Renaming Sports Teams

Jpan85

Someone online was mentioning how they've been using the nickname of Empire a lot in the past several years so it would be an easy switch to that. Keep the EE thing and not have a ridiculously racist nickname. 

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Someone online was mentioning how they've been using the nickname of Empire a lot in the past several years so it would be an easy switch to that. Keep the EE thing and not have a ridiculously racist nickname. 

Empire means oppression. People conquered & oppressed by another. Offensive. Both England & France conquered vast tracts of land in Canada, South America & Asia. It is a sign of white oppression. Spain & Portugal in South America. Europe was a continent of racists that conquered vast continents with their Empires. White entitlement. White oppression & White settlers. 

Blue Bombers. Offensive. Named after an aircraft that reigned down terror, death & destruction from the skies onto civilian & military targets below. Snowflakes would demand Winnipeg change it's name. They would say that anything associated with war is offensive. That any team that is named after a war time bomb dropping flying machine should be banned. 

Roughriders... Offensive. Teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders. He was key in American aggression, expansion & oppression  in Panama, Cuba & the Phillipines in the 19thy century. On top of one of his famous sayings. "Walk softly & carry a big stick". He also said that he didn't think that every good Indian was a dead Indian but nine out of 10 were. And that Phillipinos were nothing but Chinese half breeds. How long until the snowflakes demand that Saskatchewan change their name?

Stampeders & Cowboys. Offensive. They are racist as they went to war with the First Nations in the US & are a symbol of White Supremacy. Cowboys also treat animals like horses & cattle cruelly. (See Calgary Stampede). How long until Snowflakes demand Calgary & Dallas change their names?

So many words. So many words offensive. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Empire means oppression. People conquered & oppressed by another. Offensive. Both England & France conquered vast tracts of land in Canada, South America & Asia. It is a sign of white oppression. Spain & Portugal in South America. Europe was a continent of racists that conquered vast continents with their Empires. White entitlement. White oppression & White settlers. 

Blue Bombers. Offensive. Named after an aircraft that reigned down terror, death & destruction from the skies onto civilian & military targets below. Snowflakes would demand Winnipeg change it's name. They would say that anything associated with war is offensive. That any team that is named after a war time bomb dropping flying machine should be banned. 

Roughriders... Offensive. Teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders. He was key in American aggression, expansion & oppression  in Panama, Cuba & the Phillipines in the 19thy century. On top of one of his famous sayings. "Walk softly & carry a big stick". He also said that he didn't think that every good Indian was a dead Indian but nine out of 10 were. And that Phillipinos were nothing but Chinese half breeds. How long until the snowflakes demand that Saskatchewan change their name?

Stampeders & Cowboys. Offensive. They are racist as they went to war with the First Nations in the US & are a symbol of White Supremacy. Cowboys also treat animals like horses & cattle cruelly. (See Calgary Stampede). How long until Snowflakes demand Calgary & Dallas change their names?

So many words. So many words offensive. 

10/10 for hyperbole.

Here's what empire means: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/empire

While I agree they are free to say what they want and call themselves what they want, they are not free of consequences. "Major sponsors" are prepared to pull their $ from the Esks. Sticking to your guns may result in a hole in your foot...

For the record my understanding is the Inuit et al are not as offended by the team name and actually often embrace the Esks as 'their team'. They just want more engagement and positive representation.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

While I agree they are free to say what they want and call themselves what they want, they are not free of consequences. "Major sponsors" are prepared to pull their $ from the Esks. Sticking to your guns may result in a hole in your foot...

For the record my understanding is the Inuit et al are not as offended by the team name and actually often embrace the Esks as 'their team'. They just want more engagement and positive representation.

Belair can go pound sand. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Calling for a blatantly racist name to be changed is not "being offended". It's "doing the right thing...which should have been done 50 years ago"

I'm offended... OK. I'm offended, you have to change... Nope, just nope.

It's the same as My religion says I can't do this... OK.. My religion says you can't do this. Nope, just nope.

What it is is blatant censorship that does nothing to change peoples opinions or the way they think. It's just a waste of time, effort, and money to placate some offended folks.

There is a difference between someone being offended and hate.  The Edmonton team nickname is a derogatory term put on a racial group by another racial group to make fun of them.  Is everyone here good with team nicknames like spiks, wet-backs, spear-chuckers,etc?  The argument seems to be that this is different because our society has used this particular term to identify that racial group for a century due to sheer ignorance.  When people become aware of the derogatory nature of the term and still continue to use it for something as meaningless as a team's nickname, then it becomes hateful.

You call a buddy "fats" because others do it.  He tells you it bothers him.  You continue to do so.  Are you still his buddy or his bully? 

2 minutes ago, MC said:

There is a difference between someone being offended and hate.  The Edmonton team nickname is a derogatory term put on a racial group by another racial group to make fun of them.  Is everyone here good with team nicknames like spiks, wet-backs, spear-chuckers,etc?  The argument seems to be that this is different because our society has used this particular term to identify that racial group for a century due to sheer ignorance.  When people become aware of the derogatory nature of the term and still continue to use it for something as meaningless as a team's nickname, then it becomes hateful.

You call a buddy "fats" because others do it.  He tells you it bothers him.  You continue to do so.  Are you still his buddy or his bully? 

If Edmonton had changed their name in the 80's, when a group of people decided that Eskimos was now a racist term, then you'd have point, but they've been the Eskimos since 1949. Your putting a 2020 filter on a name that was perfectly fine when it was given to the team.

