Favourite and least favourite Bomber

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not nearly enough love for Doug Brown in this thread. Greatest DT in league history, American or Canadian, and moved to town full time to give back in a number of ways. He's everything you could ask for of a professional athlete in your community. 

Speaks more to the number of all time greats we've had here than anything imo. I mean it's not like we're Saskatchewan where the choices are really only Reed or Lancaster.

23 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Speaks more to the number of all time greats we've had here than anything imo. I mean it's not like we're Saskatchewan where the choices are really only Reed or Lancaster.

In fairness, have to add Ed McQuarters and Roger Aldag....

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Favourites: Milt Stegall; Andrew Harris

Classy professionals who gave their all to this organization.  

The flip side: any of the awful DBs we employed - for seemingly endless stretches of time.  Ditto to the OLs that wrecked Khari Jones and Drew Willy. 

Dave Donaldson?!?! Lol, Double D! Man I hated that guy. I remember a play where he was beat like a rented mule(I know, be more specific), and the receiver was like 10 yards clear of him. The QB underthrew the ball and it got caught up in the wind so it ends up hitting Donaldson in the back when the receiver had to come back for the ball. Donaldson starts jumping around, and giving the incomplete pass signal with his arms like he just made some great play lol. He was beyond terrible.

From the era I grew up in the first two players that come to mind are Doug Brown and Milt Stegall... those two are probably my all time favourite Bombers... that's based on their play on the field and having met both off the field... both great players and great people....

Obviously this championship team... having the benefit of recency bias.... has produced some fan favourite players too... Harris, Bighill, Hardrick, Streveler...

I really can't think of a Bomber player that I really "hated"... or even strongly disliked... Anthony Marlborough and Jovon Johnson are two players that I can remember really falling off at the end of their time with the Bombers... I would classify that more as frustrated with their play rather than actually disliking the player...

On 2020-07-04 at 3:59 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Favorite: Kenny Ploen - As a kid growing up without seeing the Bombers win a Grey Cup and looking back and seeing this guy had won four just made him mythical to me. Had a chance to meet him and he's a cool guy too. Humble, and just a great dude.

Favourite, Ken Ploen. For all the reasons mentioned above. 

Least, Kerwin Bell. What kind of arrogant idiot chucks a ball to the ground and gets  It back in the nuts eh?

Kerwin Bell is a good choice for the dislike pile. I just remember we'd be down by 20-25 points going into the 4th and he'd have passed for about 100-125 yards and then he'd throw up big numbers in garbage time and you'd look and think 300+ yards, not a bad game when the truth was he was awful. To borrow from Comic Book Guy, Worst 5,000 passing yard season ever.

Favourite Bombers hmm... Greg Battle, Tyrone Jones, James "Wild" West, take your pick. Battle's performance in the 1990 GC was legendary. Juran Bolden was a lot of fun to watch as well. Although the SWAGGERVILLE gimmick was a bit lame I also really loved watching peak Jonathan Hefney & Jovon Johnson. Super sad about Hef hopefully he can turn his life around. On the other side of the ball I think we all have Andrew Harris at #1 or close to. I'm a bit too young to say Joe Poplawski but F it I'll mention him anyways since I've listened to my dad gush about Joe Pop enough that I have second hand appreciation for him.

Stan Mikawos & Chris Walby I'll pick for my trenches guys.

Least favourite is tough, I'll just agree with @TrueBlue4ever and say that Joe Mack sucks.

Edited by Pickle Rick

Yeah Bell was a tool. Arrogant, not all that good, and had a stupid mustache. Pretty easy to dislike. For me other dislikes would be Dave Donaldson(crappy play), Sam Hurl(crappy play), and Henoc Muamba(jerking the team around and being a hired gun whos all about the money).

Joe Mack is in a league of his own when it comes to dislikes

Favorites would be Milt, Walby, Roberts, Juran Bolden, Terrence Edwards, and Khari.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

On 2020-07-06 at 11:59 AM, rebusrankin said:

Not a huge Westwood fan to be honest.

