have all come from some sort of promotion.

I had this poster when it came out in 1970 from CFL properties. Had it in my room for years. When it came time to take it down the edges ripped & I ended up throwing it away. I recently bought another from a fan selling his on CFL Collectibles which is a facebook memorabilia page.

The poster was pretty beat up & showed its age of 50 years so I had it made into an acrylic print. Cost me $270 but all the wrinkles & tears as well as tape glue on the sides were scanned away & I got a beautiful rendition back that is better than the original. The bonus is that I have the original inside a container stored away in a safe place at home here. This is acrylic print is proudly displayed in my rec room. It means more to me now with the CFL season cancelled & all this uncertainty with the league coming back than it did when I was a teenage fan. Not knowing very much about the history of the league half a century ago. 

Acrylic prints while very bright do reflect the light. I should have taken this standing just a little bit to the right or left as you can see the light reflecting in the photograph. It still is outstanding & I'm glad I paid the big bucks to get it done as it's a collector's item. The funny part is my son is a big CFL fan living in Seattle. He was born in Calgary & loves the Stamps but I told him this will be his someday as I want it kept in the family. He knows how important it is to me. 

Image may contain: text that says 'WINNIPEG W 21'

Edited by SpeedFlex27

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Just speaking of Bombers memories, the Bombers Alumni FB account re-shared this fun Ed Tait piece about some memorable moments, including "Troy Kopp's 15 Minutes Of Fame" (it's his birthday today...) 

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/07/look-back-memorable-bombers-games/

Kopp is lucky to be alive to celebrate his birthday today... Didn't he roll his truck on the Trans Canada somewhere near Golden, BC. 

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kopp is lucky to be alive to celebrate his birthday today... Didn't he roll his truck on the Trans Canada somewhere near Golden, BC. 

Tried to pass a semi on the gravel shoulder, lost control and drove into the oncoming lane where he hit another semi head on, then spun back into his lane and was hit by the semi he just passed. 

I came to Canada in 2006. Dont know anything about football or CFL. Basketball is the main sports back in my native country. But I like sports since I was a kid. I remember watched a Steelers game on my uncle’s cable when I was young. Probably that was mid-80’s.

Then in 2007 when we got our own house, one late afternoon I was looking for a sports show on TV to watch and saw this game WPG vs SSK. It was the Grey Cup game. It was a good game early on and Stegall, Roberts and Glenn all stood out for me. Unfortunately they lost the game. But been a Bombers fan ever since.

59 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Then in 2007 when we got our own house, one late afternoon I was looking for a sports show on TV to watch and saw this game WPG vs SSK. It was the Grey Cup game. It was a good game early on and Stegall, Roberts and Glenn all stood out for me. Unfortunately they lost the game. But been a Bombers fan ever since.

Glenn didn't play and Roberts showed up hung over and was complete **** in that game.