Black Lives Matter

Rich

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This election may be the last chance Americans have to reclaim their democracy. Trump, the GOP and the alt-right will not leave power without bloodshed. It will probably come down to who the military and police support.

If Trump loses, he is no longer President on inauguration day. I have zero doubt that no law enforcement and especially the military, will obey an order from him after that day.  

One issue that has come up and why the military is trying to distance itself from this is that they swear an oath to uphold the constitution.  So when the Commander-in-Chief gives an order that is unconstitutional, it raises issues.

The scary time will between a Trump loss in November and Inauguration.  Does anyone thing Trump will cooperate with a transition?  Will he allow Biden and his team access to the White House and to work on smooth transitions?  Will Trump try to initiate wars, provide relief to US enemies?

My hope is, knowing most of the GOP actually hates him, if he's delivered a big loss, Congress wont allow him to do anything horrific.  I cant imagine the Joint Chiefs standing by if Trump tries to order military strikes out of spite.  And certainly Congress wouldnt.  It would be a big constitutional crises.  Congress always could impeach and remove him but man, they'd have to do it quickly.  Also, Pence and the cabinet could remove him too.  If Pence values a future, he might have to take charge if the unthinkable happens and a deranged Trump tries to destroy America in those two months.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If Trump loses, he is no longer President on inauguration day. I have zero doubt that no law enforcement and especially the military, will obey an order from him after that day.  

One issue that has come up and why the military is trying to distance itself from this is that they swear an oath to uphold the constitution.  So when the Commander-in-Chief gives an order that is unconstitutional, it raises issues.

The scary time will between a Trump loss in November and Inauguration.  Does anyone thing Trump will cooperate with a transition?  Will he allow Biden and his team access to the White House and to work on smooth transitions?  Will Trump try to initiate wars, provide relief to US enemies?

My hope is, knowing most of the GOP actually hates him, if he's delivered a big loss, Congress wont allow him to do anything horrific.  I cant imagine the Joint Chiefs standing by if Trump tries to order military strikes out of spite.  And certainly Congress wouldn't.  It would be a big constitutional crises.  Congress always could impeach and remove him but man, they'd have to do it quickly.  Also, Pence and the cabinet could remove him too.  If Pence values a future, he might have to take charge if the unthinkable happens and a deranged Trump tries to destroy America in those two months.

Trump has already defied the constitution and the law, and when the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff walked with him to the church in battle fatigues, he also did. Trump has shown that there are no lengths he is not willing to go to to keep power, and he is being enabled by the GOP, big business, the very rich, evangelists and the alt-right. If Trump uses the excuse that the election was rigged, and he is already preparing for that, he can assume emergency powers.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Trump has already defied the constitution and the law, and when the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff walked with him to the church in battle fatigues, he also did. Trump has shown that there are no lengths he is not willing to go to to keep power, and he is being enabled by the GOP, big business, the very rich, evangelists and the alt-right. If Trump uses the excuse that the election was rigged, and he is already preparing for that, he can assume emergency powers.

I guess he *could* but there is no mechanism for Trump to remain in power after Inauguration day.  So it would be a coup d'etat and then we're talking about something absolutely insane.  And I still feel enough Generals wouldn't stand for it.  Certainly a lot of Congress and most States would not stand for it.  Civil War?

Trump has already lost the reins of the carriage. And he won’t be getting them back.

He’s alienated far too many people and real Americans. 

He simply won’t be able to “rally” the troops and call for an overthrow when he loses. He won’t have the support of the people he needs in order to pull anything off.

He’ll have to console himself with cheating at golf.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Trump has already lost the reins of the carriage. And he won’t be getting them back.

He simply won’t be able to “rally” the troops and call for an overthrow when he loses. He won’t have the support of the people he needs in order to pull anything off.

Yeah I tend to agree.  He's played it all wrong if he was hoping for a  narrow loss in which he could push the narrative of being cheated.  The only thing he might have is a lot of racist losers with guns.  So things could get very violent.  But they'll lose.

-David McAtee, the owner of a barbecue restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky, was killed during a protest on Monday.
McAtee was known in the community for giving food away, including to police officers, according to the Louisville Courier Journal.
-McAtee was killed after police and Kentucky National Guard members were fired upon and they returned fire, according to Gov. Andy Beshear.
-Locals expressed anger over reports that his body was left on the street for 12 hours after the shooting. 
-Besmear called for an investigation and said body-camera footage should be released by Monday evening. 
-Later on Monday, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said the police involved in the shooting did not have their body cameras on and that the police chief had been fired.

https://www.businessinsider.com/louisville-restaurant-owner-david-mcatee-death-body-left-hours-report-2020-6

50 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

LOL! Do you know murica? It's all about taxes, guns and not having national healthcare. Trump x 2.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess he *could* but there is no mechanism for Trump to remain in power after Inauguration day.  So it would be a coup d'etat and then we're talking about something absolutely insane.  And I still feel enough Generals wouldn't stand for it.  Certainly a lot of Congress and most States would not stand for it.  Civil War?

