NHL play-in and playoff picks

Well, time to make our "second season" predictions.

Pick the winners of the play-in round (and number of games if you want), and also rank the "top 4 bracket" results.

EAST

Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington, Philadelphia (rank 1 to 4)

Pittsburgh vs. Montreal

Carolina vs. NY Rangers

NY Islanders vs. Florida

Toronto vs. Columbus

WEST

St. Louis, Colorado, Las Vegas, Dallas (rank 1 to 4)

Edmonton vs. Chicago

Nashville vs. Arizona

Vancouver vs. Minnesota

Calgary vs. Winnipeg

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I think the only predictions we should be trying to make is "Can they actually finish this thing without having to shut it down due to COVID"?

The bubble works look at in Florida where the pandemic rages and MLS and NBA have not had a positive test since they got in theres.

As for the picks:

Tampa, Philly, Boston, Washington in that order

Pit over Mtl (don’t get the Carey Price love  from those who see this upset as a given)

NYR over Carolina (gut over head here)

NYI over Fla (I want to believe in the Panthers, but I wouldn’t bet against Barry Trotz)

Columbus over Toronto (more Tortorella playoff magic)

Colorado, St. Louis, Vegas, Dallas in that order (with the top 2 possibly switching and the bottom 2 possibly switching, but a good sized gap in play between 2 and 3)

Oilers over Hawks (young guns beat out too old guns)

Nashville over Arizona (boy do I want the ‘Yotes to pull of the upset, and if they show up they can take the wasting-their-talent-with-no-desire Preds, but I think they just won’t show up) 

Vancouver over Minny (Wild used to be a good to very good team that never showed up come the playoffs, now they are a less good team that needs to re-build against the hot newcomer)

Jets over Flames (more top end talent up front, and no contest in net)

Ill play 

Pitt over MTL.. Comes down to special teams. Montreal is garbage. 

NYR over Carolina. ( gut over heart here.)Love the fun young canes but the Rags were the hottest team in the league when the covid hit. 

NYI over Florida. Florida used to playing with nobody in stands tho. 

Columbus over Toronto. Just because i think a host city gets eliminated first. 

West 

Jets over Flames. No chance in Helle for Calgary

Hawks over Oilers. Call it a gut feeling but both bubble city teams home early 

Van over Minny. Minny is declining quick. 

Nash over Zona. Lots of off ice issues there with the Yotes. Their nerd GM just left. 

Sure, why not....

Prediction one: playing in the bubble, this thing will go through til the end without a major hitch

On to the hockey predictions:

East:
Tampa (1), Boston (2), Washington (3), Philly(4)
Pitt 3 - Mtl 0
Car 3 - NYR 2
NYI 3 - Fla 1
CBJ 3 - Tor 2 (just because :)

West:
Colorado (1), St Louis (2), Vegas (3), Dallas (4)
Edm 3 - Chi 1
Nash 3 - Ari 2
Van 3 - Minn 1
Wpg 3 - Cgy 1

• 2 weeks later...

On to Round 2 (Round 1? I don't know what to call this season any more)

(1) Las Vegas vs. (12) Chicago

(2) Colorado vs. (11) Arizona

(3) Dallas vs. (8) Calgary

(4) St. Louis vs. (7) Vancouver

(1) Philadelphia vs. (12) Montreal

(2) Tampa Bay vs. (9) Columbus

(3) Washington vs. (7) NY Islanders

(4) Boston vs. (6) Carolina

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

On to Round 2 (Round 1? I don't know what to call this season any more)

(1) Las Vegas vs. (12) Chicago

(2) Colorado vs. (11) Arizona

(3) Dallas vs. (8) Calgary

(4) St. Louis vs. (7) Vancouver

(1) Philadelphia vs. (12) Montreal

(2) Tampa Bay vs. (9) Columbus

(3) Washington vs. (7) NY Islanders

(4) Boston vs. (6) Carolina

Need to start another pool.

I like VEG, COL, DAL, STL, PHL, TPA, NYI, CAR

So less than impressive qualifying round picks from me, so let's try again.

Vegas over Chicago - trusting the experts that the Knights are as good as advertised, not really following them much myself

Colorado over Arizona - Coyotes were outplayed by Nashville but snuck through, Avs are a beast and will not have as much trouble scoring

Calgary over Dallas - won't believe in the Stars until they give me a reason to, they were slumping badly before the break and did not really pick it up upon resumption, Calgary looks built for the playoffs if Talbot remains hot

St. Louis over Vancouver - really a coin flip here, but I'm going on Stanley Cup pedigree here and ignoring each team's respective first round showing.

Montreal over Philadelphia - if the Flyers had not gotten top seed I'd feel more comfortable picking this upset, but despite their great showing in round robin, Carey Price was more than brilliant in upsetting the Pens, who I think are better than the Flyers. Guess I should listen to those who bought into the Price magic, goaltending can carry you all the way in the playoffs, and maybe he is getting into that groove. Philly the better team, but the best player is in bleu, blanc, et rouge.

Tampa Bay over Columbus - Even without Hedman and Stamkos, Tampa has something to prove and will be more resiliant, and bad Torts will sulk after losses and the Jackets will not fluke out a comeback win or survive a big collapse like against the withered Leafs.

NY Islanders over Washington - In Trotz we trust

Carolina over Boston - have no clue what to make of either team here. Couldn't even name 5 Canes players if I tried, and Boston can't be so good in the regular season and then fold so badly after the hiatus, but there has to be some narrative to continue to discredit this year's playoff format, so add the President's Trophy winners losing the #1 seed and then getting bounced to the list of complaints of "Pens should have got a bye, Canadiens should not have qualified, 5 game series is too short, double lottery is stupid, etc. etc."