Covid-19

JCon

Texas man who called vaccines 'poison' dies from COVID-19 after spending 17 days on a ventilator

A 54-year-old Texas man who thought COVID-19 vaccines were "poison" died from the virus last month, and was buried by his wife and three sons on Father's Day.

Now, Alan Scott Lanoix's sister is sharing the story of her brother's death to "save a life" — by encouraging others to get vaccinated.

"It's hard to believe that one decision can change your whole life," Lanoix's sister Lisa Adler told New Orleans' CBS affiliate. "The kids had to bury their father on Father's day. He thought the vaccine was poison and he was afraid of getting it and there's a lot of people that have that same feeling.

"I was scared to get it myself, but you have to worry about what the consequences are," she added. "He was a great person and I urge anybody if they are on the fence about getting the vaccine, do it in my brother's memory."

Adler, who lives is Chalmette, LA, said she last spoke to her brother in May, when he called to tell her happy birthday. He also reported that he'd been exposed to COVID at work. Lanoix, who grew up in Louisiana, had relocated his family to Katy, Texas, after Hurricane Katrina.

"I kept telling him, 'You'll have immunity now and everything will be okay.' He told me that no matter what happens with his life, he was happy with his life and loved his family," Adler said.

Lanoix spent 17 days on a ventilator before his death.

Texas man who called vaccines 'poison' dies from COVID-19 after spending 17 days on a ventilator - Alternet.org

20 hours ago, Sard said:

My concern is for the kids who can't get vaccinated yet.  I have an 8 year old, and until she is vaccinated I'm still a little uncomfortable with loosened restrictions.  Specifically anything to do with masks and distancing.

I hear you. I have a three month old and I've been doing research in regards to transmission from fully vaccinated people and risk if he does get it somehow. According to Mayo Clinic, many kids have very little symptoms and are often diagnosed when they are admitted to hospital for other reasons, such as a broken arm - carrying Covid, but not really affected by it. Kids under 1 year of age are a bit of a different story as they have smaller airways and are less developed.

My autoimmune condition likely means the vax was less effective on myself. I'm not too worried about hospitalization/death to myself, but more concerned with spreading to my son and other kids. Really want to go to the home opener, but weighing it carrying Delta back to my home. Fortunately I can have some reassurance being around others that have been sensible and likely have better protection than myself from the vax.

On 2021-07-17 at 11:49 AM, WildPath said:

I hear you. I have a three month old and I've been doing research in regards to transmission from fully vaccinated people and risk if he does get it somehow. According to Mayo Clinic, many kids have very little symptoms and are often diagnosed when they are admitted to hospital for other reasons, such as a broken arm - carrying Covid, but not really affected by it. Kids under 1 year of age are a bit of a different story as they have smaller airways and are less developed.

My autoimmune condition likely means the vax was less effective on myself. I'm not too worried about hospitalization/death to myself, but more concerned with spreading to my son and other kids. Really want to go to the home opener, but weighing it carrying Delta back to my home. Fortunately I can have some reassurance being around others that have been sensible and likely have better protection than myself from the vax.

Yeah, going to the game is a tough one, and will feel very strange.  I'm going to be there, and I will wear my mask for the whole thing, whether it is required or not.

Former FDA Chief Predicts ‘Most’ Unvaccinated Americans Will Get Delta Variant

The former director of the Food and Drug Administration predicted Sunday that “most” unvaccinated Americans who haven’t already had COVID-19 will contract the delta variant — and it will be the “most serious” virus of their lives.

“This virus is so contagious, this variant is so contagious, that most people will either get vaccinated or have been previously infected or they will get this delta variant,” Scott Gottlieb warned in an interview on “Face the Nation” on CBS.

“And for most people who get this delta variant, it’s going to be the most serious virus that they get in their lifetime in terms of the risk of putting them in the hospital,” he added.

Gottlieb, who served under former President Donald Trump before the pandemic, spoke as cases of the disease were climbing across America, with the seven-day average of reported coronavirus cases soaring nearly 70% last week.