I don't think Trump gives a damn about bloodshed if it suits his agenda. He can always find, and has found lawyers like Jay Sekulow and Barr who can fabricate some sort of rationale for almost anything Trump chooses to do, and people like his current press secretary who will defend him to the public. Trump's lawyers have already argued in court that there ought to be no limits or accountability to presidential power. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I wish that were the case - but it isn't. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My hope is, knowing most of the GOP actually hates him, if he's delivered a big loss, Congress wont allow him to do anything horrific.  I cant imagine the Joint Chiefs standing by if Trump tries to order military strikes out of spite.  And certainly Congress wouldnt.  It would be a big constitutional crises.  Congress always could impeach and remove him but man, they'd have to do it quickly.  Also, Pence and the cabinet could remove him too.  If Pence values a future, he might have to take charge if the unthinkable happens and a deranged Trump tries to destroy America in those two months.

Come November I'm going with when, not if, purely for sanity purposes.

Reports and video reveal police destroying and ‘looting’ critical medical supplies during protests

As protests over the killing of George Floyd continue, nonviolent demonstrators have not only been subjected to tear gas and rubber bullets — they have also witnessed police officers destroying water bottles and other vital supplies. And this pattern is being reported in U.S. cities ranging from Louisville, Kentucky to Asheville, North Carolina.

In the Asheville Citizen Times, journalists John Boyle and David Thompson report that protestors “set up a makeshift medical tent” that police officers destroyed. According to Boyle and Thompson, “Glenna Grant, 33, watched in horror as APD officers destroyed the tent, water bottles and medical supplies. Grant said she and others had set up the medical center and had not planned to protest, but rather, provide a safe space for anyone injured during the night.”

https://www.alternet.org/2020/06/reports-and-video-reveal-police-destroying-critical-protest-supplies-during-protests/

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bet there are an awful lot of republican senators who wish they had taken the chance to get rid of Trump when they could have.

Nah - Fox News is still telling their base that its AntiFA and 'foreign agitators' that are the problem...  Trump will still get re-elected even with all this garbage

Travis McMichael Called Ahmaud Arbery the N-Word as He Lay Dying on the Ground: Witness
Investigators said in a Thursday bond hearing that Gregory McMichael told his son “don’t shoot” before the fatal Feb. 23 incident.

VIA REUTERS
The Georgia man who shot 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery while he was jogging on a residential street allegedly called him the n-word after the fatal incident, investigators said Thursday.

During a probable cause hearing in Brunswick on Thursday for three men accused in Arbery’s Feb. 23 slaying, Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Richard Dial revealed that Travis McMichael called Arbery a “*******  n---er” as Arbery lay on the ground with three gunshot wounds.

37 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bet there are an awful lot of republican senators who wish they had taken the chance to get rid of Trump when they could have.

No I think they very early most showed their true colors and they stuck with it. My point is make sure that don't try to hide that true color by now showing a different color to hide it. 

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Garble ****

Bernie Sanders calls on Democrats to embrace 8-point plan to end police brutality
"We have got to act boldly to eradicate systemic racism and police violence," Bernie Sanders tweeted

As the nationwide uprising catalyzed by the police killing of George Floyd continues to bring hundreds of thousands of Americans into city streets around the U.S., Sen. Bernie Sanders is urging the Democratic leadership to embrace a slate of specific policy proposals aimed at mitigating the intertwined crises of systemic racism and unaccountable brutality by law enforcement.

"I am calling for sweeping policy reforms to protect people — particularly communities of color — who have suffered violence for far too long," the Vermont senator wrote in a letter (pdf) to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Wednesday.

Sanders' letter outlines eight policy proposals that the senator says would, if implemented, "contribute greatly to the eradication of police violence in this country."

Amend federal civil rights laws to allow more effective prosecution of police misconduct by changing the standard from willfulness to recklessness;
Abolish "qualified immunity," so police officers can be held civilly liable for abuses;
Prohibit the transfer of offensive military equipment to police departments;
Strip federal funds from departments that violate civil rights;
Create a federal model policing program that emphasizes de-escalation, non-lethal force and culturally competent policing in which access to federal funds depends upon the level of reform adopted. As part of this effort to modernize and humanize police departments we need to enhance the recruitment pool by ensuring that the resources are available to pay wages that will attract the top-tier officers we need to do the difficult work of policing;
Provide funding to states and municipalities to create civilian corps of unarmed first responders to supplement law enforcement, such as social workers, EMTs, and trained mental health professionals, who can handle order maintenance violations, mental health emergencies, and low-level conflicts to aid police officers;
Require agencies to make records of police misconduct publicly available;
Require all jurisdictions that receive federal grant funding to establish independent police conduct review boards that are broadly representative of the community and that have the authority to refer deaths that occur at the hands of police or in police custody to federal authorities for investigation. In addition, the boards would be authorized to report to federal authorities other types of abuses by police including patterns of misconduct. This would be supplemental to current federal authority to commence investigations. Clearly we need to enhance federal funding for such investigations

23 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the demonstrations. These gun nuts think they really  are going to be able stand up to the government with their guns

I dunno.   Read plenty of heroic posts, where real patriots pound their keyboard, brag about their in-house arsenals, and bellow threats in an impressive manner, indeed.....

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

No I think they very early most showed their true colors and they stuck with it. My point is make sure that don't try to hide that true color by now showing a different color to hide it. 

Nah all I'm saying is that I bet they regret choosing party line greed over ousting Trump when they had the chance. Not that they feel bad for what has happened but because he's sewering republican reelection chances everywhere. 

They had an easy out and fumbled it.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Nah all I'm saying is that I bet they regret choosing party line greed over ousting Trump when they had the chance. Not that they feel bad for what has happened but because he's sewering republican reelection chances everywhere. 

They had an easy out and fumbled it.

Like say, allowing actual witnesses at Trump's impeachment trial....