Covid-19

JCon

47 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Its  a darned good thing that our beloved provincial government has assured us that the pandemic is over and we can ease up on restrictions.

To be fair, that isn't 66 from this week alone, but rather 16 from this past week. The huge number is an increase from numbers underreported before. Of course the province also tampers with definitions of Covid infections/deaths to make things fit the message that Covid is over.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Its  a darned good thing that our beloved provincial government has assured us that the pandemic is over and we can ease up on restrictions.

Restrictions are alive and well at the Canada / U.S. border - depending on who's on duty that day. 

https://publishing.aip.org/publications/latest-content/covid-19-superspreader-events-originate-from-small-number-of-carriers/

WASHINGTON, May 31, 2022 – Among several infectious disease terms to enter the public lexicon, superspreading events continue to make headlines years after the first cases of the COVID-19 pandemic. How features of the SARS-CoV2 virus lead to some events becoming superspreading events while leaving others relatively benign remains unresolved.

In Physics of Fluids, by AIP Publishing, researchers in Canada and the United States created a model to connect what biologists have learned about COVID-19 superspreading with how such events have occurred in the real world. They use real-world occupancy data from more than 100,000 places where people gather across 10 U.S. cities to test several features ranging from viral loads to the occupancy and ventilation of social contact settings.

They found that 80% of infections occurring at superspreading events arose from only 4% of those who were carrying the virus into the event, called index cases.

A new COVID vaccine is coming. Will it sway anti-vaxxers?

Anew COVID-19 vaccine could soon be available to Americans this summer — and the familiar protein technology used to make it may make the vaccine more palatable to those who were wary of mRNA vaccines, experts believe. 

On Tuesday, the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) advisory committee will meet to review Novavax's submission for its vaccine, dubbed NVX-CoV2373. If endorsed by the committee, the FDA will likely authorize the shot for adults 18 and over. The move would mark the fourth vaccine to be approved for emergency use authorization in the United States.

Notably, the anticipated approval would make it the first new vaccine to be approved in over a year in the U.S. — and at a time when more transmissible variants of SARS-CoV-2 have become the dominant strains in the United States, which the original vaccines weren't designed to target. The Novavax vaccine is already approved in the European Union, Canada, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia.

Given that the original strain of COVID-19 has died out, having been superseded by newer, more virulent variants, the announcement of a new vaccine designed to fight the ancestral strain of SARS-CoV-2 might seem odd. Yet experts tell Salon that the Novavax vaccine is particularly exciting given that it may be attractive to people who hesitated to get the mRNA vaccines (which includes Moderna and Pfizer's shots) due to misinformation and fear. As of June 6, 2022, an estimated 66.7 percent of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); that includes 76 percent of adults over the age of 18.

"Unfortunately, some of the other vaccines have gotten maligned by the anti-vaccine movement because they're not protein-based," Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center, told Salon. "This is a protein vaccine, it's very similar to other vaccines that people routinely get, so maybe those individuals who have been unfortunately swayed by the misinformation about the other vaccines may find this one more suitable." Adalja added that even though this vaccine is "more traditional," it is also innovative in its own way.

https://www.salon.com/2022/06/06/a-fourth-vaccine-from-novavax-vaccine-is-coming-soon-will-it-sway-anti-vaxxers/

No. It won't sway anyone

Certain people are just stuck in their ways and nothing will change that. 

I feel If social media didn't exist, the pandemic likely is over already but it does and there's just to many stupid people who believe other stupid people. I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet mentality is real  

Edited by Goalie

Oh everyone can be a wing nut 

At times i am. 

What I'm really saying is... it don't matter what you tell certain people, they are stuck in their ways whether they are 18 or 99. Those of us who have been vaxxed and those who aren't aren't gonna change our minds.  I have 2 Moderna doses. I'm seeing some have 4, I'm not sure that's necessary.  (Wingnut) 

My parents have 3, probably 4 soon maybe who knows. Is it necessary for the under 55 crowd to get 4? 

Edited by Goalie

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This is flat out incorrect. 

By Canada I mean, of the ppl I know who aren't vaxxed,  most are under 30. I dont know mom and dad tho so, you know maybe thats a factor there. Ok so its like 10 ppl, but in my experiences. 

Just saying. Exaggerating the truth is Politics. I made it fit my narrative by skewing the fact. My bad. Vote @Goaliefor mayor 

Edited by Goalie

23 hours ago, Goalie said:

The worst thing to happen was the US made the rona political. In turn we did here also cuz we have a group of wing nuts who like to think we are the US. The moment that happened we were all screwed. 

A virus isn't political. A virus has nothing to do with religion , the Bible or Jesus, left , right or anything else people made up.  It both shocked and pissed me off how stupid some people were.