Black Lives Matter

Rich

28 minutes ago, Rich said:

Crazy what is going on in Minnesota right now.  The States is such a huge mess right now.

Checkout this CNN article and video.   A reporter is arrested live during a broadcast.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/h_4ed08403663fa4ed3518221d0f2a1552

What we are seeing in the US is pent-up rage at the daily, thousands of incidents of stop-and-frisk, jump-outs and racial profiling that have gone on unchallenged by the vast majority of Americans and it has finally boiled over. There is no quick or easy fix.

Crazy what's been going on in the US for 400 years. A revolution is coming. It's clear from the top on down that it's the only way to change the system. 

Kneel and you're called a ******. The President threatens you. The VP does a publicity stunt to rile the racist base. 

Protest and the President calls you a THUG (which is just code for the n-word) and threatens to shoot you. 

This is America.

And, let's not pretend we don't have a similar issue here in Canada. The Rebel is out there, pretending to be a news org, but is really just promoting racism and hatred. They survive because there is an appetite for this racism here. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

I have said this before I will say this again, this would never of happened if they would of arrested the cop on the spot for murder, pure and simple end of story

George Floyd would still be dead. It continues to happen. It won't stop. 

Just now, JCon said:

George Floyd would still be dead. It continues to happen. It won't stop. 

You are right and it's sad that this happens in the States, but at least they wouldn't fan the flames of by not taking action against the cop, firing him and his accomplice brothers and not charging him was a slap in the face  

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Crazy what's been going on in the US for 400 years. A revolution is coming. It's clear from the top on down that it's the only way to change the system. 

Kneel and you're called a ******. The President threatens you. The VP does a publicity stunt to rile the racist base. 

Protest and the President calls you a THUG (which is just code for the n-word) and threatens to shoot you. 

This is America.

And, let's not pretend we don't have a similar issue here in Canada. The Rebel is out there, pretending to be a news org, but is really just promoting racism and hatred. They survive because there is an appetite for this racism here. 

Yup.

With the current divide, I don't see any other outcome other than a revolution or civil war. it's only going to get worse closer to the election, and even if Trump and the republicans are defeated, that exit is going to be messy as hell, and those issues are still going to be boiling over.

My family has been gradually going to the US less and less often, and I don't know if we will go back for the foreseeable future, other than Hawaii that seems to avoid the vast majority of this. For the last 12-15 years I have been going to Mlps for a beer convention in October- not this year for sure. The current riots will dissipate but the country as a whole will be a shitshow for years.

When Trump was elected, we knew it would be bad, but I don't think many thought it would be this bad.

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

What we are seeing in the US is pent-up rage at the daily, thousands of incidents of stop-and-frisk, jump-outs and racial profiling that have gone on unchallenged by the vast majority of Americans and it has finally boiled over. There is no quick or easy fix.

I think it's partially this and mostly mob mentality and part of the culture.   You don't see the latins riot when they face the same issues.    I don't take the cause seriously when people are laughing and looting.   

12 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I have said this before I will say this again, this would never of happened if they would of arrested the cop on the spot for murder, pure and simple end of story

It should never have gotten to that. That cop ought to have been trained in proper restraint of force, and disciplined when he stepped over the time the other, prior times. Even so, the other police present should have intervened before it got to the point where the arrested man was gasping and dying. From the video, it looked like the officer was kneeling on the man's carotid artery, and that will kill if held long enough.

Zero tolerance for bad cops is needed.  Ofcourse that’s just the symptom we’re talking about right now.  There is racism everywhere.  You’ve got a racist president and his racist supporters.  

But in regards to the cops, there is just no excuse.  Every single cop should have bad extensive training on positional asphyxiation. Not that it matters Because  there was zero reason to be restraining this man.   The criminal justice system has long needed reforming in the US.  This is just another example.  

56 minutes ago, itchy said:

Yup.

With the current divide, I don't see any other outcome other than a revolution or civil war. it's only going to get worse closer to the election, and even if Trump and the republicans are defeated, that exit is going to be messy as hell, and those issues are still going to be boiling over.

