Favourite Non Bomber

Jpan85

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Edmonton - Brian Kelly 

Saskatchewan - Ray Elgaard

Great list! Brian Kelly was one of those receivers that wasn't particularly fast or big, but always seemed open, and caught everything.

Ray Elgaard - At the risk of being accused of supporting Rider pride, I loved/hated him as a player. Any coach in the league would have taken him, but you hated him as an opponent. Type of player that you could tell opposing DB's hated playing against. Tough, dirty, faster than he seemed, caught everything. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks, appreciate that a lot  but the toothless mob & dumbasses here were insulted. 

I too enjoyed your photos and write ups. Kept looking for them. I don't get the opposition. Is this a football discussion page or not? You're either a football fan or not, and real fans can root for their own team and appreciate great players on all teams. 

On 2020-06-27 at 9:18 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Pinball Clemons. Every interview he did made you feel better about the world when he was done. 

100%. In the top tier of best players and people to ever be involved in the CFL. 

Thick nick was a riot to watch as well. Joe montford too. I had major respect for what kelvin anderson did too. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

100%. In the top tier of best players and people to ever be involved in the CFL. 

Thick nick was a riot to watch as well. Joe montford too. I had major respect for what kelvin anderson did too. 

Good nickname. Also liked Milt Stegall's handle for Lewis - "butts and guts" since he seemingly carried all 250 lbs of his weight around the middle. Looked like a wine barrel with arms and legs.

S.J. Green: watching him with Calvillo was astonishing, they were playing tecmo bowl out there while everyone else was trying to play Madden on nightmare mode

Ken Hobart: man was he fun to watch.  Take Buck Pierce, make him worse at passing and better at open-field running. That's Ken Hobart. He changed the game. Ticats started 0-4 without him and were Grey Cup finalists with him.

Quick Parker: this guy was pure beast. His battles against Walby are the stuff of Valhalla

Vernon Adams, I'll always root for a young QB coming in and making a mark on the league, hopefully he leaves a mark on the league

Mike O'Shea: I wore 59 because of this guy and I didn't even root for his damn team, just watched him make 20 tackles in a loss back when the Ticats were really stanky and the next day I picked my number.  I guess he's a bomber now but he never played for them so I think he belongs on this list.

Ray Bernard: another one of those Canadians who couldn't hack it as a starting middle linebacker, but this guy was a ******* cannonball on special teams for the Rough Riders in 1996. That thing where a cover guy blows up both a blocker and the returner with the same tackle?  Nowadays we'd call that a Thiadric but maybe it should be a Bernard because I saw that dude do it multiple times during the Roughie's depressing death season.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

I appreciated it too. As younger person mid 30's its good to have some perspective form people about guys from different era's. 

Thanks, comments like yours make me feel good. I'm not treated as an old guy from some bygone & forgotten era. I was lucky to see a lot of the legends actually play.  And I like to keep their memories alive as much as I can as they deserve that respect. Once again, thank you. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks, comments like yours make me feel good. I'm not treated as an old guy from some bygone & forgotten era. I was lucky to see a lot of the legends actually play.  And I like to keep their memories alive as much as I can as they deserve that respect. Once again, thank you. 

Gee, in hindsight I'm glad I didn't send that post I was thinking of where I said "Shouldn't you be shooing kids off your lawn right now?" in response to one of your anti-Ambrosie rants. That would have been awkward.

In all seriousness, we all give and take some (hopefully mostly good-natured) shots as part of this board, but no one should ever be silenced for their opinion if it doesn't violate board rules, or made to feel personally debased for offering an insight. I too enjoy hearing about more than just the last 20 years of Bomber teams.

32 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Gee, in hindsight I'm glad I didn't send that post I was thinking of where I said "Shouldn't you be shooing kids off your lawn right now?" in response to one of your anti-Ambrosie rants. That would have been awkward.

In all seriousness, we all give and take some (hopefully mostly good-natured) shots as part of this board, but no one should ever be silenced for their opinion if it doesn't violate board rules, or made to feel personally debased for offering an insight. I too enjoy hearing about more than just the last 20 years of Bomber teams.

I won't be saying much about Ambrosie anymore as people here know my thoughts. Unless he says & does something really dumb that is newsworthy. No point as it just becomes a broken record. Your second paragraph: Thanks!! 🙂

Edited by SpeedFlex27