Covid-19

JCon

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

I have IBS.. the Mary Jane eases the pain I have most days. It's a prick disease cuz it depends on what I eat really.  The weed makes the pain go away so I believe it has healing powers 

I have IBS as well. I get terrible gas & bloating at times. Like you say, it all depends what you eat & how much. I can go from constipation to diarrhea in the same day in a matter of hours. There have been lots of times in the past when we were supposed to go somewhere as a family & I would take my time making us late because I felt ill or "off".

I was diagnosed with a nervous stomach in Grade 10 (71-72) & had to deal with failing French & Math that year. I remember puking before every French class. I never heard of IBS until I was in my 30's. I do suffer from stress, depression & anxiety. Some days I feel like I can't leave the house as something BAD will happen. Like dying. This all started that horrible year in HS & have just powered thru it since. I remember that I was a happy go lucky & easy going teen until that **** all went down back then. I became a "too serious, the sky is falling in"person after so it really was a life changer. Never recovered emotionally from a teacher who used to single me out while knowing I was absolutely lost in class & being called "tres stupide" by her in front of 30 students.  Weed would never work for me as I don't want to use it. I'm retired now so my stress & worry is greatly reduced. 

Unhinged Candace Owens Pushes Vaccine Conspiracy About Bob Saget’s Death

Far-right troll Candace Owens baselessly suggested on Tuesday that beloved comedian Bob Saget may have suddenly died last week because he was vaccinated against COVID-19, adding that she has “a right to ask the question.”

Saget, best known for his lead role on Full House, was found dead last week in an Orlando hotel room. Local authorities have said they “found no signs of foul play or drug use in this case,” and that the 65-year-old actor appeared to have died in his sleep. As of now, the cause of death is still unknown, and results from a final autopsy could take three months.

Nevertheless, as one of conservative media’s loudest anti-vaxxers, Owens decided to use Saget’s tragic death to yet again peddle conspiracy theories about the coronavirus vaccines, which have been proven to be overwhelmingly safe and effective.

During the Tuesday night broadcast of her self-titled online talk show, in a segment first flagged by Media Matters, Owens rhetorically asked whether she was a “conspiracy theorist” or “Nostradamus” when it came to denouncing vaccines as dangerous and ineffective. (Candace is produced and published by The Daily Wire, the Ben Shapiro-centric outlet founded by Ben Shapiro.)

“The answer is neither,” she exclaimed. “I’m just not on Big Pharma’s payroll and I refuse to peddle in their lies. And so to that end, today, I’m going to point out another truth and it will likely be deemed a conspiracy theory until it’s not.”

From there she immediately tied Saget’s death to the fact that he was vaccinated and had received his booster shot.

“There are too many healthy individuals, like Bob Saget, who we know have received their vaccinations, who are dropping dead, suddenly and unexpectedly with no further explanation,” Owens proclaimed. “Healthy athletes, young students in their physical prime—the majority of them males—dropping dead suddenly and unexpectedly in the middle of games from heart issues. What we know for a fact is that these people are being mandated to take the vaccine.”

Candace Owens Pushes Unhinged Vax Conspiracy About Bob Saget’s Death (thedailybeast.com)

21 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

no. It wouldn't. The issue isn't with the study. They're reporting what they found. The issue is the articles leaving out important information...like good luck finding CBDA or CBGA and the amount you would need to consume (Not smoke fyi) would be so high that it makes the finding basically irrelevant. 

It's a start though. The study was done in the states, so it's not surprising they focused on those two cannabinoids as it's very hard to study THC etc down south due to it's federal standing.

But yeah the chemist I spoke with said these results wouldn't be news worthy if it was anything other than cannabis...which is why this is all for them CLICKS!

so no credentials analyzing chemical compound studies and their results? Sorry I just don't see how your credentials apply in this case?

Also I'm even more surprised about you comment on Lawlers use (and seemingly lack of knowledge of how wide spread cannabis use is in our society) given your credentials.

