Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I got my Biavelent booster yesterday. That's 4 and I have not turned magnetic. I don't have a 5G hookup and I didn't die in a year. Its almost as if you can't trust random people on the internet.

But think of the money you’d save on cell phone bills if you did get a 5G hookup. 

The SARS-CoV-2 virus may damage some patients' hearts, a study in Immunology suggests

For months, scientists have been expressing concern about the increase in cardiovascular diseases among COVID-19 patients, even after the SARS-CoV-2 virus has long since cleared their bodies. These heart issues have long been part of the larger conversation about the long-term aftermath of COVID-19, with a June study by the Department of Veterans Affairs even finding that those reinfected with COVID-19 were twice as likely to either die or have a heart attack as people who were only infected once.

"The two respiratory viruses (COVID and flu) look very different in the hearts of these patients."

Now, a new study in the scientific journal Immunology uses a technique known as spatial transcriptomics — which allows scientists to directly map how genes are expressed on tissues — to reveal the SARS-CoV-2 virus' unique effects on human organs. The study compared SARS-CoV-2 to the influenza virus H1N1, which caused the 2009 pandemic.

Unfortunately, the evidence also suggests that the SARS-CoV-2 virus is more damaging to human organs, and for a longer period of time, compared to H1N1.
In the study, the scientists examined and compared heart tissue from individuals who had died from both diseases, as well as a group of control patients. While the COVID-19 patients did not have the SARS-CoV-2 virus itself present in their heart tissue, the cardiac muscles showed signs of DNA damage that was unique to them — and which was utterly distinct from the inflammatory signal from influenza patients. By contrast, COVID-19 patients had a suppressed inflammatory signal.

"The two respiratory viruses (COVID and flu) look very different in the hearts of these patients," corresponding author Dr. Arutha Kulasinghe from the University of Queensland told Salon by email. "DNA damage is a marker of genomic instability — we've known about it in chronic conditions such as cancer, neurodegenerative disease and diabetes — however its role in COVID was not known and the clinical implications for this aren't clear at this stage."

Kulasinghe expressed concern that their findings may be "the 'canary in the coal mine,'" revealing that there are fundamental biological differences between how influenza and COVID-19 affect the human heart.

Rising cases of variants BQ.1 and XBB could make COVID drugs all but useless, study finds

As colder weather sets in, public health experts are keeping a close eye on COVID-19 variants that could spell doom and gloom this winter, just like omicron did last year. Yet these nascent variants that are rapidly spreading abroad have an evil twist that omicron lacked: an ability to evade the drugs that humans have developed to fight the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

The two subvariants of particular concern are known as BQ.1 and BQ.1.1, both off-shoots of the omicron variant BA.5 (but with several key changes.) Indeed, they seem able to evade many of the tools we have to defend against it, which could trigger a wave of hospitalizations, disabling victims with long COVID or death.

Also worrying are two other strains: one called BA.2.75.2, which seems to be spreading quickly in Singapore, India and regions of Europe;  and XBB, which some research suggests is the most antibody-evasive strain tested, almost on the level of the SARS-CoV-1 virus (known then simply as "SARS") that caused an outbreak in 2003. This could make the new vaccines relatively useless (but still better than nothing.) Moreover, an outbreak caused by one of these highly drug- and antibody-resistant variants could be much worse due to many world governments performing far less testing and reduced public health surveillance compared to 2020 and 2021.

Despite some confusing remarks from President Joseph Biden, the pandemic appears far from over. The SARS-CoV-2 virus has essentially been given free rein the last several months, allowing it to mutate and evolve new ways around immunity and vaccinations. These tiny alterations are largely focused in the spike protein, the hooks surrounding the virus used to insert itself into cells and reproduce.

The difference between variants and subvariants comes down to the level of genetic changes in the virus. It appears that the adaptations necessary to evade immune detection are becoming more and more slight — and, more curiously, all the subsequent major mutations have stemmed directly from the omicron variant, which appears to be incredibly successful at reproducing already. Indeed, we may not see a major new strain any time soon because these omicron lineages are just so good at spreading, although it's difficult to predict anything with certainty.

https://www.salon.com/2022/10/04/bq1-xbb-variants-resistant/

On 2022-10-06 at 10:19 PM, Noeller said:

Blech. I'm negative (x2) so far, but shitty cold for the past week that just won't kick. That time of year when it usually seems to happen. I forgot how shitty it can be having a cold... It's been a while! 

