Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What I said was half serious. But this is for you from 2011...

https://rabble.ca/news/2011/07/save-our-jets-new-winnipeg-jets-logo-sacrifices-nostalgia-militarism

https://www.straight.com/news/derrick-okeefe-new-winnipeg-jets-logo-another-sign-creeping-militarism-under-stephen-harper

There were some people who objected to the name & logo 9 years ago & it made the news briefly back then. But 2011 was a different world than today with the Redskins & Eskimos names being changed, BLM & demonstrations in the US & Canada. Had the Thrashers moved to  Winnipeg in 2020 & renamed the team the Jets with a military logo as well as publicly admitting the logo was a tribute to the Canadian military, there might have been some serious pushback. Or Mark Chipman might have decided in 2020 that it's not worth the hassle & nickname the team the Manitoba Moose. 

So, don't think that at some point, that people won't come after the name or the logo. I think it's inevitable. 

You must've had to dig pretty deep on Google to find those terrible op-eds. Did you even read them? They're utter trash. So, while some left-leaning opinion pieces from two relatively unknown bloggers whining about some fictitious connection to Harper militarism/jingoism sure do qualify as bitching, they do not even remotely qualify as a movement. And certainly not in the same hemisphere as those wanting to rid sports of racially insensitive team names.

This ridiculous narrative you've grabbed onto with the Jets is nowhere near the same as the actual situations regarding the Redskins or the Eskimos. Get a grip on reality.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You must've had to dig pretty deep on Google to find those terrible op-eds. Did you even read them? They're utter trash. So, while some left-leaning opinion pieces from two relatively unknown bloggers whining about some fictitious connection to Harper militarism/jingoism sure do qualify as bitching, they do not even remotely qualify as a movement. And certainly not in the same hemisphere as those wanting to rid sports of racially insensitive team names.

This ridiculous narrative you've grabbed onto with the Jets is nowhere near the same as the actual situations regarding the Redskins or the Eskimos. Get a grip on reality.

Okay, you have your opinion & I have mine. Better hope you're right.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay, you have your opinion & I have mine. Better hope you're right.

It's not about being right. But if one were to look at things objectively and rationally since the Jets 2.0 became a thing, the only "stink" surrounding the Winnipeg Jets lately was some white-guilt afflicted whackadoodle crying about the Whiteout Party last spring. It died fast and that was the end of it.

Two shitty obscure op-eds from nearly a decade ago by a couple of whiny losers counts for next to nothing, if not nothing at all.

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's not about being right. But if one were to look at things objectively and rationally since the Jets 2.0 became a thing, the only "stink" surrounding the Winnipeg Jets lately was some white-guilt afflicted whackadoodle crying about the Whiteout Party last spring. It died fast and that was the end of it.

Two shitty obscure op-eds from nearly a decade ago by a couple of whiny losers counts for next to nothing, if not nothing at all.

Why am I arguing this with you? How stupid is this?? I said the name offended some people a decade ago & perhaps they'll go after the Jets name & logo at some point in the future. You've been upset with me for 2 days now like somehow I'm leading the charge. Well, I'm not & I truly don't care if your sensibilities are upset. I'm done. Go find someone else to bother. There'll be no further response from me.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why am I arguing this with you? How stupid is this?? I said the name offended some people a decade ago & perhaps they'll go after the Jets name & logo at some point in the future. You've been upset with me for 2 days now like somehow I'm leading the charge. Well, I'm not & I truly don't care if your sensibilities are upset. I'm done. Go find someone else to bother. There'll be no further response from me.

It's pretty clear who's upset here. You make some claim steeped in hyperbole, it gets challenged, you piss and moan, project, and then run away with your tail between your legs. Classic. It's funny you call others snowflakes.

There were absolutely small groups of people being very vocal about their dislike of the jets name and logo, calling it 'creeping militarism'. It was discussed nationally in the news and dragged on here on social media til their concerns were drowned out by the 'Go Jets Go' chant. Google is your friend, guys. It's weird to claim nobody made a stink about the name/logo when it was so hotly debated, if only briefly.

You might recall NATO forces including Canadian fighter jets were bombing the piss out of Gadaffi in Libya around the time of the reveal. Canadian troops had been on the ground in Afghanistan for a decade. It's fair to be concerned about Canada's affairs in global military operations and it's fair to be concerned about normalizing tools of war via sports... but no, I don't think these people are making a resurgence and stripping the name and logo off our Jets.

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

There were absolutely small groups of people being very vocal about their dislike of the jets name and logo, calling it 'creeping militarism'. It was discussed nationally in the news and dragged on here on social media til their concerns were drowned out by the 'Go Jets Go' chant. Google is your friend, guys. It's weird to claim nobody made a stink about the name/logo when it was so hotly debated, if only briefly.

You might recall NATO forces including Canadian fighter jets were bombing the piss out of Gadaffi in Libya around the time of the reveal. Canadian troops had been on the ground in Afghanistan for a decade. It's fair to be concerned about Canada's affairs in global military operations and it's fair to be concerned about normalizing tools of war via sports... but no, I don't think these people are making a resurgence and stripping the name and logo off our Jets.

When camping I fly my Bomber and Jet flags and I’m asked a lot if I’m in the military. It’s come to the point now I tell them I’m a fighter pilot. Makes for a more interesting conversation. :)

Jets? Lol. Man.. When i think racism i totally think airplanes and military for sure. Yup. Definitely dont think Cleveland Indians or Redskins or Eskimos or Browns or anything like that.. I think airplanes. Good god. More ppl showed up at the hugs over masks rally at birds hill.  4 ppl showed up btw. 

Edited by Goalie