Covid-19

JCon

1 minute ago, iHeart said:

Well now I have to share news that I was hoping I would never have to share during the pandemic, but sadly I have to, My Uncle Harold, who had been suffering from COPD and most recently COVID has passed away. What's worse is the funeral planning might be complicated considering that my dad is the 4th of 12 siblings (one uncle already deceased from cancer 16 years ago) so chances are if somethin does get planned I'll likely be watching it virtually. I've had enough of this virus.

I'm sorry for your loss, iHeart. 

52 minutes ago, the watcher said:

All I can picture is a bunch of idiots sitting around a table with a discussion like this :

Idiot 1 - " We can make these punters do anything we want." 

Other idiots -  "Well, almost anything."

Idiot 1 - "Anything ! Watch this , I can make them drink their own piss "

Everyone laughs

Honestly we really are better off if Covid culls the herd a bit. Unfortunately many responsible intelligent others suffer as well.

My sympathy and anger is reserved for the dependent children and adults in the care of these idiots.  On CBC news last night, there was an article about a world-class immunologists who had been convinced to come to Canada to help out with the pandemic. Since her arrival was announced in Ottawa a few months ago, she has been the target of ugly insults and veiled threats. Just sad.

This New Tool Predicts COVID Survival From a Blood Sample

As the Omicron variant rages across the U.S. and the rest of the globe, we’re seeing hospitals everywhere maxing out their capacity to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients—not all of whom have an obvious risk factor. In the ICU, it’s often difficult to determine who might survive and beat the infection, and who might end up succumbing to the disease.

That could change very soon thanks to a new AI tool that can predict the survival outcome of severe cases of COVID weeks in advance—all from a single blood sample. The new model, described in a peer-reviewed paper published in PLOS Digital Health on Tuesday, could help doctors make more informed treatment plans for COVID patients during initial hospitalization, to minimize the odds of mortality and improve patient care down the road.

“The clinical picture of COVID-19 is exceptionally diverse, ranging from asymptomatic infection to very severe disease and death,” Florian Kurth, a clinical researcher at Charity-University Medicine in Berlin and a lead author of the new study, said in a statement. “For physicians, it is difficult to estimate the individual risk for a patient of deterioration and/or death from COVID-19.” The new AI model “can fairly well predict the probability that an individual patient will die or survive COVID-19.”

The new study can be split into two parts. First, the researchers studied hundreds of blood samples from 50 critically ill COVID patients treated in Germany and Austria, to learn how the levels of 321 different proteins changed over the course of infection. All patients were in intensive care, requiring ventilation and additional organ replacement therapy. Fifteen patients died and 35 survived.

The researchers learned that there were 14 proteins that were most strongly associated with either COVID survival or death, and that these protein levels were altered early by the disease. The most important were proteins involved in blood coagulation and antibody function.

In the second part, the new AI model was built and trained to make prognoses of COVID patients based on the levels of these 14 proteins in a single blood sample. Kurth and his colleagues tested this model on samples from a new cohort of 24 critically ill patients. Of that cohort, 19 patients survived and five died—and the model was able to accurately predict the outcomes for all but one of these patients. These prognoses were “far better” than ones used in current clinical care risk assessments, said Kurth.

The current study is based on an extremely small sample size, so the authors want to run the model through much wider testing to prove it could be a valuable predictor of COVID-19 outcomes in real-world hospital settings.

AI Machine Learning Tool Predicts COVID-19 Survival From Blood Sample From Critically Ill Patients (thedailybeast.com)

6 hours ago, iHeart said:

Well now I have to share news that I was hoping I would never have to share during the pandemic, but sadly I have to, My Uncle Harold, who had been suffering from COPD and most recently COVID has passed away. What's worse is the funeral planning might be complicated considering that my dad is the 4th of 12 siblings (one uncle already deceased from cancer 16 years ago) so chances are if somethin does get planned I'll likely be watching it virtually. I've had enough of this virus.

My condolences to you and your family.  I can unfortunately relate... my brother passed away on Sunday (some may remember him from here & the old OB forum as Taynted_Fayth) so we're also trying to figure out how to hold a service.  Not the easiest thing to do at the best of times.

On 2022-01-14 at 2:40 PM, WildPath said:

A local lockdown or increase of restrictions could help ease the capacity on the healthcare system. This was the same goal with the original - bending the curve. It is not just about what happens when an individual gets sick with Covid, but what healthcare is available to anyone who needs it, even with non-Covid conditions. As Mark F posted above, many procedures are being delayed and this has directly led to the death of non-Covid patients. With the province basically waving the white flag, that has signaled to all Manitobans that the time for restrictions has passed. Unfortunately everyone going about their business as normal is already causing hospitals to push capacity limits when other healthcare services are running in standby mode to deal with Covid surges. We don't have the ability to 'flex' to increase Covid capacity any more than we currently have.

If we have decided to basically live as normal (besides that being a decision to basically disregard health outcomes for vulnerable individuals), it has to be paired with a healthcare plan to decide who does not receive care when the system is at capacity.