Could cannabis prevent COVID? To the authors of a new study, it sure looks like it.  But put away the pipe — it appears the compounds that may be most helpful in preventing COVID degrade at high temps

A groundbreaking new study published this week identified what could be an unexpected tool in the world's fight against COVID-19: cannabis.

Yes, you read that right.

According to a peer-reviewed paper published this week in the Journal of Natural Products, titled "Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants," at least three compounds naturally occurring in the cannabis plant were shown in lab tests to be effective at stopping coronavirus molecules from entering human cells. The mechanism effectively mimics the activity of antibodies, with the cannabis compounds attaching themselves to the virus' spike protein, one of the authors told Salon. The study concludes:

With widespread use of cannabinoids, resistant variants could still arise, but the combination of vaccination and CBDA/CBGA treatment should create a more challenging environment with which SARS-CoV-2 must contend, reducing the likelihood of escape.

In case any of that is confusing, the authors also included in the paper a handy illustration of the phenomenon:

The findings have gone viral, so to speak, trending on Twitter and inspiring much speculation online under the hashtag "#WeedPreventsCOVID." But don't reach for that joint just yet — the compounds, CBD-A, CBG-A, and THC-A, are non-psychoactive and degrade at high temperatures, which makes smoking or baking less-than-ideal ways to consume them. Pills or gummies are better, not to mention concentrates that have been designed to maximize the content of these specific substances.

Beyond that, the entire premise must undergo a series of clinical trials before researchers will say for sure whether it works in real life the way it does in the controlled conditions of a lab. Still, Dr. Richard van Breemen, one of the study's authors and a professor of medicinal chemistry at Oregon State University, says the results are "incredibly promising." 

"This is by far the biggest response to a study that I've encountered in my career," Dr. Van Breemen told Salon.

"A number of hemp dietary supplements containing these compounds are available over-the-counter all over the country," he added, meaning if the findings were carried over into successful clinical trials, the preventative treatment would immediately be accessible by millions of Americans. 

Could cannabis prevent COVID? To the authors of a new study, it sure looks like it | Salon.com

On 2022-01-10 at 8:15 PM, GCJenks said:

Anyone else here the latest out of Quebec?

soon you will need proof of vaccinations to be able enter a liquor or cannabis store. First dose rates were up 6 fold in the days after this was proclaimed. It’s somewhat surprising as you can buy beer, wine and canned cocktails just about anywhere but it seems to have had an effect. 

It has been that way in Saskatchewan since we brought in Vaccine restrictions. A couple liquor stores and most of the Cannabis stores are doing curbside pickup though. 

What are more restrictions or lockdowns going to actually do right now. The answer is not a whole lot, look at Quebec, curfews, lockdowns, etc and still the numbers are through the roof. This is the one that we are going to have to ride out, it will make some of the idiots in Southern region really sick, some other of us will have a crappy couple days(I know I just went through my crappy 4 days but was vaccinated). Omicron is going to burn through the population base and fizzle out. The only lockdown that would be at all effective would be the ability to lock down the entire world for 3 weeks. But that is not an option as we would still need the essential workers to keep going. 

time to put an end to the stupidity.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-with-stage-4-colon-cancer-has-life-saving-surgery-postponed-indefinitely-1.573911

30-year-old Ontario woman diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer has had her surgery postponed indefinitely and says it could be too late to save her if the procedure keeps getting pushed back.

In an e-mail viewed by CTV News Toronto, a representative from Mount Sinai Hospital told Di Maria her surgery was cancelled because of "the situation with COVID-19" and that "everything is getting cancelled at this point."

not vaccinated? go to the end of the line.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

time to put an end to the stupidity.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-with-stage-4-colon-cancer-has-life-saving-surgery-postponed-indefinitely-1.573911

30-year-old Ontario woman diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer has had her surgery postponed indefinitely and says it could be too late to save her if the procedure keeps getting pushed back.

