Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

came across this just now on the twitter machine

How is this different than the Social Insurance Number system still in use today? To clarify, I just meant that the government still uses numerical means of identifying its' citizens. I am not condoning, or supporting the residential school systems or its' historical atrocities.

Edited by Eternal optimist
Misinterpretation of facts.

In all this confusion of posts,   has any groups officially protested the name of "Eskimos" or was it only a sponsor wanting to pull out?

My personal thoughts... most people do not associate the word Eskimo with something derogatory.  This isn't something black and white such as Redskins. I agree with Tootoo and if the group of Inuits are not wanting it then change it.    I can't stand when white people try to speak for other groups and assume that they know better. 

If it comes back that they would like the team to change the name,  then it's not like the Edmonton Eskimos brand is some red hot brand that the merch sales hold the team up and generate so much revenue.   It might give them a new opportunity to rebrand to something more attractive which could give them a nice boost of sales if done right. 

I still say if all else fails.... Edmonton RoughRiders....

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

How is this different than the Social Insurance Number system still in use today? To clarify, I just meant that the government still uses numerical means of identifying its' citizens. I am not condoning, or supporting the residential school systems or its' historical atrocities.

Great point. We all have social insurance numbers assigned to us from birth. 

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

In all this confusion of posts,   has any groups officially protested the name of "Eskimos" or was it only a sponsor wanting to pull out?

My personal thoughts... most people do not associate the word Eskimo with something derogatory.  This isn't something black and white such as Redskins. I agree with Tootoo and if the group of Inuits are not wanting it then change it.    I can't stand when white people try to speak for other groups and assume that they know better. 

If it comes back that they would like the team to change the name,  then it's not like the Edmonton Eskimos brand is some red hot brand that the merch sales hold the team up and generate so much revenue.   It might give them a new opportunity to rebrand to something more attractive which could give them a nice boost of sales if done right. 

An MP has been campaigning for the name change

14 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

That's like saying how were the tattoo Jewish people got during the holocaust any different then a SIN...these kids were taken from their home, given numbers that they were identified with..their names were no longer used. They were now 3-1402.

Edited by Bigblue204

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Great point. We all have social insurance numbers assigned to us from birth. 

it's a horrible comparison. This was not something assigned to EVERYONE. It was only one race of people...who were then called something other then what they wanted to be called. And if either of you bothered to actually read what the twitter posts after say. Many kids were no longer called by name...but the number assigned to them...after they were kidnapped and forced to give up their cultural identity. If you don't see a problem with that, we can't be friends.

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I honestly can't remember what started the process but it didn't just start. I posted an article from 2018 that went over Edmonton consulting people about the name change. People do want it to change, other people don't.

30 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's like saying how were the tattoo Jewish people got during the holocaust any different then a SIN...these kids were taken from their home, given numbers that they were identified with..their names were no longer used. They were now 3-1402.

I was just pointing out the dichotomy between numerical assignment, and how it can be (in some instances) good (that is, a SIN # providing social support etc.) and in other cases bad (in the case of residential school numbering). I was not attempting to discount or justify the Residential School system.

38 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

it's a horrible comparison. This was not something assigned to EVERYONE. It was only one race of people...who were then called something other then what they wanted to be called. And if either of you bothered to actually read what the twitter posts after say. Many kids were no longer called by name...but the number assigned to them...after they were kidnapped and forced to give up their cultural identity. If you don't see a problem with that, we can't be friends.

do status cards have numbers on em?

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

do status cards have numbers on em?

I honestly don't know. Those aren't required/forced on people (Well there could be an argument that they are I actually) and there's certainly a case that they should not be a thing either. There is a DRASTIC difference in the two scenarios though.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly don't know. Those aren't required/forced on people (Well there could be an argument that they are I actually) and there's certainly a case that they should not be a thing either. There is a DRASTIC difference in the two scenarios though.

Yep, one grants rights, the other takes them away.

for me... the only opinion that matters is that of the Inuit population... I don't give a **** about a bunch of white people shouting about something being offensive or not... the only opinion that matters is the Inuit population... if they want it changed, it should be changed...

On 2020-07-08 at 9:26 AM, Noeller said:

Calling for a blatantly racist name to be changed is not "being offended". It's "doing the right thing...which should have been done 50 years ago"

Virtue signal much?

EE have done their due diligence and did not find a broad calling for a name change from the Inuit people.  This drive is nothing more than false 'white knights' being offended on behalf of people they consider their pets.  It's disgusting.  

Born and bred Western canadian and I've never heard someone used the term Eskimo in a derogatory fashion.    The original term, Esquimaux refers to either 'eaters of raw meat' which is true! ever been up north? OR referencing snowshoes......you guessed it! Also true!  

Doesn't matter really, the Marxists behind all this made-up offense just want to burn it down, they don't care about you or the Inuit people or any person of any colour in the U.S. or elsewhere for that matter.  Call me a nut job, go ahead,won't bother me. (see? words are just words)  But they're not even hiding anymore, the founders of BLM are self-avowed Marxists and have convicted murderers/terrorists working with them.  It's all the same big push.  Open your eyes to the division they are sowing. 

Merit, soul and character matters, not skin colour or class.

5 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Virtue signal much?

EE have done their due diligence and did not find a broad calling for a name change from the Inuit people.  This drive is nothing more than false 'white knights' being offended on behalf of people they consider their pets.  It's disgusting.  

Born and bred Western canadian and I've never heard someone used the term Eskimo in a derogatory fashion.    The original term, Esquimaux refers to either 'eaters of raw meat' which is true! ever been up north? OR referencing snowshoes......you guessed it! Also true!  

Doesn't matter really, the Marxists behind all this made-up offense just want to burn it down, they don't care about you or the Inuit people or any person of any colour in the U.S. or elsewhere for that matter.  Call me a nut job, go ahead,won't bother me. (see? words are just words)  But they're not even hiding anymore, the founders of BLM are self-avowed Marxists and have convicted murderers/terrorists working with them.  It's all the same big push.  Open your eyes to the division they are sowing. 

It was also rumored that they were very selective in who they contacted. 

45 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Virtue signal much?

Get off the fox news bro. Shits bad for you.

You are right about some of the BLM leaders being trained Marxists though. Odd thing about the BLM  movement...its not a machine with one leader. There are many branches with many beliefs. It's not a simple "Their bad!" like some media like to make it out to be. It's also not "lets do exactly what they say" like other media outlets claim. Shits complicated.

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

What the govt did was wrong. I just said we are all assigned numbers. THAT IS IT.  And this discusssion isn't about these schools or kidnappings. It's about renaming the Eskimos. So, let's just discuss the topic at hand. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

35 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If 50% or more Canadians want them to change their name, then they should certainly look into it. If not, then the majority should rule and we can all forget it for another couple of years.

Above 50% of the Canadian population required to look into it is a ridiculously high standard. For perspective, the highest % for popular vote for a party in a federal election was 56.93% (1917) ... and that was back when things were much more a two-horse race.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

If 50% or more Canadians want them to change their name, then they should certainly look into it. If not, then the majority should rule and we can all forget it for another couple of years.

That's not even how we elect our leaders. Do you think Calgary should ask 50% of canadians where their new football stadium is built? Or what the design should look like? I'm guessing you want 50% of america to vote on the new NHL team name in Seattle? 

Edited by Bigblue204