I’m not either, the 01 GC will always live on in infamy and I probably won’t ever get over it. However, he picked fights with Rider fans and coined the Banjo Bowl nickname. That alone removes him from being my least favourite. I’ll have to go with EJ Kuale there. He was awful, committed stupid penalties, tried to justify it and MOS kept him in the lineup. God I didn’t think MOS would make it back then. 

As far as a favourite is concerned, the obvious ones are Khari, Milt, and Doug Brown. However, my favourites were always Charles Roberts and Mike Sellers. Those were two guys I could never get tired of watching. I wish Roberts had the work ethic and mindset of Milt, he could’ve gone down as the GOAT RB in the CFL if he did. 

Edited by Blueandgold

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I’m not either, the 01 GC will always live on in infamy and I probably won’t ever get over it. However, he picked fights with Rider fans and coined the Banjo Bowl nickname. That alone removes him from being my least favourite. I’ll have to go with EJ Kuale there. He was awful, committed stupid penalties, tried to justify it and MOS kept him in the lineup. God I didn’t think MOS would make it back then. 

As far as a favourite is concerned, the obvious ones are Khari, Milt, and Doug Brown. However, my favourites were always Charles Roberts and Mike Sellers. Those were two guys I could never get tired of watching. I wish Roberts had the work ethic and mindset of Milt, he could’ve gone down as the GOAT RB in the CFL if he did. 

I put the 2001 loss square at the feet of Dave Ritchie. One hundred per cent his fault. He let his players carry on & mouth off all week & it cost them on GC  Sunday. Never should have lost to the Stamps but they trash talked, preened & bad mouthed their way out of winning that game. Meanwhile disrespecting a team with a lot of proud veterans playing for it. I still get angry thinking about it. 

10 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Forgot all about Big Mike! He was a beauty. Definitely one of my all time favorites!

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I put the 2001 loss square at the feet of Dave Ritchie. One hundred per cent his fault. He let his players carry on & mouth off all week & it cost them on GC  Sunday. Never should have lost to the Stamps but they trash talked, preened & bad mouthed their way out of winning that game. Meanwhile disrespecting a team with a lot of proud veterans playing for it. I still get angry thinking about it. 

Coach gets his share for sure but there were still a ton of veteran players on that team who should've known and acted better leading up to that game. Too many fat heads and a collectively complacent attitude cost them a chance at a championship.

Win as a team, lose as a team.

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Coach gets his share for sure but there were still a ton of veteran players on that team who should've known and acted better leading up to that game. Too many fat heads and a collectively complacent attitude cost them a chance at a championship.

Win as a team, lose as a team.

From what I remember Juran Bolden was just an asshat all week. 

On 2020-07-05 at 5:49 PM, do or die said:

Troy Westwood

Yeah, the 2001 Grey Cup stings sure, but my absolute least favorite player, ever? People are forgetting some of the good things he did:

1. He referred to Regina's faithful as "a bunch of banjo-pickin' inbreds", and followed it up by 'apologizing' with "... the vast majority of people in Saskatchewan have no idea how to play the Banjo", you could argue he basically invented the Banjo Bowl, which is awesome. Also this is still funny to me today.
2. He's #6 on all-time playoff scorers as of the 2017 record book (this is the most recent available on CFL's site).
3. He played his entire CFL career with Winnipeg, and stayed here, he was also born in Manitoba (Dauphin).

Would you honestly say you hate him more than the litany of terrible kickers our team fielded after him? Alexis Serna, Justin Palardy? DeAngelis? Between his last full year (2007) and now, the Bombers realistically had two stints of good kicking: (1) Hajrullahu's phenomenal rookie year and (2) The current Medlock era.

Is he gonna have a statue outside IGF anytime soon? Nope...but worst ever? Don't know about that...