All 50 states are experiencing a higher number of new cases. Among the hardest hit are states with low vaccination rates, such as Arkansas, Missouri and Florida. The Sunshine state last week accounted for 20% of all new cases in the country.

Former FDA Chief Predicts 'Most' Unvaccinated Americans Will Get Delta Variant | HuffPost

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

Former FDA Chief Predicts ‘Most’ Unvaccinated Americans Will Get Delta Variant

The former director of the Food and Drug Administration predicted Sunday that “most” unvaccinated Americans who haven’t already had COVID-19 will contract the delta variant — and it will be the “most serious” virus of their lives.

“This virus is so contagious, this variant is so contagious, that most people will either get vaccinated or have been previously infected or they will get this delta variant,” Scott Gottlieb warned in an interview on “Face the Nation” on CBS.

“And for most people who get this delta variant, it’s going to be the most serious virus that they get in their lifetime in terms of the risk of putting them in the hospital,” he added.

Gottlieb, who served under former President Donald Trump before the pandemic, spoke as cases of the disease were climbing across America, with the seven-day average of reported coronavirus cases soaring nearly 70% last week.

All 50 states are experiencing a higher number of new cases. Among the hardest hit are states with low vaccination rates, such as Arkansas, Missouri and Florida. The Sunshine state last week accounted for 20% of all new cases in the country.

Former FDA Chief Predicts 'Most' Unvaccinated Americans Will Get Delta Variant | HuffPost

I believe we will see it sweep through Manitoba's low vax areas as well. I am pleasantly surprised to see the provincial rate still climbing .I thought it might slow to a crawl by now. 77.4 % is really good.

Three in 10 Trump voters believe the feds are using the vaccine to microchip Americans

A new poll reveals a stunning political divide among Americans who are willing to protect themselves and their families against the deadly coronavirus versus those who believe conspiracy theories and lies propagated by malignant actors on Facebook, Fox News, or other far right wing media.

In the latest Economist/YouGov poll, a whopping three out of every ten Republicans, Trump voters, and conservatives say they believe the U.S. Government is microchipping Americans through COVID-19 vaccine inoculations. There is no basis for the absolutely false and delirious claim.

And while right wingers are not alone in this belief, only a small percentage of those identifying as Democrats, Biden voters, or liberals also claim it to be "definitely" or "probably" true.

Overall, 20% – that's one in five Americans – believe the microchip lie. Within the 20% who believe that lie, half (51%) say they "will not" be vaccinated.

Three in 10 Trump voters believe the feds are using the vaccine to microchip Americans - Alternet.org

(If the vaccine is delivering chips, I hope I get Doritos)

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

Three in 10 Trump voters believe the feds are using the vaccine to microchip Americans

It seems like the lowest level of ignorance varies, and parts  of america are at Rural Africa, or Afghanistan levels of ignorance and superstition.

Legislators outlawing a vaccine that prevents disease in children. astonishing.

" 1796, the British doctor Edward Jenner demonstrated that an infection with the relatively mild cowpox virus conferred immunity against the deadly smallpox virus."

these idiots are using pre 1796 science to make decisions.

Darwin's theory of natural selection is being nudged a bit cause these people should probably be dwindling in numbers without the science that they despise.

Edited by Mark F

11 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It seems like the lowest level of ignorance varies, and parts  of america are at Rural Africa, or Afghanistan levels of ignorance and superstition.

Legislators outlawing a vaccine that prevents disease in children. astonishing.

" 1796, the British doctor Edward Jenner demonstrated that an infection with the relatively mild cowpox virus conferred immunity against the deadly smallpox virus."

these idiots are using pre 1796 science to make decisions.

Darwin's theory of natural selection is being nudged a bit cause these people should probably be dwindling in numbers without the science that they despise.

The thing is, I've always felt that a lot of the same people would be pushing others out of line to get the vaccine if the virus was significantly more deadly. Think zombie apocalypse level. Considerations for others and preventing a prolonged pandemic just don't seem to factor for some.