Black Lives Matter

Rich

56 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Totally agree. The entire time I am watching these protests... I kept thinking of the Michigan protest against the stay at home orders- there is a stark difference in how each group was treated... 

Armed protesters storming the capitol in Michigan and nothing... nothing... 

George Floyd protesters... unarmed and peacefully protesting boom, crack down. 

What do you think would have happened if the Black protesters were armed to the teeth like these assholes? 

200415-michigan-protest-video-tease__415

I fear that this will come to pass if the cops who did the killing walk. If the Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Semites arm themselves, it will be all-out urban warfare.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I fear that this will come to pass if the cops who did the killing walk. If the Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Semites arm themselves, it will be all-out urban warfare.

The militia guys are mostly from the boonies.  I doubt they'd know how to use a pedestrian crosswalk.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

The militia guys are mostly from the boonies.  I doubt they'd know how to use a pedestrian crosswalk.

The potential for urban warfare will come from the politicians who will be propelled into directing the police and military by panic among the white population stoked by Fox News and such. 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

While I strongly agree that in broad terms gun control is a huge problem, it is not germaine to this issue.  The proof is how differently police approach and confront people of colour as opposed to how they treat whites.  Where was the tear gas when the white nationalists stormed the Michigan State Capitol building or in Charlottesville?  It's not hard to find footage of police shootings of POC for minor traffic infractions, while the Bundy's of the world are literally pointing their weapons at law enforcement and nothing happens.

I think it's all part of one big picture. Obviously the overt racism and double standard is the main problem, however I really do believe that a well armed citizenry is a big part of why police feel free to act the way they do. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think it's all part of one big picture. Obviously the overt racism and double standard is the main problem, however I really do believe that a well armed citizenry is a big part of why police feel free to act the way they do. 

And I'd argue that sentiment just lets the racist cops off the hook.

Edited by Wideleft

Trump voters wanted this all along — now the trolling has turned to real-world violence. Right-wingers were thrilled because Trump "triggers the liberals" — now that trigger has become literal
AMANDA MARCOTTE
JUNE 2, 2020 5:32PM (UTC)
Eager to get home to South Philadelphia before curfew — about an hour's walk — I left Monday's Black Lives Matter protest a few minutes before the police decided to tear-gas the peaceful crowd. The videos of the incident are terrifying — people desperately trying to scramble away from the painful gas, but trapped in the cloud by a fence and a hill that only a few could scramble over. It was a repeat of what is happening in city after city — most notably in Washington, where President Trump had a peaceful crowd gassed because they were getting in the way of a photo op — as police across the nation, evidently inspired by Trump's violent and authoritarian rhetoric, have begun violently crushing nonviolent protesters.

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/02/trump-voters-wanted-this-all-along--now-the-trolling-has-turned-to-real-world-violence/

(One of the best articles on the current situation that I have come across)

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Only if you want to take a small field view of things. 

It's not an either or thing here, it's all part of a big picture. 

Last time I checked, the protests were not about gun control.  That's why I stated "germaine to this discussion" a while back.

"Urban riots must now be recognized as durable social phenomena. They may be deplored, but they are there and should be understood. Urban riots are a special form of violence. They are not insurrections. The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are a distorted form of social protest. The looting which is their principal feature serves many functions. It enables the most enraged and deprived ***** to take hold of consumer goods with the ease the white man does by using his purse. Often the ***** does not even want what he takes; he wants the experience of taking. But most of all, alienated from society and knowing that this society cherishes property above people, he is shocking it by abusing property rights. There are thus elements of emotional catharsis in the violent act. This may explain why most cities in which riots have occurred have not had a repetition, even though the causative conditions remain. It is also noteworthy that the amount of physical harm done to white people other than police is infinitesimal and in Detroit whites and Negroes looted in unity.

A profound judgment of today’s riots was expressed by Victor Hugo a century ago. He said, ‘If a soul is left in the darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.’

The policymakers of the white society have caused the darkness; they create discrimination; they structured slums; and they perpetuate unemployment, ignorance and poverty. It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are derivative crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of the white society. When we ask Negroes to abide by the law, let us also demand that the white man abide by law in the ghettos. Day-in and day-out he violates welfare laws to deprive the poor of their meager allotments; he flagrantly violates building codes and regulations; his police make a mockery of law; and he violates laws on equal employment and education and the provisions for civic services. The slums are the handiwork of a vicious system of the white society; Negroes live in them but do not make them any more than a prisoner makes a prison. Let us say boldly that if the violations of law by the white man in the slums over the years were calculated and compared with the law-breaking of a few days of riots, the hardened criminal would be the white man. These are often difficult things to say but I have come to see more and more that it is necessary to utter the truth in order to deal with the great problems that we face in our society."
- Martin Luther King

Has to start somewhere..

Walz said the investigation into the police department's policies, procedures and practices over the past 10 years will determine if the force has engaged in systemic discrimination toward people of colour, and work out how to stop it. State Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero will lead the investigation.