Covid-19

JCon

On 2021-08-20 at 4:23 PM, bustamente said:

After Potage La Prairie and before Carberry for North Norfolk, and the Morden/ Winkler area for Stanley

Stanley's low numbers are legitimate but I wonder about North Norfolk. There are some municipalities whose Vaccination rates show as low are due to the number of Hutterite colonies . The Colonies I know are not getting vaccinated and I doubt any are. While the percentage shown is true it's not quite indicative of the communities in those RMs. In the RM beside me the Colonies owned %60 of the land 10 years ago and it would be much higher now. Population wise it would be close to close to %50 now as a wild guess. I'm not sure about North Norfolk but I've been surprised about their numbers all along.

Edited by the watcher

8 hours ago, the watcher said:

Stanley's low numbers are legitimate but I wonder about North Norfolk. There are some municipalities whose Vaccination rates show as low are due to the number of Hutterite colonies . The Colonies I know are not getting vaccinated and I doubt any are. While the percentage shown is true it's not quite indicative of the communities in those RMs. In the RM beside me the Colonies owned %60 of the land 10 years ago and it would be much higher now. Population wise it would be close to close to %50 now as a wild guess. I'm not sure about North Norfolk but I've been surprised about their numbers all along.

North Norfolk has a lot of colonies, but it also has a very large Mennonite population. MacGregor and the surrounding villages have at least six Mennonite churches that I'm aware of, and a very conservative Christian school. I have family in the area, and there's a ton of anti-vax, anti-mask, "personal freedom"-type sentiment...

On 2021-08-20 at 7:47 PM, Tracker said:

And DeSantis is contiinuing his fanatical crusade against any and all restrictive measures. Apparently Florida is now completely unregulated.

Yes but most places require mask use atleast in and around Orlando. My brother in law was there a week ago for 5 days... masks were a thing 

I'm confused by all of this talk about DeSantis.

Florida is 25th in deaths per 100000. (And they have the second highest percentage of old people, who are more likely to die from Covid.)

In the month of August both Louisiana and Mississippi have had a worse deaths per 100000 and yet I hear nothing about those 2 states and their leaders.

Weird

15 hours ago, the watcher said:

There are some municipalities whose Vaccination rates show as low are due to the number of Hutterite colonies . The Colonies I know are not getting vaccinated and I doubt any are. 

I'm double-vaxxed myself, as are many other Hutterites that I know, but you are absolutely right about a good number of Hutterite colonies. But there only 10 000 Hutterites in Manitoba, quite widely dispersed.  I don't know if we'd make a significant statistical difference in any municipality. For example, Cartier has far more Hutterite colonies than North Norfolk, and it is not on the low vax rate list.

1 hour ago, Dascow said:

I'm confused by all of this talk about DeSantis.

Florida is 25th in deaths per 100000. (And they have the second highest percentage of old people, who are more likely to die from Covid.)

In the month of August both Louisiana and Mississippi have had a worse deaths per 100000 and yet I hear nothing about those 2 states and their leaders.

Weird

DeSantis I'd running a big circus is really what it comes down to. Other backasswards states aren't putting themselves in the spotlight they're just being lowkey incompetent. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

DeSantis I'd running a big circus is really what it comes down to. Other backasswards states aren't putting themselves in the spotlight they're just being lowkey incompetent. 

I wonder, are there are any states that have done a good job with this thing? I'm not really following what's happening in individual states too much.

It seems like every province in Canada was a ****show.

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I'm double-vaxxed myself, as are many other Hutterites that I know, but you are absolutely right about a good number of Hutterite colonies. But there only 10 000 Hutterites in Manitoba, quite widely dispersed.  I don't know if we'd make a significant statistical difference in any municipality. For example, Cartier has far more Hutterite colonies than North Norfolk, and it is not on the low vax rate list.

Thats good to hear. The RM beside me may be an anomaly as it has one small town around 4 or 500 people and multiple colonies that aren't vaxxed. Im glad to hear many Hutterites are getting vaxxed. We have a close association with the closest one to us. They are awesome people and I've been worried about them as they have chosen not to get the jab .

38 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Thats good to hear. The RM beside me may be an anomaly as it has one small town around 4 or 500 people and multiple colonies that aren't vaxxed. Im glad to hear many Hutterites are getting vaxxed. We have a close association with the closest one to us. They are awesome people and I've been worried about them as they have chosen not to get the jab .

I have the same concern. Unfortunately, the internet is not helping the situation.  I think it's also a case of us not having felt the economic impact. Agriculture was relatively unscathed by covid 19, and manufacturing actually increased.  So, it's easy to sit back and feel safe in your isolated niche. There are also those colonies who have had outbreaks, and think they have herd immunity. 

Anti-vaxxers are now freaking out about blood donations from the vaccinated

Assuming we don't all die of the Omega! Omega! Omega! COVID-19 strain sometime before the year 2050, it's easy enough to imagine future archeologists rooting through our scattered, bleached bones seeking explanations for why TruckNutz suddenly disappeared from the fossil record in 2040 or so. Eventually, they'll discover that the Americanicus dumbfuckerus branch of the great apes' evolutionary tree suddenly shriveled up, died, and was employed for a time as God's go-to backscratcher before He noticed it gave Him a really gross rash.

Sometimes I wonder how Charles Darwin, the inventor of evil-ution, would have reacted to what's going on these days in Florida and other boggy redoubts. After all, there's a certain piquant irony to the fact that the very people who don't believe in natural selection are eagerly proving its validity every day.