In an e-mail viewed by CTV News Toronto, a representative from Mount Sinai Hospital told Di Maria her surgery was cancelled because of "the situation with COVID-19" and that "everything is getting cancelled at this point."

not vaccinated? go to the end of the line.

And get your Debit/Visa card out, you’re going to need it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/homeless-paid-to-take-covid-vaccines-1.6314695

Homeless and vulnerable people in British Columbia and Alberta have been approached with offers of payment to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by those attempting to fraudulently get a vaccine card.

The covidiots going to these lengths to avoid a safe, effective vaccine are some of the scummiest plugs on the planet.

16 hours ago, Engelwood said:

What are more restrictions or lockdowns going to actually do right now. The answer is not a whole lot, look at Quebec, curfews, lockdowns, etc and still the numbers are through the roof. This is the one that we are going to have to ride out, it will make some of the idiots in Southern region really sick, some other of us will have a crappy couple days(I know I just went through my crappy 4 days but was vaccinated). Omicron is going to burn through the population base and fizzle out. The only lockdown that would be at all effective would be the ability to lock down the entire world for 3 weeks. But that is not an option as we would still need the essential workers to keep going. 

A local lockdown or increase of restrictions could help ease the capacity on the healthcare system. This was the same goal with the original - bending the curve. It is not just about what happens when an individual gets sick with Covid, but what healthcare is available to anyone who needs it, even with non-Covid conditions. As Mark F posted above, many procedures are being delayed and this has directly led to the death of non-Covid patients. With the province basically waving the white flag, that has signaled to all Manitobans that the time for restrictions has passed. Unfortunately everyone going about their business as normal is already causing hospitals to push capacity limits when other healthcare services are running in standby mode to deal with Covid surges. We don't have the ability to 'flex' to increase Covid capacity any more than we currently have.

If we have decided to basically live as normal (besides that being a decision to basically disregard health outcomes for vulnerable individuals), it has to be paired with a healthcare plan to decide who does not receive care when the system is at capacity.

19 hours ago, WildPath said:

If we have decided to basically live as normal (besides that being a decision to basically disregard health outcomes for vulnerable individuals), it has to be paired with a healthcare plan to decide who does not receive care when the system is at capacity.

Just imagine the response - if the government were to actually announce such a plan in a press conference. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Great article on CBC about those worried about sending their kids to school Monday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-kids-faq-omicron-1.6315982

Very good article.  It is time to end remote learning for everyone except the immune compromised.

Kids who are sick should stay home for a few days, just like they have always done. 

20 hours ago, WildPath said:

Those plans are already in place and have been long before the pandemic. And like it or not, priority has always been based on acute need. This directly from my wife and others who work in health care and say it is unethical to do otherwise  

The cardiac care unit has a limited number of beds, so not everyone who needs a heart transplant can get one right away, even if a healthy heart is available. So a wait list is created, and it is based on who is in most acute need of a heart. I know a former transplant coordinator who was in charge of the wait list for the Province, and she had to make these decisions frequently, in some cases essentially deciding who lived and who died. Someone who will die in two weeks is put behind someone who will die in two days, even if the next heart is a day away and the one after that is a month away. And they won’t look at who was the heavy smoker or morbidly obese bs the one who had a congenital defect to decide who is more “worthy” of the heart. Alcoholics who destroyed their kidneys do not get put last in line for dialysis because their lifestyle choice may have contributed to an addiction. 

So as much as some see it as unfair that those who refuse the vaccination and take no personal responsibility to protect themselves and others will get the same ICU opportunity as the vaccinated, and possibly bump cancer patients as one example, this is the system that is and has always been in place. Not saying it is right or wrong, but just that this is the way it is. 

