Covid-19

JCon

I saw the numbers for you guys today. TP holding steady around 2%, hospitalizations and ICU relatively low and declining. Vaccine numbers relatively high and continuing to rise. ~85% single dose // 80% double dose. And some of you commenting earlier this week that "as long as you're vaccinated, it's basically life as normal". It makes me incredibly depressed out here in Alberta. Our vaxx rates are much lower, and obviously the daily case counts are much higher. TP ~10%. Hospitals and ICU, even with expansion have overloaded and now collapsed. Triage in effect. And people still fighting against masks and proof of vaxx. A large % of the provincial government is fighting the Premier's implementation of COVID mitigation measures and proof of vaxx. No end in sight. 

****....it is really depressing out here. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I saw the numbers for you guys today. TP holding steady around 2%, hospitalizations and ICU relatively low and declining. Vaccine numbers relatively high and continuing to rise. ~85% single dose // 80% double dose. And some of you commenting earlier this week that "as long as you're vaccinated, it's basically life as normal". It makes me incredibly depressed out here in Alberta. Our vaxx rates are much lower, and obviously the daily case counts are much higher. TP ~10%. Hospitals and ICU, even with expansion have overloaded and now collapsed. Triage in effect. And people still fighting against masks and proof of vaxx. A large % of the provincial government is fighting the Premier's implementation of COVID mitigation measures and proof of vaxx. No end in sight. 

****....it is really depressing out here. 

Yup it sure doesn't feel that way out here in Alberta (yet).

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Winnipeg wins this round, despite Winkler's valiant effort. MOP is Monstrosity Burger for going full wackjob. Congratulations on a terrible name and terrible polices!

There was an interview with the head of the restaurant association on CJOB. He fully supports the hammer being dropped on Monstosity Burger.  He said all restaurants are working hard to follow the rules and earn the trust of both the public and the government/ health officials and places like that set them back and work against what they are doing. It was good to hear his support.

Experts say the now-waning delta surge may be the last major COVID-19 wave

On Wednesday, the COVID-19 Scenario Modeling Hub, a group of researchers who have been studying and following the trajectory of the pandemic, announced a new prediction stating that the worst of the delta surge is likely behind us. Through combining nine different mathematical models, the researchers forecast that cases will finally start to fall again throughout the next few months and that the U.S. will avoid another winter surge like last year.

"Any of us who have been following this closely, given what happened with delta, are going to be really cautious about too much optimism," Justin Lessler at the University of North Carolina, who helps run the hub, told NPR. "But I do think that the trajectory is towards improvement for most of the country."

Indeed, the U.S. is already starting to see this happen in real-time. As a whole, COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are declining (once again) across the country and even the world. According to the World Health Organization's most recent report, the number of new COVID-19 cases fell to 3.6 million new cases globally, down from 4 million new infections the previous week. In parts of the U.S. where delta hit the hardest, like Florida and Texas, cases and hospitalizations have declined over the last week, too. Of course, this trend doesn't track everywhere across the country. In Ohio, some hospitals are at or reaching peak capacity, as the delta variant just now takes hold in various communities.

"I think in general, with delta, we're peaking as a country, but there are going to be some states where they're on a different timescale and those states are less populous so they probably won't wouldn't affect the overall U.S. numbers," said Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center. "But it may get difficult in some of those states if there are high-risk individuals getting infected as we've seen, for example in Idaho, where they're worried about the ability to care for patients."

The country, Adalja emphasized, is pretty "heterogeneous" and even if U.S. numbers as a whole fall, that doesn't mean the delta surge is over for everyone. Still, a trend of cases and hospitalizations falling is a positive one.

For Americans who recall over a year of surges in case numbers followed by declines followed by another inevitable surge, this prediction might induce deja vu. The delta variant surge has been dubbed the fourth officially COVID-19 wave since the pandemic began, and it certainly threw the pandemic on a different track. Unlike previous surges from 2020 and early 2021, vaccines were widely available for most people who were eligible during delta variant's rise. 

Now, as this wave crests, more people who previously were ineligible for vaccines will be able to obtain vaccinations. The two-shot Pfizer vaccine is expected to be approved in the coming weeks for children between the ages of five and 11; previously, the youngest vaccine-eligible age was 12.

