Where are you working during the Covid-10 shutdown - March 23rd

JCon

Where are you working during the Covid-10 shutdown - March 23rd  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you working during the Covid-10 shutdown - March 23rd

• Working/Studying from Office/Retail Space/Warehouse/Site.
    • Working/Studying from Home
    • Working/Studying from both Home and Office/Retail Space/Warehouse/Site
    • Laid Off
    • Retired - Social distance yourself off my lawn

I'm curious how everyone's work/study life has changed during this time. I'm curious, if you're willing to share, what industry you're in and how your work has physically changed. 

If anyone is interested, I would do this poll weekly until the crisis is over and we get back to some semblance of normalcy. 

things are interesting here. for the past week my wife has something that might be CV19.  her slow-onset fever is right but her cough is wrong.  so we are treating her like a CV19 infectee, our house is in quarantine, and furthermore she is isolating herself from me. Since we have a single-bathroom house, that's complicated. lots of wiping of surfaces going on here. 

on top of that, I've got some kind of non CV19 sinus thing going on with turbo fatigue that's got me sleeping about 75% of the time.  seem to have shook that over the weekend and planning on regular working from home tomorrow.  My wife's isolation protocol ends tomorrow (1 week after first symptoms, or 3 days after symptoms end, whichever comes first).  I'm going to cook something nice and we'll have a Better Call Saul date or we'll play the untitled goose game together.

There are rumors flying around town (Seattle) that the state will be under formal cop-enforced lockdown soon. Other states have done this already.

all the best from out here.  go bombers (though I wonder if there will be a CFL season at all in 2021)

Combo of both home and work. I can do most of my "office" duties from home, but I'm on air hosting two afternoon drive shows at the same time every weekday, which is something i have to be on site to do. We've locked our doors, and only essential staff are allowed in for the time being. 

Last Monday they told us all we're now working from home where we can, but for people in my role that still requires doing some site work and lab work in the office. It's not perfect but I feel like it's a good solution. I hate it though. I am not cut out for the working from home thing, 

Today, finally, they let us go home.  We’re considered essential. No lap tops. No mobile communications so in the span of ten days or so they got everything they needed, software, hardware etc to make it possible and tested it today.  Sent us home with our desktop computers.  

looking forward to it to be honest. Hope it works out and they give us the option when this is all over 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Last Monday they told us all we're now working from home where we can, but for people in my role that still requires doing some site work and lab work in the office. It's not perfect but I feel like it's a good solution. I hate it though. I am not cut out for the working from home thing, 

I hear you, man.  When I was newlywed I was working as a novelist, so I was at home alone all day every day with just my stupid book in my head for company and yeah, that got old pretty fast.

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

things are interesting here. for the past week my wife has something that might be CV19.  her slow-onset fever is right but her cough is wrong.  so we are treating her like a CV19 infectee, our house is in quarantine, and furthermore she is isolating herself from me. Since we have a single-bathroom house, that's complicated. lots of wiping of surfaces going on here. 

on top of that, I've got some kind of non CV19 sinus thing going on with turbo fatigue that's got me sleeping about 75% of the time.  seem to have shook that over the weekend and planning on regular working from home tomorrow.  My wife's isolation protocol ends tomorrow (1 week after first symptoms, or 3 days after symptoms end, whichever comes first).  I'm going to cook something nice and we'll have a Better Call Saul date or we'll play the untitled goose game together.

There are rumors flying around town (Seattle) that the state will be under formal cop-enforced lockdown soon. Other states have done this already.

all the best from out here.  go bombers (though I wonder if there will be a CFL season at all in 2021)

My son texted my wife. The State of Washington is under a stay at home order as of almost an hour ago. Stay safe, Johnzo.

I've been laid off. No school.  No school bus drivers. The company I work for is trying to get us a little bit more pay to the end of March. But some of the school boards may not want to pay us. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Working from home at the moment. 

I'm in the middle of jumping from one project/department to another though so I'll have to go into the office at least once (probably twice) over the next couple weeks to clean out my desk and return some equipment. 

Back to the home office after that for the next while.

Just reading through the Washington State executive order.  It's not as harsh as I thought it would be -- only essential businesses can open, but restaurant delivery and takeout is considered essential ... and so are cannabis stores.  :lol:

Edited by johnzo

buddy works for the feds in Winnipeg as does his wife.  Different departments.  Wife was told she could work from home when the school announcement came down.  Buddy works in what he describes as not at all essential and they insisted their group was working in the office.  Yesterday he said they were all "casually asked" if they had tried their lap tops from home to make sure they worked.  So he thinks everyone will be sent home but him (because he receives faxes and apparently the feds cant set up an e-fax program. 

He also says with his wife and kids at home, he'd prefer to go to the office 

My first day working from home.  The expected chaos as people try to get all our systems logged in.  Worked smoothly for me.  I really enjoy it thus far.  We're using USB headsets to take/make calls and some people are experiencing audio issues so it sounds like their bringing VOIP hard phones tomorrow.

The Chinese character for crisis is a combination of two: "dangerous" and "opportunity". This appears to be very apt for what we are going through, not only as a nation-society but also globally. Maybe we can take the lessons out of this and learn that some work can also be done from home, and reassess all the things that clutter up our lives and cost more than they contribute to our lives.

I work as a non-essential employee at a nuclear power plant here in Ontario. I got the call on Saturday to stay home for the foreseeable future. I was instructed to file for and collect E.I. as it may go on for a long time. I attempted to file for E.I. and was instructed to call their 1-800 number since I was laid off due to the coronavirus. I have been trying for 2 days to get through to them and it is always the same -- call in, hit buttons as per the voice prompts, and finally get told to call back and try again due to the high volume of calls. Wonderful.

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

I work as a non-essential employee at a nuclear power plant here in Ontario. I got the call on Saturday to stay home for the foreseeable future. I was instructed to file for and collect E.I. as it may go on for a long time. I attempted to file for E.I. and was instructed to call their 1-800 number since I was laid off due to the coronavirus. I have been trying for 2 days to get through to them and it is always the same -- call in, hit buttons as per the voice prompts, and finally get told to call back and try again due to the high volume of calls. Wonderful.

Does a guy named Homer work there?