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Those plans are already in place and have been long before the pandemic. And like it or not, priority has always been based on acute need. This directly from my wife and others who work in health care and say it is unethical to do otherwise  

The cardiac care unit has a limited number of beds, so not everyone who needs a heart transplant can get one right away, even if a healthy heart is available. So a wait list is created, and it is based on who is in most acute need of a heart. I know a former transplant coordinator who was in charge of the wait list for the Province, and she had to make these decisions frequently, in some cases essentially deciding who lived and who died. Someone who will die in two weeks is put behind someone who will die in two days, even if the next heart is a day away and the one after that is a month away. And they won’t look at who was the heavy smoker or morbidly obese bs the one who had a congenital defect to decide who is more “worthy” of the heart. Alcoholics who destroyed their kidneys do not get put last in line for dialysis because their lifestyle choice may have contributed to an addiction. 

So as much as some see it as unfair that those who refuse the vaccination and take no personal responsibility to protect themselves and others will get the same ICU opportunity as the vaccinated, and possibly bump cancer patients as one example, this is the system that is and has always been in place. Not saying it is right or wrong, but just that this is the way it is. 

Yet Doctor's Manitoba has continually called on the province to develop triage protocols like other jurisdictions have done. Articles from last May, last September and yesterday. A difference between regular triage protocols and those being called for by doctors is that the system is at a continual height of sustained need that likely hasn't been seen in the past 50 years.

Physicians press for emergency order to triage rising virus caseload - Winnipeg Free Press

Advocates, ethicist renew call for triage protocols as Manitoba approaches 4th wave | CBC News

COVID-19: Manitoba doctors worried about Omicron surge in hospitals | CTV News

I am not familiar with the transplant protocols in place in Manitoba, but other jurisdictions do include Covid vaccine status in their consideration - Organ centers to transplant patients: Get a Covid vaccine or move down on waitlist (nbcnews.com).

I will honestly say that my knowledge of the transplant waitlist protocols pre-dates the pandemic or vaccine status, so it may well have changed. Historically my understanding is that acute need is the first qualifier for treatment, and not personal circumstances of self-care. Perhaps the pandemic crush and clear distinction between vaccinated and non-vaccinated as people who are ready to assist in or ignore health care directives will create a new dialogue and change the order of preferential treatment. As was mentioned before, the fear is the “slippery slope” argument. Will we then deny smokers equal access to health care when resources are stretched thin, or drug users, or drinkers, or the obese? Seemingly obvious questions but with potentially complicated answers. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Just imagine the response - if the government were to actually announce such a plan in a press conference. 

That is kind of my point. The government has adopted a policy that will in all likelihood cause these decisions to be made, but they refuse to accept or plan for this ahead of time. Its not just something that can be swept under the rug or fingers crossed that it won't happen because it doesn't sound nice.

49 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I will honestly say that my knowledge of the transplant waitlist protocols pre-dates the pandemic or vaccine status, so it may well have changed. Historically my understanding is that acute need is the first qualifier for treatment, and not personal circumstances of self-care. Perhaps the pandemic crush and clear distinction between vaccinated and non-vaccinated as people who are ready to assist in or ignore health care directives will create a new dialogue and change the order of preferential treatment. As was mentioned before, the fear is the “slippery slope” argument. Will we then deny smokers equal access to health care when resources are stretched thin, or drug users, or drinkers, or the obese? Seemingly obvious questions but with potentially complicated answers. 

Agree. I think acute need is the first factor, but I don't think it is the only factor. I did some brief digging and found this - Ethics - General Considerations in Assessment for Transplant Candidacy - OPTN (hrsa.gov). (American Document)

This is just a white paper, but it does suggest that lifestyle factors are already in consideration. This even includes incarceration status and ability to pay for treatment, again U.S. system. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just that considerations of lifestyle choices already exist in some systems. I was pretty sure alcoholism and such have already been known to factor into transplant decisions, but this is the best source I could find on a brief search. The source shown above also shows that Covid vaccine uptake is already taken into consideration in some places for transplant priority. But my point isn't about transplants at all, just that there needs to be a plan in place for the expected surge in hospitalization/ICU admission. This is something Doctors Manitoba has asked for repeatedly.