While there have not been official lockdowns during the delta surge in the U.S. (unlike previous surges), some parts of the country tightened pandemic restrictions because of the delta variant. These generally included rules about wearing masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status, or denying entry to businesses if patrons lacked vaccine cards. Indeed, the delta variant delayed society's timeline for returning to any semblance of normalcy.

Unlike previous surges, experts like Adalja and those at the COVID-19 Scenario Modeling Hub do not believe another "surge" is in our future.

"I think you have to also define what it means by surge — are we going to see an acceleration of cases when it gets colder, less sunny, less humid and people have to go indoors? Yes, that's just based on the biology of the virus," Adalja said. "There will be more cases during those periods of time, but will they be deadly? That's really a function of who's getting infected and how protected the high-risk populations are."

Experts say the now-waning delta surge may be the last major COVID-19 wave | Salon.com

46 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Should name the doctor.

And report him/her to the Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons. Even so, it is probable that nothing will be done- in Texas, as an example, it took 5 years and multiple deaths and disabling, botched surgeries to get Dr, Death (Duntsch) out of scrubs.

13 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup it sure doesn't feel that way out here in Alberta (yet).

Kenney is a sociopath. I doubt if he loses any sleep over any Albertan's death as he doesn't believe he did anything wrong. He should be criminally responsible for everyone who has died during The Best Summer Ever. It's disgusting he gets to keep governing here. 

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm so mad at myself for not having thought of this sooner... 

To be fair I am borrowing from the Manitoba PC party who consistently emphasized our new Indigenous Relations minister as Dr and touted his years in the medical field. It was only once he defended residential schools that I found out Dr. meant veterinarian.

FYI: Jet goalie Conner Hellebuyck refused to be vaccinated and was infected with COVID, displaying symptoms mid-August. He did not become deathly ill and reports feeling fine now. There is no indication that he is a long-hauler but it does make me question his judgement. 

COVID Truthers’ New Low: Getting Followers to Yank Relatives From ICUs

Anti-vaxxers have adopted a new conspiracy theory, telling followers that doctors and nurses dealing with the surge of COVID among the unvaccinated are purposefully withholding miracle treatments. On Facebook groups, followers are encouraging each other to pull relatives from ICUs or withhold sending them to ERs and instead self-medicate with unproven drugs like ivermectin, according to posts reviewed by NBC News. Anti-vaxxers have shared instructions for getting someone released from the hospital and shared videos of people doing it successfully. As some followers have realized ivermectin is not effective at treating COVID, they’ve turned to bizarre and dangerous experiments like gargling iodine and inhaling hydrogen peroxide, NBC reports.

(More batshit craziness. Makes me wonder if America deserves to survive as a nation)

Your daily dose of COVIDiocy. 
What kills me is the whole underlying argument is “keep the government out of my life” yet they are completely oblivious to what the government does for them. And like when Trump had his shutdown and no garbage got picked up or mail delivered for a month, suddenly everyone begged for the government to come back and keep the running of their lives in order. 

34 minutes ago, Tracker said:

FYI: Jet goalie Conner Hellebuyck refused to be vaccinated and was infected with COVID, displaying symptoms mid-August. He did not become deathly ill and reports feeling fine now. There is no indication that he is a long-hauler but it does make me question his judgement. 

COVID Truthers’ New Low: Getting Followers to Yank Relatives From ICUs

Anti-vaxxers have adopted a new conspiracy theory, telling followers that doctors and nurses dealing with the surge of COVID among the unvaccinated are purposefully withholding miracle treatments. On Facebook groups, followers are encouraging each other to pull relatives from ICUs or withhold sending them to ERs and instead self-medicate with unproven drugs like ivermectin, according to posts reviewed by NBC News. Anti-vaxxers have shared instructions for getting someone released from the hospital and shared videos of people doing it successfully. As some followers have realized ivermectin is not effective at treating COVID, they’ve turned to bizarre and dangerous experiments like gargling iodine and inhaling hydrogen peroxide, NBC reports.

(More batshit craziness. Makes me wonder if America deserves to survive as a nation)

well at least Helle has smartened up after learning the hard way what COVID can do to you