Look at all the places with heavy restrictions currently. Quebec, Ontario, BC and they are still having similar cases, hospitalizations and ICU per 100k as Manitoba. With this variant restrictions have not been effective. It is not the province signally they are giving up but that they have pivoted to a new strategy. While I completely agree that Canadian Healthcare is not designed with the preparation for pandemic or emergency surge. The issue in Canada is not easily fixed because it is not the space or lack of equipment that is holding hospitals from expanding. It is the lack of trained professionals available, this is compounded by the US targeting our staff with signing bonuses, guaranteed sale assistance and increased salaries. 

As for the assumption they are disregarding health outcomes, I beg to differ but it is more they are trying something different based of what has happened elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

My condolences to you and your family.  I can unfortunately relate... my brother passed away on Sunday (some may remember him from here & the old OB forum as Taynted_Fayth) so we're also trying to figure out how to hold a service.  Not the easiest thing to do at the best of times.

Really sorry dude... I totally remember TF. 

7 minutes ago, Engelwood said:

Look at all the places with heavy restrictions currently. Quebec, Ontario, BC and they are still having similar cases, hospitalizations and ICU per 100k as Manitoba. With this variant restrictions have not been effective. It is not the province signally they are giving up but that they have pivoted to a new strategy. While I completely agree that Canadian Healthcare is not designed with the preparation for pandemic or emergency surge. The issue in Canada is not easily fixed because it is not the space or lack of equipment that is holding hospitals from expanding. It is the lack of trained professionals available, this is compounded by the US targeting our staff with signing bonuses, guaranteed sale assistance and increased salaries. 

As for the assumption they are disregarding health outcomes, I beg to differ but it is more they are trying something different based of what has happened elsewhere. 

Out of respect to the posters above I will wait until tomorrow to respond to this. Sorry for both of your losses.

I've been a lurker here and on OB for a long time. Definitely remember and appreciated TF.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Very sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family. 

8 hours ago, bustamente said:

Sounds like many Covid positive unvaccinated dummies are calling health professionals looking for the drug that treats Covid made by Pfizer, but they don't want the vaccine made by Pfizer, truly they are the dumbest people on the planet 

Then there’s non Covid unvaccinated dummies who are flooding the internet with really really dumb anti-science ‘I told you so’ comments because vaccinated people are testing positive.

Sigh. 

30 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

this ******* place...have been there a few times (it's at the south end of Red Deer...we've eaten there when we go to RD to shop)...it's just completely typical of rural AB, of which RD is very much a part. It's sickening. Maybe not quite as bad as MB bible belt, but it's close...

17 hours ago, Engelwood said:

Doctor's Manitoba and most health officials would disagree with you. To think that reducing the amount of high risk situations (bars, etc) being unable to have an impact on Omicron spread is interesting and would be contrary to anything our government has said, including the most recent press conference. The difference is they've tried to wash their hands of responsibility and tell Manitobans they need to protect themselves.

Stefanson all but confirmed in her last press conference that she has overruled public health recommendations in consulting with the business community and others. She's also repeatedly claimed we have the strongest restrictions in the country which is just absolutely false.

Let's ignore that restrictions have a delay in bringing down case numbers, hospitalizations, etc... You can't compare case counts anywhere right now as there is no accuracy when testing capacity is exhausted. Let's say that I concede that they current case counts are accurate, using the three examples you gave (QC, ON, BC) - We have significantly higher case counts per 100k people than both ON and BC that have more stringent restrictions than us. QC is the only one you noted that is slightly ahead of us.

I think a more measurable and important metric is hospitalizations (especially when testing numbers mean little). We are the worst, yet again, in Canada. We have more hospitalizations than QC, almost twice the hospitalizations as ON and almost three times the hospitalizations as BC. We are very close to pushing ICU capacity limits. Southern health was reported to be lagging in Omicron as the primary variant, but news today is that it is starting to breakout there. There are many other provinces in far better shape than even BC.

** These statistics were accurate as of yesterday when I typed this originally. We have announced 12 more deaths today and 19 additional in hospitalization, so I'm assuming the statistics would reflect even more poorly on how Manitoba compares to the rest of Canada. **

The news article below references some of the stats from above along and provides illuminating commentary from a critical care physician.

‘We will get through this,’ premier says amid Omicron pressure, climbing hospitalizations - Winnipeg Free Press

"COVID triaging — that’s the only thing we’re not doing. We’re triaging every other aspect of health care," the doctor said. "Our health-care system unequivocally is failing many people and, unequivocally, I think is an embarrassment to Manitoba."

Edited by WildPath

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

this ******* place...have been there a few times (it's at the south end of Red Deer...we've eaten there when we go to RD to shop)...it's just completely typical of rural AB, of which RD is very much a part. It's sickening. Maybe not quite as bad as MB bible belt, but it's close...

The owners put the blame on an underage hostess for this too. What a couple real winners.

