Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

The cold dispassionate clinical use of a racist term isn't necessarily racist. But there is a time and a place and maybe this just isn't the place.

That is how I see it as well.  I understood the original intent and the point being made, but it spiralled out of control soon afterwards. 

16 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

This is even weirder. I've heard this change would cost $$$ and fans would be staying away

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/edmonton-cfl-team-sees-merchandise-sales-spike-name-change/

this isn't terribly surprising.... if for some reason the Bombers ever had to change their name... I know I'd try to snap up a bunch of gear with "Blue Bombers" written on it...  

47 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Good thing we not copy Joe Louis's nickname 100%

The Cancel Culture won't be reading history books if they become offended with the word  "Bombers". It won't be about Joe Louis. It'll be about war. It will be about being offended with such a vile name. It will be about B52's carpet bombing North Vietnam. It'll be about the Enola Gay, a B29 dropping the Atomic bomb on Hiroshima. With our military inspired hockey logo, they'll come after the Jets as well.  They'd be smart to go back to... At least it looks like a commercial jet in the logo. 

See the source image

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2020-07-23 at 11:49 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Cancel Culture won't be reading history books if they become offended with the word  "Bombers". It won't be about Joe Louis. It'll be about war. It will be about being offended with such a vile name. It will be about B52's carpet bombing North Vietnam. It'll be about the Enola Gay, a B29 dropping the Atomic bomb on Hiroshima. With our military inspired hockey logo, they'll come after the Jets as well.  They'd be smart to go back to... At least it looks like a commercial jet in the logo. 

See the source image

Someone missed their morning meds...

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Someone missed their morning meds...

Nope there was bitching in 2011 from the Cancel Culture about the Jets logo & name honouring the military. But the movement was small. Today, they could pressure the team to change the name as no doubt  some snowflakes will find it offensive. The old Jets had nothing to do with the military. Ben Hatskin was friends with AFL New York Jets owner Sonny Werblin & liked the name so he chose it first for his WCHL junior team & then for his WHA team. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nope there was bitching in 2011 from the Cancel Culture about the Jets logo & name honouring the military. But the movement was small. Today, they could pressure the team to change the name as no doubt  some snowflakes will find it offensive. The old Jets had nothing to do with the military. Ben Hatskin was friends with AFL New York Jets owner Sonny Werblin & liked the name so he chose it first for his WCHL junior team & then for his WHA team. 

What bitching or movement, big or small, was there in 2011 opposing the Jets' name when the Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg?

The irony of calling others snowflakes while hyperbolically whining about them coming after the local NHL team's name is comical. You're reaching - badly.

On 2020-07-22 at 11:53 AM, Mark H. said:

All references to a racial slur have been removed.  Please do not use the slur or anything related to it again. 

Any continuation of this usage or anything related to it - will result in an immediate suspension. 

What did I miss? Can you explain what you're talking about so I'll know. 

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What bitching or movement, big or small, was there in 2011 opposing the Jets' name when the Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg?

The irony of calling others snowflakes while hyperbolically whining about them coming after the local NHL team's name is comical. You're reaching - badly.

What I said was half serious. But this is for you from 2011...

https://rabble.ca/news/2011/07/save-our-jets-new-winnipeg-jets-logo-sacrifices-nostalgia-militarism

https://www.straight.com/news/derrick-okeefe-new-winnipeg-jets-logo-another-sign-creeping-militarism-under-stephen-harper

There were some people who objected to the name & logo 9 years ago & it made the news briefly back then. But 2011 was a different world than today with the Redskins & Eskimos names being changed, BLM & demonstrations in the US & Canada. Had the Thrashers moved to  Winnipeg in 2020 & renamed the team the Jets with a military logo as well as publicly admitting the logo was a tribute to the Canadian military, there might have been some serious pushback. Or Mark Chipman might have decided in 2020 that it's not worth the hassle & nickname the team the Manitoba Moose. 

So, don't think that at some point, that people won't come after the name or the logo. I think it's inevitable. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27