Covid-19

JCon

We need more of this, not only for issues related to Covid but for how people confuse Freedom of Speech is meant as freedom to lie without consequences.

From the Canadian Press:

Alberta Court of Appeal dismisses unvaccinated woman's case for organ donation.

She can refuse the vaccine, the ruling says, but there are consequences that flow from that decision. 

So to my point, exchange the sentences above to read, he can lie all he wants, i.e., freedom to say whatever you want, but there are consequences that flow from that decision. 

59 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

We need more of this, not only for issues related to Covid but for how people confuse Freedom of Speech is meant as freedom to lie without consequences.

From the Canadian Press:

Alberta Court of Appeal dismisses unvaccinated woman's case for organ donation.  She can refuse the vaccine, the ruling says, but there are consequences that flow from that decision. 

So to my point, exchange the sentences above to read, he can lie all he wants, i.e., freedom to say whatever you want, but there are consequences that flow from that decision. 

Unless you have lotsa money and/or friends in power.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/perry-handleman-ottawa-covid-obituary-masks-1.6649886

The obituary for Perry Handleman, a chronically ill man who recently died in hospital after being diagnosed with COVID-19, ran three short paragraphs, with no photo.

But its last line — calling on people to mask up and keep their vaccinations up to date — packs a punch as hospitals across Ontario juggle a triple whammy of COVID-19, influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), says one of the province's top doctors. 

perry-handleman-obituary.JPG

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

We have a winner in the “Last Member of MBB to not Get Covid Pool” congrats iHeart!

Yep, Frosty red lined today. 

be well, Frosty. Days 4/5 were the worst for me, then progressively better... honestly the cold/flu I had this fall was worse than the COVID I had last year...

1 hour ago, bb.king said:

I haven’t had it yet either, although my wife tested positive a couple days ago so it could just be a matter of time. 

Good chance but not necessarily

I know plenty of people who either never had it or remained asymptomatic - when other household members had it

Some people's immune systems are just better at fighting Covid

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I know plenty of people who either never had it or remained asymptomatic - when other household members had it

My wife got it and I did not.  I fully expect to leave Regina on Monday with some sort of disease though!  

Edited by bigg jay
Ducking autocorrect

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

which would be odd for me considering I'm immunocompromised because of the arthritis medication I take

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/china-expands-lockdowns-as-covid-19-cases-hit-daily-record-1.6166751

BEIJING -- Pandemic lockdowns are expanding across China, including in a city where factory workers clashed this week with police, as the number of COVID-19 cases hits a daily record.

Residents of eight districts of Zhengzhou, home to 6.6 million people, were told to stay home for five days beginning Thursday except to buy food or get medical treatment. Daily mass testing was ordered in what the city government called a "war of annihilation" against the virus.

In the previous 24 hours, the number of new COVID cases rose by 31,444, the National Health Commission said Thursday. That's the highest daily figure since the coronavirus was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019.

On 2022-11-19 at 2:35 PM, bigg jay said:

My wife got it and I did not.  I fully expect to leave Regina on Monday with some sort of disease though!  

Haven't tested positive for COVID but came home with the Grey Cup flu and it's been kicking my ass the last few days.  Feeling half-way decent today though so maybe my body just needed time to get rid of the Sask stink.

My wife had contracted COVID this past summer when she went to visit a friend in Humboldt and now I got this from Regina so moral of the story?  It's best just to stay the **** out of Saskatchewan (not that anyone should have needed reminding of this).

6 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Got my bivalent booster and flu shot yesterday (that's my fifth Covid shot).

No side effects and my family of 4 still has not tested positive.  

On the other hand, it seems my school age daughter has RSV and has missed this entire week of class.

My wife has been saying that I should have been shot a long time ago. 

Our Next Best COVID Drug Has Been Hiding In Plain Sight

The fight against COVID seems to have fallen into a ping-ponging rhythm at this point, where every step forward seems undercut by one backward. Vaccines are available, and hospitalization rates have fallen dramatically from previous peaks. But just a sliver of eligible Americans have received the most recent bivalent shot, and the specter of a new, somehow worse variant looms large in our collective psyche. Elsewhere, such as in China, we seem to be losing ground to the virus: a less effective vaccine, paired with low vaccination rates, limited natural immunity, and discontent over a national Zero-COVID policy, may spell disaster in the coming weeks. But amid this impasse, scientists may have found a drug that will decisively shift the battle back toward humanity’s side. And the best part is, people have already been prescribed this drug for over 30 years.

