Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

19 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Blatant and intentional? Sure, but ignorance doesn't mean what you think it does. It doesn't mean 'disagrees with you' or 'disagrees with the White Guilt movement'. I understand the issues and I know what happened in the past. I simply see no value in changing words or changing how we see the past or removing things that don't match our modern sensibilities. I see putting a 2020 filter on the past as whitewashing (I don't know or care what the politically correct term is these days) what actually happened so we can 'pretend' that it never did. I do see value in addressing the actual issues.

White Supremacists and White Guilt'ists are two sides of the same coin. The supremacists think they are superior because they're white. The Guilt'ists think they are superior because they feel guilty about what their race did in the past. Both sides think that people who don't agree with them are ignorant and are missing the point. If they'd just listen, they'd surely come to the same conclusions that each side has. I'm not on either side of that coin.

Where you're born, who your parents are, where their ancestors came from, what your race is, what your religion is, your financial situation, your sex, who you love, and many other ways we choose define ourselves and other groups to are all totally random. Mankind needs to move past being proud of any of those things and needs to stop letting the differences keep us separated, but I suspect we never will never happen.

<Puts on tin foil hat> The world has enough resources to feed, house, clothe, provide medical care, etc for everyone. The problem isn't resources. It's power and greed. 1% of people own the world. The next 9% run it. They have a huge vested interest in keeping the 90% squabbling. If we stopped, then 90% would do better and the top 10% would do worse.<Takes off tin foil hat> /endthread

TLDR. Just another self-righteous rant methinks.

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I love how you don't realize that you're the angry office dude...  its kind of endearing actually.

I'm not the angry office dude. I don't think we need to get the 'controversy' out of the news. I just thought the cartoon was funny.

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

TLDR. Just another self-righteous rant methinks.

Maybe you should read things that you don't agree with so you wouldn't continually miss the points.

FTR: The Eskimos poll results are in:

Eskimos board chair Janice Agrios released results of research conducted with the Inuit community from 2018 and 2019 in regards to their team name. Agrios says among the western Arctic community, 78 per cent opposed a name change. In Nunavut, 55 per cent opposed a name change. In the eastern Arctic where results identified “little connection to the team,” 31 per cent oppose a name change. Agrios says of those who see the name as positive, the “dominant theme” is pride.

Sounds like most of the affected peoples don't care as much as you think they do.

Edited by TBURGESS

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Maybe you should read things that you don't agree with so you wouldn't continually miss the points.

That's rich. It's plain as day who's been missing the points here. 

Calling an indigenous person in Canada or anywhere else on the American continents an Indian originated from a perspective of ignorance some centuries ago. That mistake carries on to this day. You choose to disregard, dismiss, and downplay all that by ignoring historical facts and instead make irrational assumptions, throw around useless buzzwords, and play some sort of unhinged devil's advocate - out of boredom (as you said earlier). All while claiming to want to try and make others think for themselves.

There's no need to entertain such absurdity.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not the angry office dude. I don't think we need to get the 'controversy' out of the news. I just thought the cartoon was funny

The cartoon is funny because the rage comes from the suggestion of changing the name but the two dumb suggestions are seen as acceptable and normal responses. Therefore you are angry office guy because you have encapsulated the whole attitude, perhaps minus the white hot rage, but the rage isn't the real point of the cartoon. 

59 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That's rich. It's plain as day who's been missing the points here. 

Calling an indigenous person in Canada or anywhere else on the American continents an Indian originated from a perspective of ignorance some centuries ago. That mistake carries on to this day. You choose to disregard, dismiss, and downplay all that by ignoring historical facts and instead make irrational assumptions, throw around useless buzzwords, and play some sort of unhinged devil's advocate - out of boredom (as you said earlier). All while claiming to want to try and make others think for themselves.

There's no need to entertain such absurdity.

According to the poll (I'm guessing your the 'lets make a bad poll' guy in the cartoon), you're more upset about it than the very people who are actually affected.

Maybe it's just not that big a deal to them.

Maybe they are fully functioning adults who don't need to be 'protected' from 'bad words' like children.

Maybe they understand that 'symbolic gestures' like changing the 'E' word or the 'I' word don't really mean anything. A symbolic gesture + $5 gets you a coffee at $tarbucks.

Maybe they just polled the ignorant folks who don't agree with social keyboard warriors like yourself.

I'm not 'ignoring historical facts'. The facts are that Indian is an inaccurate term that become the all encompassing English word for all the different tribes in North America centuries ago. It's connotation in Canada has changed in the last 30 years or so, but we haven't even changed the name of the Indian act yet. Most of history is on the side of using the words Indian and Eskimo. Indian and Eskimo are still used widely around the world.