Florida suspends top health official after he encouraged staff to get vaccinated. “I have a hard time understanding how we can be in public health and not practice it," Dr. Raul Pino wrote to staff

A top Florida Department of Health official was suspended after he encouraged his staff to get vaccinated. 

The development, first reported by local ABC News affiliate  WFTV, centers on Dr. Raul Pino, director of the Florida Department of Health in Orange County. On January 4, Pino reportedly wrote an email to members of his staff expressing frustration around their apparent unwillingness to be immunized against COVID-19. Out of the agency's 568 staffers, Pino wrote, 219 had gotten two vaccine doses while only 77 had received a booster shot.

"I am sorry but in the absence of reasonable and real reasons it is irresponsible not to be vaccinated," Pino said in his email, adding: "I have a hard time understanding how we can be in public health and not practice it."

Florida Department of Health press secretary Jeremy Redfern told the Associated Press that the agency is now conducting a probe "to determine if any laws were broken" as a result of the email. In Florida, local public health offices, like Pino's, are centrally run by the state Department of Health. 

Florida suspends top health official after he encouraged staff to get vaccinated | Salon.com

Ron DeSantis Opens Antibody Centers That Are Useless Against Omicron.  The Florida governor is flogging monoclonals that experts say are no match for Omicron.

If Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis were a responsible leader dedicated to the well-being of his constituents, he would have made clear that the Regeneron monoclonal antibody being administered at his five new treatment sites is all but useless in the current COVID-19 surge.

But DeSantis is DeSantis, and therefore his own top priority. He is happy to offer false hope in the middle of a pandemic—as his state breaks infection records week after week—if he believes it is to his political advantage.

Last month, DeSantis held a press conference outside Ocala Medical Center with a sign reading “Early Treatment Saves Lives” and touted monoclonal antibodies as the answer to the COVID crisis. His surgeon general, Joe Ladapo, described vaccines, masks, and testing as a “trifecta” of “lunacy.”

Omicron had already begun to spread in Florida and elsewhere, so quickly that it was soon responsible for the overwhelming majority of new cases. The federal government stopped distributing two of the three mjaor monoclonal antibody treatments—Regeneron and Bamlanivimab—on the grounds they were ineffective against the new variants. The third treatment, Sotrovimab, remains in such short supply it is reserved for only the most vulnerable people.

DeSantis accused the Biden administration of falling victim to “hysteria.” Lapado made public a letter he wrote to Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra saying, “The federal government is is actively preventing the effective distribution of antibody treatments in the U.S.” Never mind that it was because the treatments themselves are ineffective.

On Jan. 3, DeSantis tweeted a video of himself standing with the “Early Treatment Saves Lives” sign outside at Broward Health.

“Instead of keeping a stranglehold on monoclonal antibodies, the federal government must release its stockpiles to states who want them and allow states to purchase these medications directly,” he said.

On Jan. 4, he posted a video of himself with the well-traveled sign in Jacksonville.

“Governor DeSantis is in Jacksonville ready to open a monoclonal antibody treatment site IF the federal government would provide the supply Florida needs,” he declared. On Jan. 5, he insisted, “With Omicron, there’s not enough evidence to say that Regeneron and the bamlanivimab work. There’s not enough evidence to say if it’s going to be as effective or more against Delta, we just don’t know.”

In fact, there was already considerable evidence to the contrary. Prominent medical experts were reaching a consensus that Regeneron and Bamlanivimab do not work against Omicron.

“It’s equivalent to giving them a placebo,” Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, director of Infectious Disease at University of Alabama Medicine, told the Daily Beast. “We just assume there’s not going to be any benefit to using them.”

But on Jan. 7, the Biden administration caved. DeSantis reported that Florida had secured 15,000 doses of Regeneron. He announced that they would be distributed at five new sites.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Opens Monoclonal Antibody Centers That Are Useless Against Omicron (thedailybeast.com)

Trump’s Favorite ‘Demon Sperm’ Doc Now Suggests Praying the COVID Vax Away

Stella Immanuel, the eccentric “demon sperm” doctor who was embraced and defended by ex-president Donald Trump for her evidence-free claims about curing COVID-19 with hydroxychloroquine, is back with another outlandish claim. This time, at a right-wing gathering over the weekend, Immanuel theorized that one can pray away the effects of the COVID-19 vaccination. “Every time we have prayed for people that have taken the vaccine because it is Luciferian,” she said at megachurch pastor Clay Clark’s ReAwaken America Tour stop in Arizona. “And the mention of the name of Jesus, every knee bows.” Immanuel further floated the idea of prayer reversing the effects of a vaccine merely with the utterance of Jesus’ name. “Each time we pray for people that have taken the vax, something, there is a reaction. A needle poke, the hands start shaking, and we cast this stuff out of people,” the Houston-based pediatrician added, while implying that the vaccine is the “devil” which one “must come at” with “the name of Jesus.”

Trump’s Favorite ‘Demon Sperm’ Doc Now Suggests Praying the COVID Vax Away (thedailybeast.com)