Least favourite non-Bomber

OK, so the opposite post got going after some initial blow back, but this one should be much easier. Which opposing player did you absolutely hate the most? Can be any reason, personal dislike or professional anger/jealousy. The good player who killed us too often, the dirty player, the disloyal selfish guy, the overall jerk. Have at it, and the most descriptive the vitriol, the better. This is catharsis, people, don’t hold back. 

You know, because I do a lot of CFL bios & put up a lot of pics on my facebook page, I'm friends with a lot of former players from every team. Some of whom I didn't like when they played.  Some of them chat with me quite a bit. So this is one discussion I think I'll sit out. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

All the cheap shot artists in the last 15 years ...  no respect for any of them.  

Don’t be shy. Name names. 

I remember a story Nick Benjamin told when he joined the Bombers. He was an offensive lineman with Ottawa who was consistently regarded as the dirtiest player in the league amongst his peers. He got traded to the Bombers and actually said he was afraid walking into the locker room to face Ty Jones and James West knowing all the cheap shots he had taken against them in the past, sensing that an offhand “Sorry about trying to take out your knees so many times” might fall flat. He approached them and before he could get a word out beyond “So I just wanted to clear the air...” both players walked up to him and pulled him aside into a corner, and West said “Look, what ever has happened in the past, you are now our teammate here, we expect you to be a Bomber, we have your back and we expect you to have ours. Let’s just leave all the rest of it at the door you just walked through”. No apology, no forgiveness, just an understanding of how it was going to be going forward. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know, because I do a lot of CFL bios & put up a lot of pics on my facebook page, I'm friends with a lot of former players from every team. Some of whom I didn't like when they played.  Some of them chat with me quite a bit. So this is one discussion I think I'll sit out. 

More than fair enough. Completely respect that. Thank you. This take and the Mervyn Fernandez comments should provide some nice perspective on the “hate” angle. 

32 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

More than fair enough. Completely respect that. Thank you. This take and the Mervyn Fernandez comments should provide some nice perspective on the “hate” angle. 

Yeah, it kinda changes one's perspective. They were the enemy when they played. Now, most of them are just trying to get by like the rest of us & living their lives like we do. They're just amazed that fans remember them. Especially the older these former players get. BTW, I don't object to this discussion. It's all in fun so go for it. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yea I’m with you on that. It would be interesting to read what former and active CFL players would say as stuff happens a lot that none of us can see in the stands.

On my bucket list, is the opportunity to sit with Doug Brown and drink whiskey and hear "off the record" stories. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

On my bucket list, is the opportunity to sit with Doug Brown and drink whiskey and hear "off the record" stories. 

Chris Walby would be fun to chat with on this as he seems like a guy who would be more than happy to share his experiences on this issue broken fingers and all.

BC - Don Matthews, such a sour man. I remember he got a shiner from taking a racquetball to the face one time, and the TSN commentators had to go out of their way to let people know that this was a pure accident, and no he did NOT get punched during a barroom disagreement like some had speculated. Kinda says something about the guy that this would be an expected assumption for many viewers, and required the media to stress that he did not get a whooping.

Edmonton - Jason Maas. The ears, the attitude, the whininess, the phony "future considerations" trade with Hamilton that gifted the Esks the 2005 Grey Cup.

Calgary - no one real despicable for me despite their run of success. I'm sure someone can remind me of someone to hate (Burris is tolerable for me)

Saskatchewan - Have to agree with Jordan Reaves, too bad because I have met and like his dad, the sons are both high on my dislike list though for different reasons.

Hamilton - Angelo Mosca, dirty player from yesteryear, then became a wrestling heel. When I see Joe Kapp punch an old man with a cane and say "wow, he totally deserved that, can't say I'm sorry he got dropped like that" I guess my dislike is still there. Simoni Lawrence is moving into contention.

Toronto - Don Matthews, yep, again. Guess I really didn't like the guy.

Ottawa - They were irrelevant for so long, hard to build up a dislike, but let's split between Horn Chen and the Glibermans for inept ownership, cheerleader dating, Mardi Gras flash the stands promotions, and shutting down 3 times.

Montreal - Ed Philion for more dirty late hits than I can count. The blind side to Khari after an interception where he wasn't even a part of the play was the worst of all. The racist stuff with Westwood was a bad look too, if you accept Troy's version of events.