Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Soooo....the stupidity stops at the BC- Alberta border. At least for now.

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

Have a feeling that the vaccine card status will be a thing of the past by early March if not sooner

To be fair, if the definition of fully vaccinated doesn't change to two doses plus booster... then the vaccine card means nothing... 13% efficacy is statistically nil in epidemiology, which completely nullifies the use of vax cards.

11 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

To be fair, if the definition of fully vaccinated doesn't change to two doses plus booster... then the vaccine card means nothing... 13% efficacy is statistically nil in epidemiology, which completely nullifies the use of vax cards.

Unfortunately I think this trucker protest would make just about any government really hesitant to update definitions of fully vaccinated, despite it making medical sense with Omicron and potentially a new shot from Pfizer specifically targeting the Omicron variant.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't think it should necessarily be more than 2 doses, more like a 2nd or 3rd dose within the last x months.  We know that the efficacy of the 2nd dose is good for the first bit but it wanes over time, so fully vaxed would depend on how recently you've been shot.

There is a BS article being spread by the anti-vaxxers. It claims that a prestigious university (Johns Hopkins) had found proof that  restrictions in movements had any benefit:

A Working Paper, Not Peer-Reviewed Published Study

The first thing we noticed when we examined the actual study, not the media reports covering the study, was that this was a “working paper” by a group of economists, not epidemiologists. A working paper typically refers to a pre-publication study that has not yet undergone a scientific peer-review process. The authors state as much in a brief description at the top of the study:

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

There is a BS article being spread by the anti-vaxxers. It claims that a prestigious university (Johns Hopkins) had found proof that  restrictions in movements had any benefit:

A Working Paper, Not Peer-Reviewed Published Study

The first thing we noticed when we examined the actual study, not the media reports covering the study, was that this was a “working paper” by a group of economists, not epidemiologists. A working paper typically refers to a pre-publication study that has not yet undergone a scientific peer-review process. The authors state as much in a brief description at the top of the study:

Yeah, I posted a twitter thread takedown of the study, earlier this week:

Solid read

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/judge-tosses-lawsuit-against-province-1.6346812

A New Brunswick judge has thrown out a lawsuit against the province over its COVID-19 vaccination policy for employees. 

Justice Thomas Christie of the Court of Queen's Bench said the four applicants were not being forced to do anything, as they had argued. 

"In what can only be described as a rambling eight pages of stated 'grounds' in the Application, counsel cast the underlying claim as if the Applicants are being forced to do something against their will," Christie wrote in his decision, released on Thursday.

"They are not," he stated. 

Christie also noted some "peculiarities" with the argument made by the applicants, who were represented by James Kitchen, Andrew Clark and Caitlin Green.

"The Applicants claim their bodily integrity is at stake, comparing themselves to victims of some of the most brutal of crimes. They go further and compare themselves with those who have been held against their will as slaves. Such comparisons are not statements that identify any legal grounds upon which they could properly rely."

Arguments like those, he said, do not belong in a notice of application, "and, frankly, could undermine whatever legitimate issues may be otherwise hidden within such argumentative pleadings." 

On Oct. 5, Premier Blaine Higgs announced that all provincial government employees in the civil service, the education system, the health-care system and Crown corporations, as well as staff in long-term care facilities, schools and licensed early learning and child-care facilities must be fully vaccinated by Nov. 19.

Those who didn't meet the deadline, roughly 2,000 workers, were put on unpaid leave. 

The lawsuit was filed in November by four government employees — a teacher, a nurse, a health network administration assistant and an educational support teacher — who were all on unpaid leave. They claimed the province's requirement for all employees to be vaccinated was unconstitutional.

Ya love to see it! It's so, so nice to see these covidiots get a dose of reality and that they have no legal ground on which to stand with their feeble arguments dripping with ignorance and entitlement.

This sets a really good precedent going forward, IMO.

sofa king ridiculous.... Omicron still raging, Long-Covid still very much a thing, even for people who had mild initial symptoms........potential for more variants down the road. Just ******* ridiculous. I don't want any part of any of it. 

Oh, well, I guess it's over. Magically disappears. 

Obviously, can't go out to eat any longer. Was already sketchy but this puts it out of reach. 

No one cares about the hospitals. 

I know that this gov't has been blocking the Crown attoneys from going after scofflaws like Monstrosity Burger.  

Edited by JCon

My mini rant/opinions:

I've known 5 different sets of people who were double/triple vaxxed and were very cautious and still somehow ended up with COVID.  All recovered fine and moved on with life.  

This isn't about truckers or nazi or whatever weird comments were above. 

It's so easy for people to throw stones and say stay at home for another 2 years and do what's right when they have cushy jobs that allow them to stay at home and live that life.     

I feel mostly sorry for the folks who have lost their jobs and the other ones struggling to get by because hours have been slashed,  I've lived pay cheque to pay cheque back when I was young and believe me it was stressful,  I couldn't imagine doing the same now with a house/wife/kids now to deal with.

I feel for those who have suffered mental health issues (kids and adults) for being isolated and just because you can be alone in a house for weeks on end,  not everyone is constructed the same way and some are dealing with massive mental health issues.  

Some people live in distorted reality in which money can be printed and given out with no consequences,  this isn't the reality of the world.   At some point the world needs to move on.  

People **** on certain political parties,  sure the NDP talks a big game now but if they were in charge and facing the kind of pressures that the Liberals/PC currently are they most definitely would be doing the same thing.  It's easy to talk big when you don't have the consequences to deal with.  Maybe look around the world and see what other countries are doing,  most are moving on with life.

I think the people complaining simply are entitled and live in a bubble / safe space and think that they deserve to be living in a Utopian society where we can't possibly have to live in a world that faces adversity. 

I agree that the current situation with ICU and our whole medical system is not where it should be.  Things should of been changed and if not should be in the process of changing on a Federal and Provincial level.

However the reality is that this requires a tonne of money so you have these options:

1 - Eliminate free medical care and go fully private  

2 - Increase taxes heavily to off set costs.

3 - Roll with what we have in which we don't increase taxes heavily to off set costs and just deal with poor services. 

4 - Do not increase taxes and create a massive debt for future generations to deal with

If you are scared to go out,  then be thankful that in todays world you could order basically anything you want online both groceries and products and that you have that option of staying home and staying safe.   You are allowed to wear a mask in public even after the mandate has ended.  

Maybe reflect and instead of focusing on the 0.005% trouble markers in protests  and maybe your own beliefs as well... maybe consider the 99.9% of the poputation of the country who may think differently.   The vast majority of the population support moving on.   

This is coming from a white guy with lots of money who works out of home and has no financial issues and loves to stay at home and play video games and not go out.  If someone like me can not think selflishly for himself then surely the naysayers can as well.

Just my opinions,