Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I would generally agree with this. Though my wife, despite being fully vaccinated and 2 weeks past her 2nd vax, can't get a card. (International students aren't quite considered people in PC MB). I would totally loan my card to someone in this predicament, though I'd hope it isn't possible to loan cards in the first place.

My parents can't get them either. But they both have printed a paper copy. Can your wife not do that?

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

My parents can't get them either. But they both have printed a paper copy. Can your wife not do that?

International students are not eligible to get vax cards, or health care for that matter. Still facing $6000+ in hospital bills for the birth of my son. This despite having $1000/yr mandatory private health insurance. 😒PCs took away ability for intl' students to have MB Health cards and vax cards go through that.

42 minutes ago, WildPath said:

International students are not eligible to get vax cards, or health care for that matter. Still facing $6000+ in hospital bills for the birth of my son. This despite having $1000/yr mandatory private health insurance. 😒PCs took away ability for intl' students to have MB Health cards and vax cards go through that.

So there is no record of her getting the vaccine?

Also that's some BS they're putting people through. I had heard about a student who is facing a $120,000 bill due to an emergency situation that was made worse when he caught covid in hospital.

Hopefully there's a record somehow tied to the ID she needed to produce. And hopefully, eventually, she will be able to produce evidence of it or something equal to a vax card. On the plus side, we got my son's birth certificate today and he's now a Canadian citizen, even though he was born at St. B. So at least he should be entitled to public health care too. My wife and son have not been able to be added to my private blue cross through work either because she does not have a MB health card.

On 2021-07-16 at 5:31 PM, Tracker said:

Texas man who called vaccines 'poison' dies from COVID-19 after spending 17 days on a ventilator

A 54-year-old Texas man who thought COVID-19 vaccines were "poison" died from the virus last month, and was buried by his wife and three sons on Father's Day.

Now, Alan Scott Lanoix's sister is sharing the story of her brother's death to "save a life" — by encouraging others to get vaccinated.

"It's hard to believe that one decision can change your whole life," Lanoix's sister Lisa Adler told New Orleans' CBS affiliate. "The kids had to bury their father on Father's day. He thought the vaccine was poison and he was afraid of getting it and there's a lot of people that have that same feeling.

"I was scared to get it myself, but you have to worry about what the consequences are," she added. "He was a great person and I urge anybody if they are on the fence about getting the vaccine, do it in my brother's memory."

Adler, who lives is Chalmette, LA, said she last spoke to her brother in May, when he called to tell her happy birthday. He also reported that he'd been exposed to COVID at work. Lanoix, who grew up in Louisiana, had relocated his family to Katy, Texas, after Hurricane Katrina.

"I kept telling him, 'You'll have immunity now and everything will be okay.' He told me that no matter what happens with his life, he was happy with his life and loved his family," Adler said.

Lanoix spent 17 days on a ventilator before his death.

Texas man who called vaccines 'poison' dies from COVID-19 after spending 17 days on a ventilator - Alternet.org

Maybe I'm a cold person but c'est la vie. I'm so tired of these people. He made his choice. I don't feel sorry for him but I do for his family. Total & complete selfishness on his part. 

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe I'm a cold person but c'est la vie. I'm so tired of these people. He made his choice. I don't feel sorry for him but I do for his family. Total & complete selfishness on his part. 

That same thought keeps creeping in my head as well when I see unmasked people indoors. But I don't like thinking that way. It's not good for my mind ,spirit and well being to feel that way. But I can't deny it is there.

The Washington Post has crunched the numbers and has adjusted them to calculate infection rates for the unvaccinated.  Startling... and coming to a certain Southern Manitoba city near you.

"Almost half the U.S. population is fully vaccinated, however — and mostly protected from infection. In Missouri, if we remove vaccinated people from the population used to determine the case rate, the numbers paint a better picture of Missouri’s cases among unvaccinated people.

The result is startling: Missouri’s case rate among unvaccinated people is as high as its overall case rate in mid-January, near the state’s peak of coronavirus infections."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/unvaccinated-case-rate-delta-surge/?itid=hp_pandemic

Edited by Wideleft

since "conservatives" are supposed to be concerned about spending money effectively, 

what is the extra cost, ie, money absolutely wasted, of caring for those who refused the vaccine?

probably many billions.

hand  government to a dunce, treat him like he was sent by the Lord, this is the  result.

greed and stupidity is defeating normal intelligence, and compassion.

dead end species.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's simple: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I don't know if it makes one a cold person but it's hard to feel any sympathy for an adult who's chosen to remain ignorant and misinformed, putting themselves and potentially others at risk. Social responsibility seems lost on many people and that's only been magnified since the pandemic began, choosing to prioritize their "individuality" over being decent to or considerate of others in this world.

I agree with you on being tired of those types of people. They are shite.