My family has been gradually going to the US less and less often, and I don't know if we will go back for the foreseeable future, other than Hawaii that seems to avoid the vast majority of this. For the last 12-15 years I have been going to Mlps for a beer convention in October- not this year for sure. The current riots will dissipate but the country as a whole will be a shitshow for years.

When Trump was elected, we knew it would be bad, but I don't think many thought it would be this bad.

No actually many thought it would be this bad.

GOP Senate candidate told black leaders it’s pointless to call out Trump racism

Written by Igor Derysh / Salon May 29, 2020

John James, the Republican nominee for a U.S. Senate seat in Michigan, privately told African-American leaders in the state that it was pointless to publicly call out President Donald Trump’s racist statements — shortly before he publicly criticized former Vice President Joe Biden for “hurtful” remarks he made about black voters.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/05/leaked-video-gop-senate-candidate-told-black-leaders-its-pointless-to-call-out-trump-racism/

Dwayne Johnson Denounces Death Of George Floyd: ‘This Is Our Ongoing Disease’
The Rock demanded “HUMANITY code" for police officers in a passionate Instagram post lamenting Floyd's treatment by Minneapolis police.
By Lee Moran, HuffPost US

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson decried the “ongoing disease” of racism and police violence as he became the latest high profile figure to express outrage over the death of George Floyd. The wrestler-turned-actor wrote on Instagram Thursday that he was “stunned trying to make sense” of Floyd’s death.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-george-floyd-post_n_5ed0f96bc5b6a2136472b8f4

1 hour ago, itchy said:

Yup.

I can honestly say I did think it would be this bad - only I left room for worse.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I think it's partially this and mostly mob mentality and part of the culture.   You don't see the latins riot when they face the same issues.    I don't take the cause seriously when people are laughing and looting.   

Oh please.

Riots erupt in Vancouver after Canucks loss

Dozens injured amid scenes of violence, looting

CBC News · Posted: Jun 15, 2011 7:56 PM PT | Last Updated: June 13, 2014

Riot police fired tear gas, pepper spray and flash bombs in downtown Vancouver Wednesday night to try to disperse angry rioters who set cars on fire, looted stores and taunted police officers after the Canucks' 4-0 Stanley Cup final loss to the Boston Bruins.

Police declared the downtown fan zone area near the CBC building and the central post office a riot zone. Anyone not leaving the West Georgia Street area immediately could be arrested, they warned.

Police used batons and also turned police dogs on the rioters, slowly pushing the crowd back along Georgia Street from Hamilton Street to Cambie Street.

Two police cars were set on fire in a parking lot on Cambie Street near one of the areas where police were being confronted by a few dozen people among the hundreds present who were throwing debris at officers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/riots-erupt-in-vancouver-after-canucks-loss-1.993707

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

You need to stop conflating the protests and the riots- they are not the same. As happened in Vancouver some years ago in the Stanley Cup riot, there are those who will look for an excuse to blend into a legitimate gathering and then wreak havok. The Latinos do not face the same degree of systemic, violent racism, but I suspect that if the blacks were not there, they would be next.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Crazy what is going on in Minnesota right now.  The States is such a huge mess right now.

Checkout this CNN article and video.   A reporter is arrested live during a broadcast.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/h_4ed08403663fa4ed3518221d0f2a1552

What a surprise.  The reporter, who was clearly a reporter and had his ID, was black.  Unbelievable.  

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

What a surprise.  The reporter, who was clearly a reporter and had his ID, was black.  Unbelievable.  

Sadly, it is believable, and not rare. When a presidential candidate tells a crowd that if they choose to attack a protestor, he will defend them and pay their legal bills, this is the inevitable result. And I do not believe for a moment that he would have actually paid out any money, the cheap bastard.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Look at how trump refers to protestors.  

you stand with trump, you’re a racist.  

What I find incredibly frustrating is when you present these types of facts to certain types of Trump Supporters who would never brand themselves as racists, they deflect with their whatabout bluster and go to their misguided sizzling hot economy and plenty of jobs 'argument'. All they have left is the whatabout deflections which is mindnumbing to watch.