Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

Why would they name it empire?  It doesn't make sense and also some people could be offended based on the fact that empires usually is associated with evil and murdering of innocent people.   If they are trying to get away from controversy then that would not be a smart choice IMO.  

44 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why would they name it empire?  It doesn't make sense and also some people could be offended based on the fact that empires usually is associated with evil and murdering of innocent people.   If they are trying to get away from controversy then that would not be a smart choice IMO.  

I understand Washington will be renaming their team the Red Wolves. The Grey Wolves & Black Wolves are upset. Black Wolves Matter are planning a mass wolf demonstration at Washington's training camp next week in protest.

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Some people can't get out of bed without being offended by something. Google 'Empire' and see how many business names come up for Winnipeg alone. Quite obviously 'Empire' is a far more acceptable a name judging by how many people are currently using the term without backlash. Besides, you can't worry about offending every cry baby... these probably would be the same people that think the Jets name and logo is too militaristic and they can go kick rocks. Besides all of that... Star Wars theme music

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I understand Washington will be renaming their team the Red Wolves. The Grey Wolves & Black Wolves are upset. Black Wolves Matter are planning a mass wolf demonstration at Washington's training camp next week in protest.

I get the second half of your post is a very unfunny joke... but are you serious about the Red Wolves part?... or was that just the set up to the bad joke?

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I get the second half of your post is a very unfunny joke... but are you serious about the Red Wolves part?... or was that just the set up to the bad joke?

Nothing official but quite a few rumours out there Red Wolves is a front runner and gaining support. 

Wildlife groups are apparently supporting the name as they think added visibility can help the endangered species.  

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/07/13/red-wolves-what-you-need-to-know/

Yeah, I think empire is overused anyways. Elk? If I were a fan of theirs, I wouldn’t be impressed. Thankfully, the Blue Bombers is a safe name to keep. I would still go with Eskies as it’s still a tie-in with the past and nowadays refers to an Australian brand name for coolers. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Empire has strong connotations of colonialism and taking over by force. Canada was/is part of the British Empire. If the Eskimos are going to change their name they should use something more benign like Elk.

Exactly ,  someone will find it offensive and they'll have to yet again change the name.  

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The black wolves matter protest has turned into rioters and looters. Stole all my meat from my freezer.

People somehow using this to "make fun" of the Black Lives Matter movement...........I want to say it makes me shake my head, but it's a lot worse than that. It's unbelievable to me that people don't get the severity of that, in this day and age. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Empire has strong connotations of colonialism and taking over by force. Canada was/is part of the British Empire. If the Eskimos are going to change their name they should use something more benign like Elk.

I was just thinking the same thing ha...  I'm like you can't actually get more colonial than Empire...