Covid-19

JCon

49 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

As someone who has Alberta family that has health issues, it scares the crap out of me whichever the UPC’s intentions. 

agreed, I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old, with new variants being less discriminatory with regards to age and given that it's the younger people not vaccinated that a new variant is more likely to spread to them it is concerning that they were so willing to just give up on testing and isolating sick people. 

Even if things ultimately did work out fine and it became just something we deal with... don't we want some reliable data to study these things and help in the future? I just have no tolerance for governments that fear information and take the stance of "some of you may die, but that is a risk we are willing to take"

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Hooray! This is great news. 

I'm hoping my employer follows suit. 

I agree, though the mandatory requirement through a broad spectrum of positions is a legal quagmire and relatively new ground. For example, jurisdictions have tried to mandate flu vaccines in health care and been shot down (no pun intended!) . It is going to be interesting how it plays out and how it is applied to other workplaces.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

agreed, I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old, with new variants being less discriminatory with regards to age and given that it's the younger people not vaccinated that a new variant is more likely to spread to them it is concerning that they were so willing to just give up on testing and isolating sick people. 

Even if things ultimately did work out fine and it became just something we deal with... don't we want some reliable data to study these things and help in the future? I just have no tolerance for governments that fear information and take the stance of "some of you may die, but that is a risk we are willing to take"

I hear you man. I have soon to be born twins, one of whom has a very serious heart condition, requiring us to fly to Edmonton from Winnipeg for her surgery at just days old. 
I have absolutely no respect tolerance, or any fibre of understanding for the “some dying is a risk we should take” crowd. 

COVID-19 Hospitalizations Among Ages 30-39 Reaches New Record: U.S. Data
-Getty
COVID-19 hospitalizations among those in their 30s have reached a new record, U.S. data shows, with doctors attributing the rise to the Delta variant’s grip over the unvaccinated.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the rate among those between the ages 30 and 39 entering the hospital is 2.5 among 100,000 people as of Wednesday, up from a January record of 2 per 100,000. Doctors pointed to the increased transmissibility of the Delta variant, which has hit an age group once thought largely impervious to hospitalization. That risk is also amplified by increased socialization, providing more avenues for those unvaccinated in their 30s to catch the virus. “It loves social mobility,” Dr. James Fiorica, chief medical officer of a hospital in Sarasota, Florida, told The Wall Street Journal. “An unvaccinated 30-year-old can be a perfect carrier.”

It’s led some doctors in Arkansas to monitor younger patients for possible organ failure. “This age group pretty much went unscathed,” Nikhil Meena, the medical director of the University of Arkansas Medical Center’s ICU, said. “They’re all out there doing their thing and getting infected and getting sick enough to be in this hospital.”

CNN —  

The US could soon see more than 200,000 new cases of Covid-19 every day as the Delta variant spreads at a rapid pace, particularly among unvaccinated people, the director of the National Institutes of Health predicted.

“I will be surprised if we don’t cross 200,000 cases a day in the next couple of weeks, and that’s heartbreaking considering we never thought we would be back in that space again,” Dr. Francis Collins said on Fox News Sunday.

“That was January, February, that shouldn’t be August. But here we are with the Delta variant, which is so contagious, and this heartbreaking situation where 90 million people are still unvaccinated, who are sitting ducks for this virus, and that’s the mess we’re in.”

That mark is still a ways off. As of Saturday, the US has averaged about 129,000 daily new cases over the last 7 days, a number that has risen every day since July 5, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The country last averaged over 200,000 cases per day in January, before the Covid-19 vaccines were widely available.

Then as now, the alarming uptick has stretched health resources thin as many hospitals struggle to meet the demand of those who need crucial medical care.

“The system is breaking,” CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner told CNN’s Jim Acosta on Saturday."

what will the number of deaths be?

vaccinated who get covid should be first in any line. 

Edited by Mark F

Right-wing cardinal placed on ventilator after spreading microchip conspiracies about vaccines

-Gettys
A right-wing Catholic cardinal who expressed skepticism of the coronavirus vaccines has been placed on a ventilator after his infection with the potentially deadly virus.

Cardinal Raymond Burke was hospitalized in Wisconsin, where he was a bishop from 1994 to 2005, and receiving breathing assistance from a ventilator, reported the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Kids under 12 will take some time but eventually we will get there. My daughter is almost 7 now and she's asking me when she can get her shots lol. 

I told her dunno and not to worry about it right now but when you can you will. I'd imagine tho her doctor will have to give it to her eventually 

I'm hoping that it gets administered in schools.  This would be the fastest way to get to all the kids quickly (once it's approved).  My 9 year old is much like your 7, continuously asking when she can get her shot.

1 hour ago, Sard said:

I'm hoping that it gets administered in schools.  This would be the fastest way to get to all the kids quickly (once it's approved).  My 9 year old is much like your 7, continuously asking when she can get her shot.

I would be shocked if they did that,  imagine the **** that would go down if a kid gets sick afterwards.  Way to much of a liability on the schools part.   

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I would be shocked if they did that,  imagine the **** that would go down if a kid gets sick afterwards.  Way to much of a liability on the schools part.   

Kids get immunized in school all the time. Parents can do it through their doctor, or sign the consent form and have a public health nurse do it at school. 

How a Los Angeles megachurch became a bastion of evangelical coronavirus denial: "There is no pandemic'"

Coronavirus denial is by no means universal in Christianity. A wide range of practicing Christians, from Catholics to Mainline Protestants such as Lutherans, Methodists and Episcopalians, have encouraged social distancing, mask wearing and vaccination. But countless far-right white evangelicals have recklessly, irresponsibly promoted the spread of COVID-19, and an article published by the Los Angeles Review of Books on August 15 describes an L.A. megachurch's battle against public health measures.

Writer Jim Hinch explains, "Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, evangelical Christians have been among the most polarizing voices in a divided nation struggling to respond to a grave public health emergency. From the moment authorities began addressing the crisis last year, evangelicals have protested government-ordered lockdowns, resisted measures such as mask-wearing, defied restrictions on indoor worship services, and fought public health officials all the way to the Supreme Court."

Hinch adds, "More recently, White evangelicals have emerged as the demographic group most resistant to getting vaccinated against COVID-19. Their embrace of conspiracy theories and overall pandemic denialism contributed to their avid participation in the January 6 insurrection at the United States Capitol. A religious group that prides itself on its patriotism has become a major impediment to advancing the United States' goals."

The Los Angeles megachurch that Hinch discusses in his article is Grace Community Church, located in the San Fernando Valley. Hinch describes Grace's 82-year-old pastor, John F. MacArthur, as "theologically conservative" but notes that according to the church's website, "John doesn't involve himself in politics."

Nonetheless, Grace has resisted public health measures during a deadly pandemic that has, according to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, killed more than 4.3 million people worldwide. 

How a Los Angeles megachurch became a bastion of evangelical coronavirus denial: 'There is no pandemic' - Alternet.org