Least favourite non-Bomber

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Do you know how many teams in the last few years who would have jumped at the opportunity to sign someone like Damon Allen...

How many teams the last few years jumped at the chance to sign someone like Kevin Glenn? 

I mean just cause we're in a soft spot for qbs in the league right now doesn't re-write history. 

I don't buy the Allen was just chasing money nonsense either. BC couldn't wait to bring in Dickenson because Allen left them wanting more despite winning a Grey Cup for them in 2000. 

No some people are just imaging this mystical figure because memories are fading and all that remains are numbers on a stat sheet, and for Damon Allen they're impressive totals, but they don't tell the whole story.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

How many teams the last few years jumped at the chance to sign someone like Kevin Glenn? 

I mean just cause we're in a soft spot for qbs in the league right now doesn't re-write history. 

I don't buy the Allen was just chasing money nonsense either. BC couldn't wait to bring in Dickenson because Allen left them wanting more despite winning a Grey Cup for them in 2000. 

No some people are just imaging this mystical figure because memories are fading and all that remains are numbers on a stat sheet, and for Damon Allen they're impressive totals, but they don't tell the whole story.

See the source image

When all that's left to do is just ignore everything by saying it's all fake news.  😉

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

At my age I can remember my U of M student number from 40 freaking years ago. Do you can think I can remember what I need at the grocery store as soon as I walk in???

Well, that’s so true, and well, ah never mind. I forgot what I was going to say..

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

At my age I can remember my U of M student number from 40 freaking years ago. Do you can think I can remember what I need at the grocery store as soon as I walk in???

From some of the stories you tell from the 70s and 80s your memory is impressive...

but where your "chasing the money" argument falls short is that if he was truly an elite, irreplaceable QB... his current team would pony up the money to keep him... Nobody said Damon Allen was a bad QB or a bum... most have simply argued he was a very good QB who gained impressive stats by playing forever but was almost always lesser than other QBs in the league when he played... simple as that...

19 hours ago, bearpants said:

From some of the stories you tell from the 70s and 80s your memory is impressive...

but where your "chasing the money" argument falls short is that if he was truly an elite, irreplaceable QB... his current team would pony up the money to keep him... Nobody said Damon Allen was a bad QB or a bum... most have simply argued he was a very good QB who gained impressive stats by playing forever but was almost always lesser than other QBs in the league when he played... simple as that...

Thanks for saying that as I really do appreciate it. I like to talk about the Old Days for sure.

In the era that Damon Allen played, we had starting qbs who moved around a lot. Maybe even more than today. Although the off season between 2018 & 19 was a busy one for free agent CFL qbs. The 2013-14 off season was a busy one as well with the RedBlacks coming into the league as an expansion team drafting Kevin Glenn from the Stamps then signing Henry Burris as a free agent, Zach Collaros leaves Toronto to sign with Hamilton & Drew Willy signing with the Bombers.

Let's look at QB movement in the CFL back some 25-30 years ago when Damon Allen was in his prime.

In the early to late 90's, Danny McManus went from Winnipeg to Edmonton to Hamilton.

Matt Dunigan went from Edmonton to BC to Winnipeg to Birmingham to Hamilton.

Tracy Ham went from Edmonton to Baltimore to Montreal.

Kent Austin went from Saskatchewan to BC to Toronto to Winnipeg.

Tom Burgess went from Ottawa to Saskatchewan to Winnipeg back to Ottawa & then finally back to Saskatchewan. 

Damon Allen went from  Edmonton to Ottawa to Hamilton back to Edmonton to Memphis to BC & finally to Toronto.

With the number of starting qbs constantly on the move, teams could almost pick their starting qbs from a pool of impressive players. To me, unrestricted free agency has had a huge effect on players staying put or moving around. Teams looked at it it like, "Okay, Damon Allen wants X amount of dollars... What does Matt Dunigan want? Or Tracy Ham??" In the 90's & 2000's players cashed in on great seasons so they almost always signed two year deals.

I still say that money was THE MOTIVATING FACTOR for qbs leaving their respective teams back then. Especially for the US CFL teams with Allen, Dunigan & Ham all signing in the States away from their Canadian teams in 1995. It meant signing for US dollars rather than Canadian which was a 30% raise with the exchange all on its own & not have to pay both Canadian & American income tax. Back in the 90's, the Canadian dollar had fallen to around 65-70 cents US.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Can you really say going from Baltimore to Montreal? 

Maybe not (if I can speak for him), but in the same breath he also shorted McManus' time in BC, and Dunigan's time in Toronto, as well as the greatest player of all time, Doug Flutie, going from BC to Calgary to Toronto, so his point about following the money stands. And no one can argue that Flutie wasn't the elite of the elite, so even his greatness did not result in his team ponying up the cash to keep him, so degrading Allen on that basis does not really stand as absolute proof as bearpants would suggest.

On 2020-07-02 at 3:55 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:
On 2020-07-02 at 3:55 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Montreal - Ed Philion for more dirty late hits than I can count. The blind side to Khari after an interception where he wasn't even a part of the play was the worst of all. The racist stuff with Westwood was a bad look too, if you accept Troy's version of events.