Yep. I was really sick at the end August, before school started

This Deadly COVID Twist Is Like Nothing We’ve Seen Before

As the wave of COVID infections from the highly-contagious BA.5 subvariant finally subsided back in late July, new subvariants were already competing for dominance—and the opportunity to drive the next wave of infections.

A little over two months later, epidemiologists are close to naming a winner. In the United Kingdom, infections from a highly mutated subvariant called BQ.1.1 are doubling every week—a rate of growth that far exceeds other leading subvariants. In the U.S., BQ.1.1 is spreading twice as fast as its cousin subvariant BA.2.75.2.

That means BQ.1.1 is very contagious. But that’s not the subvariant’s most alarming quality. What’s most worrying is that it also evades certain antibodies. In fact, BQ.1.1 seems to be the first form of COVID against which antibody therapies—evusheld and bebtelovimab, for instance—don’t work at all.

Luckily, the best vaccines still work against BQ.1.1—especially the latest “bivalent” messenger-RNA boosters. Uptake of the new booster has been shockingly sluggish, however, meaning the new jabs aren’t yet offering much protection on a population level.

We have the tools to defeat COVID. But “the reality is nobody is using the tools,” James Lawler, an infectious disease expert at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, told The Daily Beast.

Highly contagious and immune-evasive, BQ.1.1 is poised to take advantage of an increasingly vulnerable global population as antibodies from vaccinations and past infection gradually wear off in coming months. The question isn’t whether a fresh wave of infections is coming. It’s exactly when.

“We are stepping into a very fluid phase of the pandemic right now,” Edwin Michael, an epidemiologist at the Center for Global Health Infectious Disease Research at the University of South Florida, told The Daily Beast. Michael has built sophisticated computer models for simulating the COVID pandemic.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/deadly-twist-in-covid-variant-takes-the-world-by-surprise?ref=home

On 2022-10-02 at 12:29 PM, rebusrankin said:

I got my Biavelent booster yesterday. That's 4 and I have not turned magnetic. I don't have a 5G hookup and I didn't die in a year. Its almost as if you can't trust random people on the internet.

Ahhhh not a rando like you sheep, blindly taking orders from the medical establishment dictators, I do my own research and take my advice, direction from Mr. Theo Fleury former NHL star, patriot and lover of freedom, advocate for those who still haven’t found their voice, best selling author thank you very much.

17 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Booked mine at my local Co-Op. 2 week wait. There's like 6-8 mega sites then everyone else which is not easy to find on their site.

https://protectmb.ca/current-immunization-sites/

When they decided to not allow booking of boosters during the summer in preparation for a "big bivalent booster push" I certainly expected more. Booking my bivalent booster was way more difficult and frustrating than any other shot I've booked. Not to mention they shut down the convention centre just as the bivalent was becoming available to everyone...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-blood-transfusions-resistance-covid-1.6613841

Alberta physicians are raising the alarm about a dangerous trend — fuelled by misinformation — that could cost lives.

Dr. Stephanie Cooper, an obstetrician specializing in high-risk births at Foothills Medical Centre, said a patient recently refused to consent to a blood transfusion if it came from a donor who had received the COVID-19 vaccine.

"I'm quite concerned about it," she said, noting Canada's blood supply does not register the COVID vaccination status of donors.

"There isn't a choice to receive COVID vaccine-negative blood. So by declining blood, it means you will die."

This is not an isolated incident in Alberta.

"We're seeing it about once or twice a month, at this stage. And the worry is of course that these requests might increase," said Dr. Dave Sidhu, the southern Alberta medical lead for transfusion and transplant medicine. 

That includes parents of sick children.

"We do see a few, certainly in our bone marrow transplant patients in particular. You have to remember these kiddos are immuno-compromised and there's always more sensitivity around these patients, and some of them can be quite frail...

According to Timothy Caulfield, a Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy at the University of Alberta, these situations are becoming increasingly common.

"It's happening not just in Canada but really all over the world.… This is a really good example of a behaviour — of a request — that is the direct result of the spread of misinformation," he said.

"This is based on the idea that either the blood is contaminated, the blood is going to give them COVID, that they believe the risks associated with the COVID vaccines are going to have some adverse impact on them. So basically they've embraced and internalized the misinformation associated with the COVID vaccines and fear the blood as a result of that."

Caulfield said competent adults have the right to refuse treatment even if the decision could harm them.

"This really highlights, I think, how powerful misinformation can be. It can really have an impact in a way that can be dangerous," he said.

"There is no evidence to support these concerns."

The stupidity of people is staggering at times.

26 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm good with this. If they want to die for their stupidity and ignorance, let them. As long as they're not hurting anyone else, I'm fine.