Covid-19

JCon

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Keep in mind schools were also shut down and not really given the opportunity. Just before they shut down again, my sons school was getting 2 cases a week.

4 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

They shut down the schools as they were starting to ramp up.

Schools were not closed back in late fall - with daily case counts of 400 - 600.  This spring, they were not shut down province wide. 

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Schools were not closed back in late fall - with daily case counts of 400 - 600.  This spring, they were not shut down province wide. 

Good point.

The only thing I can come up with is that Children are less susceptible to Covid, but can still drive infections. The protocols in schools seem to mitigate infections (masks, ventilation and cohorts) but transmission happens when there is a break down in protocol. 

47 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Fair enough, but there where less kids in school and measures put in place...and like I mentioned the two weeks before they shut down this spring and the two weeks after we were getting emailed almost daily about cases that were in school.

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Fair enough, but there where less kids in school and measures put in place...and like I mentioned the two weeks before they shut down this spring and the two weeks after we were getting emailed almost daily about cases that were in school.

Schools outside Metro had very little or nothing of that. It seems there were other factors at play. But I don't imagine any of us will be seeing the data. 

Tennessee Health Officials Halt All Vaccine Outreach for Kids After Pressure From GOP

Though coronavirus cases are soaring and the state lags the country in vaccinations, Republicans are pushing the state's health department to pull back.

Jack Guez/Getty
The Tennessee Health Department is stopping all vaccine-related outreach to minors amid pressure from Republicans in the state and rising coronavirus cases.

The halted education efforts concern not only the COVID-19 vaccine, which the state has struggled to roll out, but all preventatives aimed at people under 18 for diseases like the flu or HPV. People over the age of 12 are eligible for coronavirus vaccines. If the agency does distribute information about vaccines, Health Commissioner Dr. Lisa Piercey informed staff to remove the department’s logo from any materials, the Tennessean reports.

Tennessee Health Officials Halt All Vaccine Outreach for Kids After Pressure From GOP (thedailybeast.com)

3 hours ago, WildPath said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/coronavirus/two-members-of-pc-caucus-not-vaccinated-574820352.html

For those without FP account - two non-named members of the PC Caucus have not been vaccinated. No reason given, but I'm willing to bet its not because of medical conditions. What are the Vegas odds on Friesen/Goertzen?

I'd put decent money on Josh Guenter being one of them...

21 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There is evidence that shows this? School in MB were the source of far fewer cases than other sources. 

Yeah, evidence shows this. But I won't go find it as it has been quoted a number of times by doctors, scientists & the news media this past year. You'll have to look for yourself. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, evidence shows this. But I won't go find it as it has been quoted a number of times by doctors, scientists & the news media this past year. You'll have to look for yourself. 

I read the reports every day. Nothing beyond "we are seeing some transmission in schools."  

When there have been some cases, one contact tracer will ask the entire cohort to isolate, while another will say they don't need isolate if everyone was wearing masks. 

It has been wildly inconsistent.  Some schools stopped wearing masks altogether, and there were no repercussions (true story). 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I read the reports every day. Nothing beyond "we are seeing some transmission in schools."  

When there have been some cases, one contact tracer will ask the entire cohort to isolate, while another will say they don't need isolate if everyone was wearing masks. 

It has been wildly inconsistent.  Some schools stopped wearing masks altogether, and there were no repercussions (true story). 

I personally know teachers that have had Covid cases in their class and argued with health officials whether others would be considered close contacts. Apparently "no school transmission" was the message and you can't go against that message. I believe there were two groups (there was at least one) that had to track Covid cases in schools with help from parents receiving letters because the government wouldn't do it.

12 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I personally know teachers that have had Covid cases in their class and argued with health officials whether others would be considered close contacts. Apparently "no school transmission" was the message and you can't go against that message. I believe there were two groups (there was at least one) that had to track Covid cases in schools with help from parents receiving letters because the government wouldn't do it.

Yeah there was a lack of transparency around where cases were coming from. Schools weren't the only ones not being discussed. I know there was an outbreak in the Police Department which was kept quite (for good reason I believe) and in the 911 call centre too. 

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

There was a lot going on and far too much inconsistency. If any semblance of all this remains in September, we will see more early retirements.