Covid-19

JCon

Other good vaccine news:

Kids Vax - It may have already been posted, but it looks like the dose for the youngest ones should be here soon (YAY!). I read on another site that it was a different formulation than the vaccine they've been using up till now, but I haven't seen that confirmed. The other story also said it may begin being rolled out in June in the US. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Elicits Strong Immune Response in Kids Under 5 After Third Dose (hematologyadvisor.com)

Inhaled Vax - An aerosol vaccine is in early stages of development. Likely to be cheaper, better against variants (even ones not mutated yet) due to targeting more proteins than just the spike protein and also have less side effects. Beyond that, the technology could be used for other viruses. - The pandemic accelerated decades of research, leading to inhaled vaccine candidate for COVID-19 (medicalxpress.com)

Sounds like the inhaled vax could be a real game changer. Apparently they have been working on the tech for a while and Covid put more resources and urgency into developing it.

On 2022-06-07 at 9:40 PM, the watcher said:

A virus isn't political. A virus has nothing to do with religion , the Bible or Jesus, left , right or anything else people made up.  It both shocked and pissed me off how stupid some people were.

It's not I agree but it certainly became one. "Freedom Convoy" 

18 hours ago, WildPath said:

Other good vaccine news:

Kids Vax - It may have already been posted, but it looks like the dose for the youngest ones should be here soon (YAY!). I read on another site that it was a different formulation than the vaccine they've been using up till now, but I haven't seen that confirmed. The other story also said it may begin being rolled out in June in the US. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Elicits Strong Immune Response in Kids Under 5 After Third Dose (hematologyadvisor.com)

Inhaled Vax - An aerosol vaccine is in early stages of development. Likely to be cheaper, better against variants (even ones not mutated yet) due to targeting more proteins than just the spike protein and also have less side effects. Beyond that, the technology could be used for other viruses. - The pandemic accelerated decades of research, leading to inhaled vaccine candidate for COVID-19 (medicalxpress.com)

Sounds like the inhaled vax could be a real game changer. Apparently they have been working on the tech for a while and Covid put more resources and urgency into developing it.

Given the low booster response - I have a feeling none of this will make much of an impact. 

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Given the low booster response - I have a feeling none of this will make much of an impact. 

Don't tell that to people with children under 5 that have been waiting ages for a vaccine for their kids or people who are immunocompromised and are the first to get their boosters as soon as they are eligible. If both these come to fruition along with a fall booster that improves protection from Omicron - it will be massive the people who need it most and to those who care about those who need it most.

3 hours ago, WildPath said:

Don't tell that to people with children under 5 that have been waiting ages for a vaccine for their kids or people who are immunocompromised and are the first to get their boosters as soon as they are eligible. If both these come to fruition along with a fall booster that improves protection from Omicron - it will be massive the people who need it most and to those who care about those who need it most.

Vaccines work best when a high percentage of the population takes them. Less than half of Canadians have taken their third dose.

This, unfortunately, results in less protection for those who need it most.

I'm not sure why you'd want to withhold that information.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Vaccines work best when a high percentage of the population takes them. Less than half of Canadians have taken their third dose.

This, unfortunately, results in less protection for those who need it most.

I'm not sure why you'd want to withhold that information.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the withholding information comment. The vaccines we have access do have done a wonderful job protecting people from severe illness, hospitalization and death. Expanding access to a vulnerable group that hasn't had access to that before is a big deal, especially when some of the youngest still have high risks of Covid. I believe Mayo Clinic has said the youngest children have similar risks of 40-50 year old unvaccinated people. So yeah, big deal.

Not sure how you don't see the significance of aerosol technology if you read the story I posted. It is cheaper to create, easier to administer, less side effects, more effective than current vaccines and has longer-lasting immunity(including against new variants) is also a big deal. Not only for those who currently have access and desire to increase their personal protection (and those in contact with them), but for many around the world who still don't have access to vaccines. The fact that the technology can be used towards issues like tuberculosis that still can be devastating in developing countries is also a massive impact.

I think some of the reluctance to take a third dose is that expectations were so high about a return to normal after the 2nd dose and the reality hit hard that it wouldn't make Covid disappear. With new vaccine technology that introduces better immunity that lasts longer would likely have greater uptake. Expanded availability, more resistance to new variants and a different delivery mechanism can make people less reliant on the vaccine status of others.

This is how stupid things are in Alberta. Two months ago our stupid UCP puppet CMOH Deena Hinshaw advised anyone over the age of 70 & up get their 2nd, 3rd or 4th booster shot as protection was waning. I'm 66, soon to be 67 at the end of the month. Myself & others have been waiting to be eligible for a booster but crickets from Hinshaw. She never talks about it whenever she now decides to have a news conference. It seems Monkeypox is the new Covid taking up her time. 

The stupidity is my wife & I will be in Winnipeg next week for a family funeral & I booked us in to get our Pfizer booster shots at a Shoppers in Charleswood Tuesday night. Y'all may hate Heather Stephanson as your Premier but your Conservatives in Mainitoba have nothing over the Yahoos & assclowns running Alberta. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That and it doesn't have to be a competition for worst provincial gov't, anyway. I'd rather get flicked in the berries than kicked in the berries, but I'd prefer neither ideally.

Our provincial government has consistently relied on comparing themselves to Alberta and to a lesser extent SK to defend against criticisms, especially in response to Covid. They are more than thankful for the low bar being set and I've heard supporters echoing basically the same thing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-end-vax-mandates-1.6487585

The federal government is set to announce Tuesday an end to the COVID-19 vaccine mandates for domestic travel on planes and trains, as well as outbound international travel, CBC News has learned.

The government may reinstate the vaccine requirement if there's a new variant of the virus, according to sources with direct knowledge of the decision who spoke with CBC News on condition they not be named.

The vaccine mandates for travel have been in effect since Oct. 30, 2021. As the mandate was phased in, travellers had a one-month grace period where they could instead provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

The government has been under pressure from the opposition parties, as well as industry organizations, to relax some public health measures in response to delays and long lineups at airports.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

really on the same day they announce that Trudeau tested positive again? Covid isn't over

It's never going to be over. 

If you know anyone who is unvaxxed and has crossed the border recently - some border crossings turn them back, others let them cross

There is no consistency - what happens at Emerson doesn't happen at Boissevain or Bottineau. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-response-covid-pandemic-cmaj-1.6502648

Canada handled the first two years of the COVID-19 pandemic and weathered the ensuing upheaval better than several other nations with comparable health-care and economic infrastructure, a new study suggests.

The research, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal on Monday, credits Canada's strong performance to restrictive and persistent public health measures as well as a successful vaccination campaign.

A team of Ontario researchers compared data from February 2020 to February 2022 in 11 countries dubbed the G10 due to the late inclusion of one subject. They analyzed data from Canada, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States — all countries with similar political, economic, and health-care systems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-06-10 at 2:31 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is how stupid things are in Alberta. Two months ago our stupid UCP puppet CMOH Deena Hinshaw advised anyone over the age of 70 & up get their 2nd, 3rd or 4th booster shot as protection was waning. 

Least you've heard of Hinshaw 2 months ago. Roussin disappeared here.