Covid-19

JCon

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I've had both shots of Pfizer and am very glad for it. I would have got whatever I was able but I am really impressed by the mrna technology  it just really feels like it could be a big step medically.

On 2021-06-27 at 1:26 PM, 17to85 said:

Because it's endorsing the shitty attitude of "someone else will handle it, no need to do anything personally"

I'm not endorsing anything. At some point we will face the reality that some people are never going to be vaccinated and Im just suggesting that It probably won't be that big of an issue so long as the larger urban center of Winnipeg has high vaccination rates.   Im not promoting anything. Just trying to have a conversation about realities. I mean..  One day the vaccinated will have to learn to live together with the unvaccinated heathens. 

5 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I'm not endorsing anything. At some point we will face the reality that some people are never going to be vaccinated and Im just suggesting that It probably won't be that big of an issue so long as the larger urban center of Winnipeg has high vaccination rates.   Im not promoting anything. Just trying to have a conversation about realities. I mean..  One day the vaccinated will have to learn to live together with the unvaccinated heathens. 

Learned? No. Forced? Yes.

47 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

No difference. 

People who refuse to get vaccinated because of laziness or because they believe nonsense and think that everyone else can just protect them can go **** themselves and they deserve the ridicule. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No difference. 

People who refuse to get vaccinated because of laziness or because they believe nonsense and think that everyone else can just protect them can go **** themselves and they deserve the ridicule. 

C'mon 17to 85, weren't those mosquitos tasty???

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So...

Scotland has 49.8% of their population FULLY vaccinated and this is how the Delta Variant is going through that population:

E5CaU3rWUAELYvN?format=jpg&name=900x900

It's higher than pre-vaccine second wave.

Let's get everyone fully vaxxed.

Just for a bit of perspective....keep in mind population density there vs here. Also, while people are contracting the virus, severe outcomes are EXTREMELY rare with double dose. From what I've read, hospitalizations and ICU admissions are staying down, even if actual daily case counts are going back up...

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Just for a bit of perspective....keep in mind population density there vs here. Also, while people are contracting the virus, severe outcomes are EXTREMELY rare with double dose. From what I've read, hospitalizations and ICU admissions are staying down, even if actual daily case counts are going back up...

Agreed- hence the urgency to get most people doubly vaxxed. :)

I really do worry about the unvaccinated population, they are the ones that are going to feel the brunt of this wave.  Another dimension is the stress on our healthcare system too.

I'm not too sure what the hospitalization and death rate for those with a single dose.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed- hence the urgency to get most people doubly vaxxed. :)

I really do worry about the unvaccinated population, they are the ones that are going to feel the brunt of this wave. 

I'm not too sure what the hospitalization and death rate for those with a single dose.

with only 33% protection vs Delta, it'll be a lot of positive cases but probably not a ton of hospital/icu.......but even still.......I'd be concerned about the so-called "Long Covid". We still don't know a LOT about the long term effects, but the early data seems to indicate there will be after-effects.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

And, in my experience, there are a lot of dense Scots out there.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

with only 33% protection vs Delta, it'll be a lot of positive cases but probably not a ton of hospital/icu.......but even still.......I'd be concerned about the so-called "Long Covid". We still don't know a LOT about the long term effects, but the early data seems to indicate there will be after-effects.

Exactly. Immunizations does not absolutely guarantee that you will not get sick from all of the variants, it means that if you do contract it/them, you will not become deathly ill, and will probably not need to be hospitalized. I cannot recall the exact number of where I read it, but I seem to recall that in the USA, there have been fewer than a dozen deaths of people who were double-vaccinated and had passed the two week post-vaccination period. I suspect that any double-dosers who do become quite ill will have underlying health issues like type1 diabetes or other compromised immune system issues.  

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

And, in my experience, there are a lot of dense Scots out there.

Careful Tracker, those are my people and my favorite vaction place.      Actually a few weeks ago I was reading they have a similar issue as Manitoba does. Generally good vacc numbers but with pockets of really bad vacc numbers. Its a pretty good forecaster of what will happen here.

Just now, the watcher said:

Careful Tracker, those are my people and my favorite vaction place.      Actually a few weeks ago I was reading they have a similar issue as Manitoba does. Generally good vacc numbers but with pockets of really bad vacc numbers. Its a pretty good forecaster of what will happen here.

But do you know why the Scots wear kilts?

On 2021-06-28 at 1:09 PM, rebusrankin said:

Southern Health is roughly 15% lower than Interlake, Northern and Prairie Mountain (54% instead of 69%) and 21% lower than Winnipeg which is over 75%. Even areas such as Downtown Winnipeg and Point Douglas where there are more transient populations or populations that may lack vehicles, net access or phones have much higher rates than Winkler, Morden and Stanley among others, in fact as the entire Southern region so no twisting speaking truthfully.

Morden rates are pretty good but they have a super site and Winkler not.  People from Winkler don't go to Morden but people from morden come to Winkler so it was a strange decision.  Winkler also has an issue of being dominated by less progressive Mennonites than you see in Steinbach. I'm hoping that after my brother's idea of creating "I've been vaccinated" stickers in low German as well was adopted by the Manitoba government it will help improve vaccination rates particularly amongst elderly Mennonites. My understanding is that Winkler had quite a few people who literally think that covid 19 doesn't exist.  You won't win these people over. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

So, so, sad. 

We should have built more hospitals years ago. Manitoba's inadequate Healthcare capacity is really exposed under pressure. I'd rather have two tiered health than one inadequate tier.

8 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Morden rates are pretty good but they have a super site and Winkler not.  People from Winkler don't go to Morden but people from morden come to Winkler so it was a strange decision.  Winkler also has an issue of being dominated by less progressive Mennonites than you see in Steinbach. I'm hoping that after my brother's idea of creating "I've been vaccinated" stickers in low German as well was adopted by the Manitoba government it will help improve vaccination rates particularly amongst elderly Mennonites. My understanding is that Winkler had quite a few people who literally think that covid 19 doesn't exist.  You won't win these people over. 

We should have built more hospitals years ago. Manitoba's inadequate Healthcare capacity is really exposed under pressure. I'd rather have two tiered health than one inadequate tier.

They just need a free pancake breakfast and you would have a lineup blocks long

15 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Two tier medicine? No thanks. This is what this gov't wanted - cut resources, then say they can't keep up... voila! Two tier medicine. 

16 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

They just need a free pancake breakfast and you would have a lineup blocks long

when I worked in Winkler, our annual "Customer Appreciation" Free Hotdog BBQ thing we did every June was bonkers. Lines seemingly endless and never ending...I'll never forget that. If something is free, they come out in droves...