Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, Sard said:

I agree that the Darwin Wave is still an appropriate name.

People like us with kids under 12 are still making the kids wear masks, and limiting their exposure as much as possible which reduces their risk.  Still concerning for sure.

The hard part is mine are 3 and 6 months. Even if children get approved for a vaccine it will probably be 2+ and the baby will still be unvaccinated. People just need to keep being smart about this stuff and put an end to the spread.

So I had an interesting morning on twitter after I said I agreed that Governments should not be mandating vaccine passports for grocery stores/food purchasing. But I also think private companies whose only service is a want/privilege (in this case movie theatres) SHOULD be able to mandate vaccines in order to get in.

Of course the anti-vaxxers said I was promoting a two tiered society (wait until they find out about our financial system) and that companies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against those choosing to not get the vax. And I had to legitimately describe to people what a NEED is and what a WANT is.

And this got me thinking. How is this any different than money? Let me explain and see if you can find any flaws in my logic.

I don't want to work anymore. It's hard and can even be life threatening in some instances. At the very least, most jobs come with some underlying issue that is sure to impact your health. So I have decided to no longer work, in anyway...of course this means I no longer want to make money. BUT I still want everything that society has to offer to be open to me. If I want to go to the theatres I should be able to. If I want to go get a brand new car, I should be able to. If a company says "Sorry but you HAVE to pay for this product/service" that is discrimination and shouldn't be allowed.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

So I had an interesting morning on twitter after I said I agreed that Governments should not be mandating vaccine passports for grocery stores/food purchasing. But I also think private companies whose only service is a want/privilege (in this case movie theatres) SHOULD be able to mandate vaccines in order to get in.

Of course the anti-vaxxers said I was promoting a two tiered society (wait until they find out about our financial system) and that companies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against those choosing to not get the vax. And I had to legitimately describe to people what a NEED is and what a WANT is.

And this got me thinking. How is this any different than money? Let me explain and see if you can find any flaws in my logic.

I don't want to work anymore. It's hard and can even be life threatening in some instances. At the very least, most jobs come with some underlying issue that is sure to impact your health. So I have decided to no longer work, in anyway...of course this means I no longer want to make money. BUT I still want everything that society has to offer to be open to me. If I want to go to the theatres I should be able to. If I want to go get a brand new car, I should be able to. If a company says "Sorry but you HAVE to pay for this product/service" that is discrimination and shouldn't be allowed.

I like that comparison a lot, and I see a lot of parallels with the vaccine in the way that you have described it.  To further the comment about underlying issue, I would give specific examples like stress, sitting for too long, repetitive strain injuries.

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Eric Clapton won't play venues if they require vaccinations. https://nbcnews.to/3zs9aKY

Some people on social media re making this out to be a bigger deal than it is. Valerie Bertinelli, the widow of Eddie Van Halen described Clapton today as, "Once a ****, always a ****". He is being criticized by social media types but I doubt he cares. Clapton is 76 years of age & has physical ailments that affect his ability to play guitar. He said he had a bad reaction to the AZ vaccine & couldn't feel his hands for 2 weeks. So, he doesn't think it's right to exclude unvaccinated fans from his concerts so he's decided to cancel any show that won't let them attend. 

Clapton's concert schedule before Covid was severely curtailed. Gone are the months or years long world tours. He is more of a nostalgic act now. A few concerts here & there. Fans want to hear the old tunes & not any new ones. Young music fans have never heard of him. He's becoming irrelevant & so is his opinion.  It's also his decision to not play to just the vaccinated. Clapton's career is like a private business & in reality he is a private contractor. He doesn't need the money or the adulation. I don't agree with him as he is wrong but really, who cares what he thinks? 

I heard on the tv someone making the argument that providing concrete factual peer reviewed evidence to help skeptics understand why certain things are extremely important to do when it comes to COVID makes these same skeptics feel like they are being called dumb.

As Larry David would say, hmmm okay okay.

Sigh.

So just an update from the west, in case anyone is curious about what happens if and when you ditch the masks...... AB seeing exponential growth again, due to Delta Variant and largest group of "unvaccinated even though eligible" population in the country. 96% of all new cases are people not fully vaccinated. Some of that is kids, but most is assholes not getting vaccinated. It's gonna be BRUTAL come fall time....and it's already begun. 