Though they can be highly effective, our current methods of preventing and treating COVID-19 infections all suffer from a fatal flaw, said Teresa Brevini, a U.K. biologist who recently completed her PhD at Cambridge University.

“Vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, and antivirals all act on the virus, and unfortunately, as we've seen, this virus is quite smart and it can mutate,” Brevini told The Daily Beast. She is the first author of a new study into ursodeoxycholic acid, or UDCA, to prevent COVID. Crucially, instead of acting on the virus, UDCA modifies human cells to block the virus from infecting them. “If we just shut the door on the virus, it really cannot do anything,” Brevini said.

Brevini and her colleagues’ research was published in the journal Nature on Monday.

UDCA “shuts the door” on COVID by decreasing the amount of a receptor called ACE2 on the surface of cells. ACE2 normally controls blood pressure and limits organ damage, but by a twist of fate, it also makes for the perfect docking station for the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. When the virus infects the cells in a person’s respiratory tract, it uses ACE2 receptors like doorways.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-repurposed-liver-drug-may-be-our-best-bet-against-covid-19?ref=home

CDC Chief Shares 'Good News' About This Year's Flu Vaccine

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky on Monday shared “good news” about this year’s annual flu vaccine, calling it “lifesaving.”

Walensky said the shot appears to be effective against the influenza strain that’s circulating. “Right now, the good news is that it looks like it is a very good match,” she told reporters.

This comes as cases of both COVID and flu have been on the rise. Walensky called the trend “worrisome” amid the holiday season, when many are gathering indoors with little ventilation.

So far this season, there have been at least 8.7 million illnesses, 78,000 hospitalizations, and 4,500 deaths from flu, according to CDC estimates. Over 19,000 patients were hospitalized with flu during the week ending on Nov. 26.

The best way to protect against infection and severe illness from flu is getting the annual shot, the CDC says. The vaccine is recommended for everyone above 6 months old.

“I want to emphasize that the flu vaccine can be lifesaving and importantly there is still time to get vaccinated to be protected against flu this season,” Walensky said.

'Neglect': Unvaccinated people more likely to have serious driving accidents

People who refused to get the COVID-19 vaccine have a 72 percent higher chance of getting into a traffic crash that requires hospitalization, a new study published in the American Journal of Medicine says.

The study looked at data of 11.2 million people taken from 178 medical centers in Ontario, Canada. Researchers found that 84 percent had received a COVID-19 vaccine as of July 31, 2021 while 16 percent hadn’t.
Researchers also found that, in a one-month period, 6,682 of all the individuals had received care for serious car crashes. Of those individuals, 75 percent had received COVID-19 vaccinations and 25 percent hadn’t.

This may sound like vaccinated individuals were more likely to get into car crashes. But because the 25 percent of unvaccinated crash victims came from a smaller pool of similarly unvaccinated individuals, researchers calculated that unvaxxed people were 72 percent more likely to be in a serious traffic accident when compared to vaxxed`individuals.

“We theorized that individual adults who tend to resist public health recommendations might also neglect basic road safety guidelines,” the study’s authors stated.

https://www.alternet.org/neglect-unvaccinated-people-more-accidents/

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

'Neglect': Unvaccinated people more likely to have serious driving accidents

People who refused to get the COVID-19 vaccine have a 72 percent higher chance of getting into a traffic crash that requires hospitalization, a new study published in the American Journal of Medicine says.

The study looked at data of 11.2 million people taken from 178 medical centers in Ontario, Canada. Researchers found that 84 percent had received a COVID-19 vaccine as of July 31, 2021 while 16 percent hadn’t.
Researchers also found that, in a one-month period, 6,682 of all the individuals had received care for serious car crashes. Of those individuals, 75 percent had received COVID-19 vaccinations and 25 percent hadn’t.

This may sound like vaccinated individuals were more likely to get into car crashes. But because the 25 percent of unvaccinated crash victims came from a smaller pool of similarly unvaccinated individuals, researchers calculated that unvaxxed people were 72 percent more likely to be in a serious traffic accident when compared to vaxxed`individuals.

“We theorized that individual adults who tend to resist public health recommendations might also neglect basic road safety guidelines,” the study’s authors stated.

https://www.alternet.org/neglect-unvaccinated-people-more-accidents/

Checks out.