You know you're on shaky ground when you attack the person instead of the idea and you went there days ago.

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The cartoon is funny because the rage comes from the suggestion of changing the name but the two dumb suggestions are seen as acceptable and normal responses. Therefore you are angry office guy because you have encapsulated the whole attitude, perhaps minus the white hot rage, but the rage isn't the real point of the cartoon. 

The cartoon is an example of cancel culture. Folks who disagree must be enraged. Any poll would obviously be bad because is wouldn't match the expected outcome. The second idea would obviously be wrong too. The 'why not just' guy gets thrown out the window because he has the answer that the cancel culture wants in the first place.

I hate cancel culture as a term. You know what the single biggest flaw in your argument is? It's that you think a name change is meaningless. That's just wrong. It is not meaningless. Yes it won't wrong any past rights or really change the way people are treated... but it is a gesture that says "yes I understand that this is a phrase that is hurtful to some people and therefore I will change it so they don't get offended" 

It's about tolerance and not a "**** you suck it up" attitude.

On 2020-07-10 at 2:16 PM, Bigblue204 said:

Get off the fox news bro. Shits bad for you.

You are right about some of the BLM leaders being trained Marxists though. Odd thing about the BLM  movement...its not a machine with one leader. There are many branches with many beliefs. It's not a simple "Their bad!" like some media like to make it out to be. It's also not "lets do exactly what they say" like other media outlets claim. Shits complicated.

What was incorrect or untrue in what I stated?

If you don't believe that Marxists want to remake society in their own image then you've never read about their game plan.  It's no secret, they don't hide.  Attack the family, attack all religion, attack anything 'normal', divide people and conquer.  It's only been done numerous countries over the past 120 years already, all resulting in untold millions of deaths.

The sad part is that there is some real change we need in regards to social harmony, but the organization Black Lives Matter won't bring it, changing a sports name won't bring it, burning down innocent people's livelihood and murdering each other in the streets won't bring it either.

Or was it what I wrote about the origin of the eskimo, which is also all true and out there for you to read.

I'm not trying to fight you, but people need to know what we're up against as a culture.

P.S. I don't watch Fox News :)

Edited by basslicker

6 minutes ago, basslicker said:

If you don't believe that Marxists want to remake society in their own image then you've never read about their game plan.  It's no secret, they don't hide.  Attack the family, attack all religion, attack anything 'normal', divide people and conquer. 

If you don't believe that "Capitalists" want to remake society in their own image then you've never read about their game plan. It's no secret, they don't hide. Attack the homosexuals, attack all non evangelic Christian religion, attack anything they don't consider 'normal, divide people and conquer.

How about we stop trying to label everyone and paint them all as bad? Why don't we look at the big picture and recognize what is good for society as a whole? Marxism isn't all bad, yeah people have done shitty things in the name ofjit, but people have done horrible things for capitalism too and it's not all good. 

People need to be less beholden to their beliefs and more open minded and pragmatic. 

Edited by 17to85

How’s this for a rumour slice?

“Boston pizza is restructuring their sports sponsorship across Canada because of covid . In Edmonton it’s not because of the football club using the Eskimos name”

Boston Pizza said "as part of a larger shift in our overall marketing strategy, Boston Pizza recently ended its sponsorship of Edmonton's CFL team." It tweeted the statement as a response to someone asking about whether it plans to follow the lead of Belair Direct.

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

48h9gv.jpg

Explaining a joke is bad enough but changing it after the meaning of your first joke was explained to you... that’s almost rock bottom

i say almost rock bottom because I know this thread will carry on for another day or two ha

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

How about we stop trying to label everyone and paint them all as bad? Why don't we look at the big picture and recognize what is good for society as a whole? Marxism isn't all bad, yeah people have done shitty things in the name ofjit, but people have done horrible things for capitalism too and it's not all good.

Defending Marxism with utilitarianism is quite an interesting stance... personally, I despise utilitarianism, people can use it to justify even the most heinous of acts for the greater good. Also, fun fact, Karl Marx is well-known to have lost quite a bit of money in the stock market as a speculator, probably one of the reasons he hated capitalism so much lol.

God why did I have to take the philosophy course in university.

5 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Defending Marxism with utilitarianism is quite an interesting stance... personally, I despise utilitarianism, people can use it to justify even the most heinous of acts for the greater good. Also, fun fact, Karl Marx is well-known to have lost quite a bit of money in the stock market as a speculator, probably one of the reasons he hated capitalism so much lol.

God why did I have to take the philosophy course in university.

Hey I am just saying it's rarely a systemic issue and more of a people in charge issue. People are naturally greedy fucks and will use any kind of framework to further their greedy, power hungry ways.

Which is where the whole point of being praggmatic and trying to do what's best for everyone comes in.