25 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's simple: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I don't know if it makes one a cold person but it's hard to feel any sympathy for an adult who's chosen to remain ignorant and misinformed, putting themselves and potentially others at risk. Social responsibility seems lost on many people and that's only been magnified since the pandemic began, choosing to prioritize their "individuality" over being decent to or considerate of others in this world.

I agree with you on being tired of those types of people. They are shite.

I think what alot of the anti-vax , anti -mask crowd don't get is the repercussions of Covid. We talked to a Physio therapist yesterday who said she is so tired of dealing with Covid patients who survived the initial infection but now have severely damaged organs etc. Some probably will never get out of the hospital.And all they had to do was get a vaccine.

My son told me one of his co-workers,  a fit, healthy,  30 something guy got Covid. At one point he called his parents from the hospital to say goodbye because he didn't think he would make it. He survived BUT he has severe liver damage. He came in to see the guys at work and my son said he is a shell of his former self.  Just a mess. He is a partsman and isn't healthy enough to go back to work.

I don't understand how people don't take it seriously.

I feel bad that we have systems of power and education that allow so many of these beliefs to be held. This should be viewed as people slipping through the cracks and not having a sufficient level of critical thinking ability. As much as individuals professing crazy, society-harming beliefs pisses me off, the systems that allow so many people to have these views needs to be examined. Its a low bar, but surpassing the US in vaccination rates despite more supply issues says something about our education system and other power dynamics that exist.

That we haven't got 80% of eligible people in the province a vaccine after over a year of having Covid.... I could imagine it if we said that the threat was coming, but we've already lived it. I guess going through restrictions, masking, etc. hasn't been so bad for the anti-mask/restrictions crowd that has disregarded public health measures.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I've been saying for awhile now, the next wave (3rd, 4th, whatever....) is "The Darwin Wave". Survival of the fittest....only the truly stupid will succumb to the virus at this point. 

Here was my conversation with an old friend of my wife's who said she wasn't getting the vaccine. 

Her: "I haven't gotten the vaccine"

Me: " why not ? "

Her:" I just dont "

Me: " But why not ? "

Her: dead air, then stumbling for words and no answer.

So this over weight woman ,in her late 60s had not one actual reason or answer as to why she would risk her life. She is neither religious or far right. As you said perhaps the " Darwin wave " will remove her type

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've been saying for awhile now, the next wave (3rd, 4th, whatever....) is "The Darwin Wave". Survival of the fittest....only the truly stupid will succumb to the virus at this point. 

I would temper that sentiment- there are many who can not get the vaccine. My kids who are under 12 are not "the truly stupid", nor is my co-worker's wife who is immuno-compromised.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Too broad of a brush stroke. Like all vaccinations, there are unfortunately some people who are vulnerable, yet cannot be vaccinated. There are kids who are not eligible and won't be for a while too. A small minority of those with the vaccinations will have "breakthrough" cases, but I'm not sure what percent of the small percentage get negative effects more than a bad cold. Its people like this that the anti-vaxxers don't give a sh-- about. I don't think its 100% accurate, but I do like the term "The Darwin Wave"

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the number of ADULTS who are unable to be vaccinated "for reasons" is very very small. Kids under 12 getting very sick from COVID is extremely rare. 

I stand by my previous statement. 

However new variants are getting more dangerous to younger people. As someone with kids under 12 it's a concern for sure.

The fact that vaccines of all things have become a political issue for a significant number of people is a sad sad statement about our society.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

However new variants are getting more dangerous to younger people. As someone with kids under 12 it's a concern for sure.

The fact that vaccines of all things have become a political issue for a significant number of people is a sad sad statement about our society.

I agree that the Darwin Wave is still an appropriate name.

People like us with kids under 12 are still making the kids wear masks, and limiting their exposure as much as possible which reduces their risk.  Still concerning for sure.

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the number of ADULTS who are unable to be vaccinated "for reasons" is very very small. Kids under 12 getting very sick from COVID is extremely rare. 

“Ninety-eight percent of hospitalized individuals with covid in Arkansas are unvaccinated,” Williams said.

Even though treatments are better than they were originally, a larger share of patients are ending up in intensive care, and the fatality rate for those patients remains high, experts said.

“That’s just indicative of the more virulent quality of the delta variant,” Williams said. “It will make people sick, even people that are young and would not have felt any consequence from the original wild variant.”

Frighteningly, he said, far more children are being hospitalized, which was very rare until recently. As of mid-July, a dozen children were in Arkansas Children’s Hospital, he said, and two were on ventilators.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/unvaccinated-case-rate-delta-surge/?itid=hp_mr_3

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, you might want to check on your data- it's not extremely rare for kids under 12 to become very sick. 

Sure thing, stand by your statement- it doesn't make it less ignorant.