Covid-19

JCon

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

You just summed up the challenge of being funny online in one sentence.

Many times I needed to re-think prior to clicking submit reply 🙂

Not every joke will land, especially in black and white type. But I always appreciate the effort of those who try, and doubly appreciate those who re-think to craft a good one and make it better. Keeps this place entertaining. 

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not every joke will land, especially in black and white type. But I always appreciate the effort of those who try, and doubly appreciate those who re-think to craft a good one and make it better. Keeps this place entertaining. 

As an aspiring comedian (have done three-standup routines to date, I'm an infant when it comes to doing comedy), I know exactly how this feels, hence the word aspiring. 

I find I amuse myself more than the audience. :-)

Okay moderators I'm getting off topic, lets get back to the crappy topic of Covid.

Poison Control Hotline Sees Call Spike Over COVID Truther’s ‘Horse Paste’ Drug
-Getty
Mississippi’s poison control center was forced to send out a safety alert Friday after it received multiple reports of people ingesting an animal version of ivermectin, a drug that’s been touted and disputed as a COVID-19 treatment. It said a certain group of people has been taking a form of ivermectin made for livestock, WMC reports, and that 85 percent of those calls featured mild adverse responses. “Patients should be advised to not take any medications intended to treat animals and should be instructed to only take ivermectin as prescribed by their physician,” the alert read. “Animal drugs are highly concentrated for large animals and can be highly toxic for humans.” The version of the drug intended for people has been pushed by some conservative figures as an alternative COVID treatment but some of the studies pushing ivermectin have been discredited.

While the poison control center did not say why people opted for the animal drug, The Daily Beast previously found multiple people who resorted to Amazon to obtain the animal version due to its easy availability.

Poison Control Hotline Sees Call Spike Over COVID Truther’s ‘Horse Paste’ Drug (thedailybeast.com)

54 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Poison Control Hotline Sees Call Spike Over COVID Truther’s ‘Horse Paste’ Drug
-Getty
Mississippi’s poison control center was forced to send out a safety alert Friday after it received multiple reports of people ingesting an animal version of ivermectin, a drug that’s been touted and disputed as a COVID-19 treatment. It said a certain group of people has been taking a form of ivermectin made for livestock, WMC reports, and that 85 percent of those calls featured mild adverse responses. “Patients should be advised to not take any medications intended to treat animals and should be instructed to only take ivermectin as prescribed by their physician,” the alert read. “Animal drugs are highly concentrated for large animals and can be highly toxic for humans.” The version of the drug intended for people has been pushed by some conservative figures as an alternative COVID treatment but some of the studies pushing ivermectin have been discredited.

While the poison control center did not say why people opted for the animal drug, The Daily Beast previously found multiple people who resorted to Amazon to obtain the animal version due to its easy availability.

Poison Control Hotline Sees Call Spike Over COVID Truther’s ‘Horse Paste’ Drug (thedailybeast.com)

Yes, it is commonly used to treat and prevent mange in livestock - especially out on the range. 

They don't want to get vaccinated, but they will take drugs intended to treat parasites in livestock

Their logic is beyond the pale. 

Maine Lawmaker Whose Wife Just Died of COVID Joins Anti-Vaxx Rally

Chris Johansen, who has been a fierce opponent of pandemic restrictions, joined a rally at which a colleague compared the governor to a Nazi.  A Republican legislator in Maine who lost his wife to COVID-19 last week appeared at a rally on Tuesday that featured a GOP colleague who compared the state’s Democratic governor to a Nazi doctor who performed deadly experiments on Jews during the Holocaust.

State Rep. Chris Johansen, who emerged in the early days of the pandemic as a fierce opponent of public health-related restrictions, joined a group of lawmakers at the event in Augusta. State Rep. Heidi Sampson delivered a speech to the crowd that baselessly accused Gov. Janet Mills, who has introduced a vaccine mandate for health-care workers, of operating a government campaign to test “experimental” vaccines on unknowing citizens.

She described Mills as the “reincarnated” Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, who performed deadly experiments on Jewish people in Auschwitz death camps during the Holocaust.

“Do I need to remind you of the late 1930s and into the 40s in Germany. And the experiments with Josef Mengele,” Sampson said according to a video from the event posted online. “What was it? A shot. And these were crimes against humanity. And what came out of that? The Nuremberg Code. The Nuremberg Trial. Informed consent is at the top and violating that is punishable by death.”

Chris Johansen, Maine Lawmaker Whose Wife Cindy Johansen Died of COVID, Joins Anti-Vaxx Rally (thedailybeast.com)

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

What percentage of the double vaxxed require hospitalization? 

this is a fair point...I think it's something less than 5....like 2 or 3%. I'm doing my best to keep that in mind and not get too freaked out. But, I will say that I am very happy to be coming home where people are still wearing masks and observing COVID mitigation procedures. And only double vaxxed allowed into events! Can't wait to get back to a land of normal on Monday! :)

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Florida has averaged 150,000 + cases in each of the past two weeks. Comparing populations, that's like Manitoba having over 1350 cases a day every day for two weeks.

And DeSantis is contiinuing his fanatical crusade against any and all restrictive measures. Apparently Florida is now completely unregulated.

Texas Lt. Gov. Falsely Blames Black People For State’s Low Vaccination Rates

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick should be trying to find ways to get more Texans vaccinated against COVID-19, but he seems more interested in finding scapegoats.

During an interview with Fox News host Laura Ingraham on Thursday, Patrick blamed Texas’ low vaccination rates on the Lone Star state’s Black population ― oh, and on Democrats.

“Democrats like to blame Republicans” for low vaccination rates, Patrick complained before falsely saying that “the biggest group in most states are African-Americans who have not been vaccinated.”

“The last time I checked, over 90% of them vote for Democrats in their major cities and major counties,” he added.

Black people are not, as Patrick claimed, the biggest group of unvaccinated people in most states. Texas has 5.6 million unvaccinated white people, versus 1.9 million unvaccinated Black people, according to the Texas Tribune. A Kaiser Family Foundation report published this week found that white adults account for the largest share of unvaccinated adults in the U.S.

Texas Lt. Gov. Falsely Blames Black People For State's Low Vaccination Rates | HuffPost

Conservative Radio Host Who Mocked Vaccines Dies of COVID-19

A conservative radio host in Nashville who derided vaccines and spread misinformation about the coronavirus has died of COVID-19. Phil Valentine was 61.

Though Valentine downplayed the efficacy of vaccines and even went so far as to record a parody song mocking them, he reversed his opinion while in the hospital, advising his family members to get the jab.

He had said of the vaccine, “I have a very low risk of A) Getting COVID and B) dying of it if I do. Why would I risk getting a heart attack or paralysis by getting the vaccine?” He also said at the time that he had been taking the anti-parasite medication ivermectin, which is meant for animals.

Valentine hosted a regular talk radio show on 99.7 WWTN-FM in Nashville. His station wrote in a statement, “We are saddened to report that our host and friend Phil Valentine has passed away. Please keep the Valentine family in your thoughts and prayers.”

Conservative Radio Host Phil Valentine Who Recorded Beatles Parody About Vaccines Dies From Coronavirus (thedailybeast.com)

On 2021-08-20 at 10:11 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Sometimes the lack of self awareness when trying to break everything down to the plain “religion” argument as your default astounds me. 

BTW, nice clothes, glasses, make up, computer, smart phone (for those missing the irony). 

Now, I'm not one that has ever been prone to public nudity but I'm pretty sure if I was at that meeting I would have jumped up, yelled  " You are right " and stripped completely naked.