The latest? Well, it's not enough that anti-vaxxers kill themselves with their scientifically ignorant rejection of vaccines. They've upped the  ante  making non-COVID-19-related procedures and emergencies problematic, too.

Anti-vaxxers are now freaking out about blood donations from the vaccinated - Alternet.org

9 hours ago, Dascow said:

I wonder, are there are any states that have done a good job with this thing? I'm not really following what's happening in individual states too much.

It seems like every province in Canada was a ****show.

The New England states have fairly good vaccination rates and seem to be handling the 4th wave better as an example.

Florida has had over 150,000 cases each of the past two weeks. Adjusting for population that is like Manitoba having over 1300 cases a day for 14 straight days. I believe our record so far is 600 for one day. Florida's hospitals are also facing being completely full.

Its similar in other southern states such as Louisiana and Mississippi but with Florida DeSantis has made himself a lightning rod with his open the state up, no mask mandates, threatening school boards and what seems to be posturing for the 2024 election. Oh and he's done all this, while touting Regeneron, the largest shareholder of that company also being his largest donor

FDA Grants Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine Full Approval

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday gave the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine its full approval ― the first to reach that status in the United States. 

The FDA has resisted letting the public know precisely when to expect full approval for the coronavirus vaccines, saying in statements that it was working “as quickly as possible” and it would complete the process by January. Reports indicated that a Labor Day deadline had been set internally.

The agency has been allowing doctors and nurses to distribute the vaccine under an emergency use authorization since early December, but required more data from the manufacturer to issue full approval.

The announcement may encourage some people to get vaccinated who had been hesitant. 

“While millions of people have already safely received COVID-19 vaccines, we recognize that for some, the FDA approval of a vaccine may now instill additional confidence to get vaccinated,” acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock said in the agency’s statement.

The FDA said Monday that the vaccine will be marketed under the name Comirnaty for people 16 and older. As the agency continues to study the vaccine, the shots will continue to be under an emergency use authorization for people ages 12 to 15, as well as for the administration of a third dose in immunocompromised people.

FDA Grants Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine Full Approval | HuffPost

New numbers show Florida's Covid surge is deadlier than ever before

Florida has become one of the most dangerous states in the U.S. for COVID-19's highly infectious Delta variant. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one out of every five new COVID-19 infections is occurring in the Sunshine State. And according to a Twitter thread by a health expert for the Mayo Clinic, Florida is now the first state in the U.S. where the current COVID-19 wave has become deadlier than previous waves.

Dr. Vincent Rajkumar, a Mayo professor and editor of Blood Cancer Journal, tweeted Financial Times graphs using COVID-19 data from the Baltimore-based Johns Hopkins University:

Florida becomes first US state where the daily deaths in current wave have exceeded previous waves. https://t.co/xK9UK2don8
— Vincent Rajkumar (@Vincent Rajkumar) 1629651837.0

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

New numbers show Florida's Covid surge is deadlier than ever before

Florida has become one of the most dangerous states in the U.S. for COVID-19's highly infectious Delta variant. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one out of every five new COVID-19 infections is occurring in the Sunshine State. And according to a Twitter thread by a health expert for the Mayo Clinic, Florida is now the first state in the U.S. where the current COVID-19 wave has become deadlier than previous waves.

Dr. Vincent Rajkumar, a Mayo professor and editor of Blood Cancer Journal, tweeted Financial Times graphs using COVID-19 data from the Baltimore-based Johns Hopkins University:

Florida becomes first US state where the daily deaths in current wave have exceeded previous waves. https://t.co/xK9UK2don8
— Vincent Rajkumar (@Vincent Rajkumar) 1629651837.0

Desantis should have to face a reckoning for his actions. 

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The New England states have fairly good vaccination rates and seem to be handling the 4th wave better as an example.

Florida has had over 150,000 cases each of the past two weeks. Adjusting for population that is like Manitoba having over 1300 cases a day for 14 straight days. I believe our record so far is 600 for one day. Florida's hospitals are also facing being completely full.

Its similar in other southern states such as Louisiana and Mississippi but with Florida DeSantis has made himself a lightning rod with his open the state up, no mask mandates, threatening school boards and what seems to be posturing for the 2024 election. Oh and he's done all this, while touting Regeneron, the largest shareholder of that company also being his largest donor

Manitoba has a fairly good vaccination rate. How do you think, Manitoba will do with the upcoming 4th wave?

Are we going to have to lock down again? (When I go into stores I am noticing that most people are still wearing masks.)

What is the metric by which we can open up fully again? And by that I mean no masks, no lock down, no nothing.

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Think he'll beat out Trump for the GOP nomination? 

Yes, I don't think Trump will run. I'm not sure who will win but he's killed many with Covid and that's a big feature for the right. 

EDIT: Sorry, I don't want this thread to get pulled into politics. This is a health and safety issue for functioning adults, not a political issue. ;) 

Edited by JCon

15 minutes ago, Dascow said:

Manitoba has a fairly good vaccination rate. How do you think, Manitoba will do with the upcoming 4th wave?

Are we going to have to lock down again? (When I go into stores I am noticing that most people are still wearing masks.)

What is the metric by which we can open up fully again? And by that I mean no masks, no lock down, no nothing.

I can't make predictions anymore, too many variables and too sad when things don't go well. I'll say I hope our vaccination rate helps.