Covid-19

JCon

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

Conservative Activist Dies of COVID Complications After Attending Anti-Vax ‘Symposium’

A well-known conservative activist in Arlington, Texas, who peddled COVID-19 vaccine misinformation has died of complications caused by the virus—just a few weeks after attending a “symposium” against the shots.  Kelly Canon had celebrated her vaccine exemption a few weeks before she fell ill with the virus and wound up on a ventilator. 

The Arlington Republican Party confirmed the passing of Kelly Canon on Facebook.

“Another tragedy and loss for our Republican family. Our dear friend Kelly Canon lost her battle with pneumonia today. Kelly will be forever in our hearts as a loyal and beloved friend and Patriot. Gone way too soon We will keep her family in our prayers,” the Arlington Republican Club said in a statement.

Friends and colleagues of the Republican figure flooded social media with tributes on Tuesday, lamenting what they said was her death “from COVID-related pneumonia.”

Conservative Activist Kelly Canon Dies of COVID Complications After Attending Anti-Vaccine ‘Symposium’ (thedailybeast.com)

a shame

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajherrington/2022/01/11/study-finds-cannabis-compounds-prevent-infection-by-covid-19-virus/?sh=38c7ff5e1753

Compounds in cannabis can prevent infection from the virus that causes Covid-19 by blocking its entry into cells, according to a study published this week by researchers affiliated with Oregon State University. A report on the research, “Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants,” was published online on Monday by the Journal of Natural Products.

The researchers found that two cannabinoid acids commonly found in hemp varietals of cannabis, cannabigerolic acid, or CBGA, and cannabidiolic acid, also known as CBDA, can bind to the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. By binding to the spike protein, the compounds can prevent the virus from entering cells and causing infection, potentially offering new avenues to prevent and treat the disease.

“These cannabinoid acids are abundant in hemp and in many hemp extracts,” van Breemen said, as quoted by local media. “They are not controlled substances like THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, and have a good safety profile in humans.”

13 hours ago, WildPath said:

I'm 2/3 there. Do I get a prize? Before remote learning, I went from being a teacher to being a lawn care guy so I could keep myself and pregnant wife safe and to be able to see my parents. I've been literally on my death bed in ICU because of my condition before (when I was 24 no less), so I've been playing it pretty safe, especially since each of the 3 vax shots I've had are likely not super effective on me.

Not expecting the world to stop for people like myself, but just for people to be aware there are many people who can't "accept living with Covid" and have had really sh**y lives the past two years. When our hospitals are full and access to medical care is limited, that is the time to have restrictions that actually mean something.

Agreed that the conversation on here has been great. A lot of the drivel online is disgusting and not representative of the real population that actually has compassion and awareness.

Thanks for sharing. This must be incredibly stressful for you and your family. Don't have health problems myself, but have two kids under 5 (one born during the pandemic) and ya that 2 years have been tough. The kids are doing great, they don't know any different but my wife and I are going crazy with stress trying to manage covid risk and having to think about it for every little thing we do.

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I would find this more credible if it was not from a source that was independent and replicated.

Based on your previous comments regarding marijuana, I don't think you would. Seems to me your mind is made up,

On 2022-01-10 at 2:14 PM, Noeller said:

personal rights and freedoms go out the window when you have a public emergency such as this. When the greater good of all society is at stake, your personal rights and freedoms go away. I'm fine with that. Logistically, "mandatory" vaccines is impossible (sort of). You can't have the police going door to door and jabbing everyone. But what you do is make it impossible for someone to live their every day normal life without getting it. That is increasingly what they've been doing, and should continue to do. 

Carrots don't work.....sticks do. Time to start whompin'...

Exactly. One does not have to go all communist and dictate mandatory vaccinations. A far more effective tool is to make non vaccination so inconvenient and costly that the choice to get vaccinated becomes the obvious one.

Biggest issues my family is having navigating non-Covid healthcare right now are: 

• Every healthcare system is overwhelmed. Too few docs, nurses and techs are available for life-saving, urgent care and diagnostics. 
  • The illness presents with two Covid-related symptoms, which means that every time we access healthcare, we can't simply go for the required tests because the assumption is that Covid is present. It's necessary to protect the system and the workers but it makes everything far more complicated... 
  • So, we need to use urgent/emergency care, where they can test and get results quickly but also allows for other testing and whatnot during that process. This means we are an additional burden on the system, somewhat unnecessarily. 
  • Only the patient is allowed into the hospital/clinic, which means that support cannot be offered. 

There are some areas of healthcare that are operating as normal as possible. Thankfully, we fall into that category. But, whenever you deviate outside, which includes a big piece of our navigation, Covid is making things near impossible. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I would find this more credible if it was not from a source that was independent and replicated.

I actually agree with you on this. I came across this study and asked a few doctors/skeptics/chemists etc about it. First their dealing with CBDA and CBGA which are essentially not available to the public in anyway right now. And 2nd the dose a person would need to take/product they would need to consume makes this finding laughable (in the words of the chemist I spoke with). 