I'm all for it if Edmonton wants to change the name to match today's sensibilities, but I'm against them being forced into it.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If Edmonton had changed their name in the 80's, when a group of people decided that Eskimos was now a racist term, then you'd have point, but they've been the Eskimos since 1949. Your putting a 2020 filter on a name that was perfectly fine when it was given to the team.

I'm all for it if Edmonton wants to change the name to match today's sensibilities, but I'm against them being forced into it.

Unfortunately, in Alberta, this is what it takes to do what's right....

Is it really a racist name though? Not trying to be a knob but rather a legit question..Would it be wrong to call them the Edmonton Inuit as well?...It's a proper name for a group of people...Are the Irish soon to follow and ask Notre Dame to drop the fighting Irish moniker?..how bout any offended BoilerMakers...And lets stop offending the Ragin Cajuns...I hear they don't like that either...like where does it stop??...people are wayyyy too ultra sensitive now and just looking for a cause..or a fight

I can see the point with the Redskins name, as that was an offensive term...But Braves?.Chiefs?...cmon...thats like a rank in an Army in a sense...heck I played on a travelling Baseball team back in the day..An Indigenous based team for that matter and they used the team name Braves for their ball team, and Chiefs for their hockey team and it wasn't an issue...still isn't

You could go on and on and on with amateur..college and pro teams who have a nickname or support a phrase or a cheer that the snowflakes in this world will deem offensive...let it go man

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

being part Italian....If I was on a team called the Pawtuket Whine Swilling Wops it wouldn't bother me a bit...Would wear it as a badge of honour hahahaha

see, now there's the thing: If the team was all Inuit players, then they get to call it that. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

This is an incredibly stupid take. the "group of people" are Inuits, the people the name references and they (maybe not all, but at least a portion) decided it was an insulting/degrading name. How is that not enough? But because a name has been used for a long time, there's no need to change it? That's literally not how anything works...in any industry...ever. Change happens. both willingly and by force. 

some quick digging shows that A) Eskimos were also know as the Esquimaux (which was the original spelling of Eskimo) and also the Elks. It was also "given to them" as a literal insult. "Likewise Calgary's responded with insults about Edmonton's northern latitude and frigid weather, calling the city's residents "Esquimaux" (an archaic spelling of "Eskimos", referring to the indigenous people of the Canadian Arctic, properly called Inuit)."

So "perfectly fine" by whose standard?

I've been on this planet just under 40 years and not once in my life have I found the words Chiefs, Indians, Eskimoes, Redskins etc racist. Not one bit. To me it's simply a word or a name of a team. I dont see what has changed.

If you are calling somone that name to their face and using it as a racial slur, to me that's different.  

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I have no problem with people in 1949 calling the team that name.  Not sure why did, but I have no problem with people making ignorant decisions.  Once they are no longer ignorant and refuse to fix it, it becomes spiteful.  The very fact that they are only doing the right thing because they are going to be forced to do it says a lot about them though.  

Times change.  I can be a get-off-my-lawn person because I don't like change.  But I need to change if what I am doing could be insulting to others.

I don't think that anyone is insulted because our team is named after an African American boxer.  If it is, then it would be a reasonable discussion. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Is it really a racist name though? Not trying to be a knob but rather a legit question..Would it be wrong to call them the Edmonton Inuit as well?...It's a proper name for a group of people...Are the Irish soon to follow and ask Notre Dame to drop the fighting Irish moniker?..how bout any offended BoilerMakers...And lets stop offending the Ragin Cajuns...I hear they don't like that either...like where does it stop??...people are wayyyy too ultra sensitive now and just looking for a cause..or a fight

I can see the point with the Redskins name, as that was an offensive term...But Braves?.Chiefs?...cmon...thats like a rank in an Army in a sense...heck I played on a travelling Baseball team back in the day..An Indigenous based team for that matter and they used the team name Braves for their ball team, and Chiefs for their hockey team and it wasn't an issue...still isn't

You could go on and on and on with amateur..college and pro teams who have a nickname or support a phrase or a cheer that the snowflakes in this world will deem offensive...let it go man

That is a legit question. The only ones who can answer are the people it's referencing. A lot of them see to think it is. The Edmonton Inuit wouldn't be "wrong" per say, but it would be a dumb team name as far as I'm concerned. So would the Winnipeg Polish. Or the Toronto Italians. IF Irish people start saying they feel like the "fighting Irish" name is racist, then the conversation should take place. It's not up to other people to decide what is and what isn't insulting to someone else. Any younger sibling will know, that just because your older brother said his punches didn't hurt you, didn't mean he was right.

The Braves and The Chiefs could potentially get away with keeping the names, but everything else, logo/chants/etc etc all very much show heavy indigenous influences. We'd be willingly ignorant to say they aren't referencing those things with the names. As for the people not finding their rec teams insulting..again if they are from that ancestry and are fine with calling themselves that, cool...When's the last time an indigenous person played for any of the teams mentioned? Never mind a vast majority of the team being composed of them?

And yes we should go on and on to reactify the mistakes of the past. That is literally the only thing to do. Snowflake is often thrown around by people who are also complaining (I'm not saying you are booch) about other people complaining. So who is the real snowflake here? People who are saying a racist name/caricature is being used, or those who are unwilling to change a name of a sports team? Seems like priorities might be a bit backwards.

To add to what Noeller was saying...why would anyone WANT their teams name to be about a certain group of people? Especially when said group has told them it's insulting?