2020 NHL Playoffs

My only objection to the VGK winning the Cup is the still fresh memory of the Jets 1.0 entering the NHL on completely different criteria. 
They were viewed as being too competitive to play as a complete team and so they had a “reclamation draft that took our best players.  And we were “allowed’ to have the 18th pick in the draft.

Oh, and we got to keep 2 goalies and 2 skaters.
In the ensuing expansion’ draft all the remaining NHL teams got to protect 15 skaters and 2 goalies.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Man, what are you guys watching?

If DAL/TPL win their next game the SC would start Friday? Saturday?

Not hockey. Couldn't pay me to watch that now.

NBA has been good, EPL has started, MLB every night, and now the NFL. I've even watched a couple of F1 races, which I haven't done in years. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Hockey is not important any longer. They made a mockery of continuing the 2020 season, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they rush to get to the next series.

Dont forget, they want to start a full schedule for the next season. 
Insert massive facepalm here......

I don't have a problem with them starting back up. They've done a good job of keeping their games on the air and used the bubble appropriately. But, I just don't care. I suppose if the Jets were in it, I would watch those games. 

52 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Hockey is not important any longer. They made a mockery of continuing the 2020 season, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they rush to get to the next series.

Dont forget, they want to start a full schedule for the next season. 
Insert massive facepalm here......

The NHL is a business at the end of the day. Granted the format for this return to play was a bit meh but the bubble system has proven to work well in preventing an outbreak amongst players, coaches, etc. while allowing the playoffs to continue.

If a full 2020-21 regular season can take place, what's the issue? A sports league needs to operate to remain financially viable, regardless of restrictions or conditions in place to do so.

Anecdotally, I just don't care about the teams now left standing in this post-season. But if the Garbage Knights lose tonight, I'll smile briefly. 

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The NHL is a business at the end of the day. Granted the format for this return to play was a bit meh but the bubble system has proven to work well in preventing an outbreak amongst players, coaches, etc. while allowing the playoffs to continue.

If a full 2020-21 regular season can take place, what's the issue? A sports league needs to operate to remain financially viable, regardless of restrictions or conditions in place to do so.

Anecdotally, I just don't care about the teams now left standing in this post-season. But if the Garbage Knights lose tonight, I'll smile briefly. 

Kudos to the NHL for developing a system that works within a bubble. 
There is no issue with that. 
But looking forward, with a full schedule as their aim, well, that could pose many problems with the Virus’s end nowhere in sight.

How many bubble cities would be needed for that? How long will players be isolated? 
Now we’re talking all the teams, not just 2/3s. 
I hope they reconsider and come up with a shorter schedule, more restricted, with chosen bubble cities that make sense, like they did this time.

To me, many games were too rushed this time around. 5 games in 7 days does not promote the best hockey no matter which climate you play in.

20 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

But looking forward, with a full schedule as their aim, well, that could pose many problems with the Virus’s end nowhere in sight.

How many bubble cities would be needed for that? How long will players be isolated? 
I hope they reconsider and come up with a shorter schedule, more restricted, with chosen bubble cities that make sense, like they did this time.

To me, many games were too rushed this time around. 5 games in 7 days does not promote the best hockey no matter which climate you play in.

They should play a couple times a day to get the season done quickly. It's boring hockey anyhow but I would love to see them just bang out a season in three months. It would be more entertaining than what they have been putting out. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

24 teams vs. 31 teams isn't a huge increase. If the league can make 12 teams per bubble work as it has, a similar system with four bubbles* seems pretty manageable. Logistically, however, I'm not sure how that would work with interdivisional or cross-conference play. It'll ultimately come down to what the NHL and NHLPA decide but I'm quite certain both parties want to maximize their opportunities, leading me to believe it'll be as close to an 82-game season as possible for 2020-21. I obviously can't opine on the details but I'd expect the restrictions and rules to be similar, if not identical to the current ones in place.

At this point, I'd say it's not about promoting the best hockey; it's about promoting the business of hockey as "normally" as possible. That's what the NHL is first and foremost: a multi-billion dollar business and that means any hockey is better than no hockey.

* PAC hub in Vancouver, CEN hub in Edmonton, MET hub in Toronto, ATL hub in Montreal (if the NHL decides to keep it all in Canada based on what's going on with COVID-19)

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

* PAC hub in Vancouver, CEN hub in Edmonton, MET hub in Toronto, ATL hub in Montreal (if the NHL decides to keep it all in Canada based on what's going on with COVID-19)

I think PAC = Edmonton and CEN = Winnipeg if they're keeping a Canada only solution. 

Could also have Edm/Cgy for all West teams. Could maintain a bubble shuttling between the cities. Also Toronto and Montreal for an East bubble. Shuttle the teams on a bus. Or, better yet, Ottawa and Montreal. 

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I think the NHL is looking at MLB & to lesser extent NFL as to whether it'll just be back to normal schedule.

You dont hear many Marlins players getting Covid these day :D

Sorry, but the MLB format has been a disaster. So many games missed. NFL is TBD. 

NBA, NHL, MLS, CPL, got it right with the bubble. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

NHL has been fun to watch, but we're down to teams I don't care about. I'm excited for the next season, however that looks. Sounding like January-August 2021 for the next full season. 

NBA is looking, optimistically, to start on Xmas Day. That, for me, is when the season starts anyhow.