Like many studies involving cannabis, the articles written about it makes the study look like it's a miracle. But when you read the actual study and discuss it with experts it's nothing more than click bait.

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Unfortunately this study is nothing but click bait.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I actually agree with you on this. I came across this study and asked a few doctors/skeptics/chemists etc about it. First their dealing with CBDA and CBGA which are essentially not available to the public in anyway right now. And 2nd the dose a person would need to take/product they would need to consume makes this finding laughable (in the words of the chemist I spoke with). 

Like many studies involving cannabis, the articles written about it makes the study look like it's a miracle. But when you read the actual study and discuss it with experts it's nothing more than click bait.

I’ve said this at the start of this crap pandemic and still stick to it. Some headline writers and the people they work for and with should be out of jobs and be ordered to apologize for all the anxiety they’ve created. Have you no shame?

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Forbes is pay-to-place, as far as I know. I've blocked it as a feed, so that I don't accidentally click on their "articles". 

Even if one doesn’t click on the ‘article’ the headline has already done its job, ie anxiety up. Yes blocking it all together is a good strategy or staying off social media. 

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Would another link from the university that conducted the study be better?

https://today.oregonstate.edu/news/oregon-state-research-shows-hemp-compounds-prevent-coronavirus-entering-human-cells

No mention of cannabis being some miracle cure; just the pertinent information related to the study and what its findings were.

I didn't know Forbes was a questionable source, so my apologies.

8 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I’ve said this at the start of this crap pandemic and still stick to it. Some headline writers and the people they work for and with should be out of jobs and be ordered to apologize for all the anxiety they’ve created. Have you no shame?

Yeah thankfully being in the cannabis industry, specifically on the medical side has made me VERY skeptical of any studies regarding cannabis. They're often done with loads of issues...this one didn't have that. The study itself is well done and they documented their findings....but the articles written about it have been problematic to say the least.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Based on your previous comments regarding marijuana, I don't think you would. Seems to me your mind is made up,

Exactly. One does not have to go all communist and dictate mandatory vaccinations. A far more effective tool is to make non vaccination so inconvenient and costly that the choice to get vaccinated becomes the obvious one.

My credentials for my statements are: almost 30 years as an addictions counsellor and community prevention worker, a Master's degree in a related field, a certificate in Addictions Counselling from the U of M and my accreditation as a Substance Abuse Professional qualified to make legally binding assessments of military and safety-sensitive positioned people. I have other credentials as well, but this should make the point.

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Would another link from the university that conducted the study be better?

https://today.oregonstate.edu/news/oregon-state-research-shows-hemp-compounds-prevent-coronavirus-entering-human-cells

No mention of cannabis being some miracle cure; just the pertinent information related to the study and what its findings were.

I didn't know Forbes was a questionable source, so my apologies.

no. It wouldn't. The issue isn't with the study. They're reporting what they found. The issue is the articles leaving out important information...like good luck finding CBDA or CBGA and the amount you would need to consume (Not smoke fyi) would be so high that it makes the finding basically irrelevant. 

It's a start though. The study was done in the states, so it's not surprising they focused on those two cannabinoids as it's very hard to study THC etc down south due to it's federal standing.

But yeah the chemist I spoke with said these results wouldn't be news worthy if it was anything other than cannabis...which is why this is all for them CLICKS!

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

My credentials for my statements are: almost 30 years as an addictions counsellor and community prevention worker, a Master's degree in a related field, a certificate in Addictions Counselling from the U of M and my accreditation as a Substance Abuse Professional qualified to make legally binding assessments of military and safety-sensitive positioned people. I have other credentials as well, but this should make the point.

so no credentials analyzing chemical compound studies and their results? Sorry I just don't see how your credentials apply in this case?

Also I'm even more surprised about you comment on Lawlers use (and seemingly lack of knowledge of how wide spread cannabis use is in our society) given your credentials.

Edited by Bigblue204

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

no. It wouldn't. The issue isn't with the study. They're reporting what they found. The issue is the articles leaving out important information...like good luck finding CBDA or CBGA and the amount you would need to consume (Not smoke fyi) would be so high that it makes the finding basically irrelevant. 

It's a start though. The study was done in the states, so it's not surprising they focused on those two cannabinoids as it's very hard to study THC etc down south due to it's federal standing.

But yeah the chemist I spoke with said these results wouldn't be news worthy if it was anything other than cannabis...which is why this is all for them CLICKS!

so no credentials analyzing chemical compound studies and their results? Sorry I just don't see how your credentials apply in this case?

Also I'm even more surprised about you comment on Lawlers use (and seemingly lack of knowledge of how wide spread cannabis use is in our society) given your credentials.

A mandatory part of being accredited was an extensive pharmacology course with a pass mark of 90%, so what you cite and more was a part of it. THC/CBD do have their places but are not without a degree of risk. When my late wife was in her last days suffering from intractable pain from the cancer, I advocated for her to be paced on Cesamet and it worked better than the Opiods. 

29 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Hey, I'm sure you've seen the worst of the worst as an addictions counsellor. I would be jaded too if I were you.