When I saw the title of the thread this was the image that immediately popped into my head. Philion is a huge jerk.

On 2020-07-22 at 7:26 AM, 17to85 said:

Can you really say going from Baltimore to Montreal? 

Yes, because different ownership.  Jim Speros sold the team to Robert Wettenhall after a year.  More than half the team changed when they had to play 17 Canadians instead of a team made up of all American players. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, because different ownership.  Jim Speros sold the team to Robert Wettenhall after a year.  More than half the team changed when they had to play 17 Canadians instead of a team made up of all American players. 

and qbs were still not bound by the ratio. It's a reach and you know it. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and qbs were still not bound by the ratio. It's a reach and you know it. 

What does that have to do with the rest of the team? No reach at all. Hey, come at me with something to argue about. Not something to ***** about. ;) Then we'll talk.  

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well obviously you're going to lose half a team when over half a team has to be changed to Canadians. 

Quarterbacks ain't part of that equation so going from one team to the same team isn't a change. 

But the rest of the team did. So it affects quarterbacking.  Coaches & management changed. It was like a new team. The city was certainly different. Montreal didn't give a **** & they played in the  vast empty Olympic Stadium. Later a dinky, run down, old Molson Stadium with a tree growing through a hole in the grandstand. I know what you're saying but Baltimore/Montreal was a different situation. Where Baltimore got 40,000 fans at Memorial Stadium, Montreal got 4,000.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 10 months later...

Chris Larsen hits the top of the charts with a bullet.

Ottawa Redblacks suspend Chris Larsen amid investigation into possibly hate-motivated beating

Investigators say 24-year-old man was beaten and left with 'significant injuries'

CBC News · Posted: Jun 09, 2021 3:49 PM ET | Last Updated: June 9

The Ottawa Redblacks say they have suspended defensive lineman Chris Larsen amid an investigation into an alleged beating at the ferry docks on Toronto Island over the weekend.

"Late last night, we were made aware of social media allegations of an assault by a group of individuals that included Chris Larsen and immediately commenced an investigation, which is ongoing. Today we were advised that an investigation by the Toronto Police is underway," Mark Goudie, CEO of the Redblacks' parent company, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, said in a statement.  

Larsen was drafted in 2019 but hasn't appeared in a game with the team.

Toronto police, including the force's hate crime unit, are investigating after a man was reportedly beaten at the ferry docks on Toronto Island near Hanlan's Point on Saturday night.

According to a police news release, a 24-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman were walking to the ferry docks when they "became involved in a disagreement with a group of people."

That's when, police say, a man from that second group of people made homophobic comments toward the victims.

A woman from the second group grabbed one of the pair, police say. Then, two men from the group punched and kicked the 24-year-old man, leaving him with "significant injuries."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hanlans-point-toronto-beating-1.6059091

On 2020-07-19 at 3:47 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know & I don't disagree. But getting back to Damon Allen how can anyone say he wasn't elite when he won 3 Grey Cups with 3 different teams & was the CFL's leading passer with over 72,000 yards for 11 years? Saying the only reason he got those stats is because he played a long time is totally inaccurate. He got those numbers because he was a damned good qb. He wouldn't have played that long for all of his head coaches if he didn't have talent.

Allen wasn't fiery. He didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like Matt Dunigan. He wasn't a screamer or a yeller. He was a quiet leader who let his play on the field do the talking. He had so much talent & smarts that the game was easy to him. To some fans it looked like he was disinterested at times but that was just his personality.  Like I said, I'd take Damon Allen over Anthony Calvillo as my stating qb ten times out of 10. 

I remember watching a game at Winnipeg Stadium. Damon Allen scrambles left to the sidelines and at the last second throws a perfect pass for a first down with his left hand! I can't remember being so impressed and pissed off at the same time! lol

10 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

I remember watching a game at Winnipeg Stadium. Damon Allen scrambles left to the sidelines and at the last second throws a perfect pass for a first down with his left hand! I can't remember being so impressed and pissed off at the same time! lol

The Great Ones find ways to break your heart if they play for the other team. I know the feeling. Most of us do.

Ed philion and his late hits on khari jones. I cant say enough bad things. His blind side crazy late cheap shots to khari directly led to his career falling off early. 

Guys that tore us up and I had a love hate relationship with, AC, ricky ray, and flutie for being a GC machine. 

Davis sanchez, john bowman, kenton keith, andre rison, robert baker, after they left blue n gold i grew to hate brian clark and arland bruce. 

On 2021-06-10 at 1:15 PM, bryan35 said:

I remember Andrew Harris doing the something similar in BC. I remember it as being in the 2011 grey cup.game, but I'm honestly not sure. Anyway, he took a pitch in the back field and was trying to get the corner, the defence shut it down. So instead of taking the loss and running out of bounds. He threw the ball out of bounds and it was ruled an incomplete pass. I had always wondered why no one ever attempted that.

But I do remember being both angry that the play wasn't for a loss as well as impressed with his quick thinking.