Danger to the world": 1,200+ scientists denounce Boris Johnson's plan to end UK COVID restrictions

This article originally appeared at Common Dreams. It is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. Feel free to republish and share widely.

More than 1,200 scientists from around the world have condemned British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's plan to lift nearly all Covid restrictions in the United Kingdom on Monday, with some of the experts holding an emergency summit on Friday to warn that prematurely ending public health precautions in the country would lead to a surge in infections that could enable vaccine-resistant variants to develop and spread rapidly around the world.

During Friday's summit, epidemiologists and physicians compared Johnson's decision to proceed with so-called Freedom Day on July 19th despite a sharp uptick in Covid-19 cases to the pursuit of "herd immunity by mass infection," The Independent reported. 

Forgoing almost every mandatory rule on mask-wearing and social distancing before the pandemic has been contained poses a "danger to the world," they warned.

William Hasteltine, a leading AIDS researcher and chair of Access Health International, said that he was "extremely dismayed to see the very rapid rate of increasing infections in a population" that is as vaccinated as the U.K.

Roughly two-thirds of the U.K.'s adult population has been fully inoculated, according to government figures, but cases, hospitalizations, and deaths have increased by 34.9%, 43.4%, and 57.4%, respectively, in the past week. 

"I believe that the strategy of herd immunity is actually murderous," Hasteltine continued. "I think that's a word we should use, because that is what it is. It is knowledge that you are doing something that will result in thousands, and in some cases tens of thousands of people dying."

"It is a disastrous policy," he added. "It's been clear that that's been the case for some time, and to continue to espouse that policy is unconscionable."

"Danger to the world": 1,200+ scientists denounce Boris Johnson's plan to end UK COVID restrictions | Salon.com

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

So just an update from the west, in case anyone is curious about what happens if and when you ditch the masks...... AB seeing exponential growth again, due to Delta Variant and largest group of "unvaccinated even though eligible" population in the country. 96% of all new cases are people not fully vaccinated. Some of that is kids, but most is assholes not getting vaccinated. It's gonna be BRUTAL come fall time....and it's already begun. 

Wonder if there's any chance that some dumb shits finally get vaccinated when they see the prospect of another lockdown. Hoping this will cause MB to remain strong or get even stronger on privileges for vaccinated only. We have a really hard time learning from the mistakes of others though - not hopeful.

34 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Wonder if there's any chance that some dumb shits finally get vaccinated when they see the prospect of another lockdown. Hoping this will cause MB to remain strong or get even stronger on privileges for vaccinated only. We have a really hard time learning from the mistakes of others though - not hopeful.

Premier actually had a media availability where he said, and I quote, "the pandemic is over" earlier this week. Health officials were aghast. Cases nearing 100/day and climbing exponentially...... 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Premier actually had a media availability where he said, and I quote, "the pandemic is over" earlier this week. Health officials were aghast. Cases nearing 100/day and climbing exponentially...... 

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney shows off his pancake-flipping skills at the annual Premier’s Stampede Breakfast in downtown Calgary on July 12, 2021.

Calgary Morning Television News Anchor: "And here we have a live shot of the Stampede Grounds at this morning's Premier's Stampede Breakfast. We see Jason Kenney being attacked by 2 Covid 19 Delta viruses but it doesn't appear to be slowing him down... as he says the Pandemic is over. Jason Kenney always going with the science"

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Lancet.

"There is growing evidence that individuals with severe COVID-19 disease can have symptoms that persist beyond the initial illness, including through the sub-acute and into the early chronic phase. Often referred to as ‘Long COVID’ 

there are colloquial reports of ‘brain fog’ with self-reported broad psychological symptoms including low energy, problems concentrating, disorientation and difficulty finding the right words. In parallel, case studies have provided evidence that COVID-19 patients can develop a range of neurological complications including those arising from stroke encephalopathies, inflammatory syndrome microbleeds] and autoimmune responses There are concerns regarding potential neurological consequences due to sepsis, hypoxia and immune hyperstimulation  with reports of elevated cerebrospinal fluid autoantibodies in patients with neurological symptoms white matter change in the brain and psychological and psychiatric consequences at the point of discharge "