Covid-19

JCon

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there's no question that there's a race between vaccinations and the Delta variant, but I do believe that between AB's population density and how quickly they're getting vaccines into arms, we're at least better positioned against a potential 4th wave. I'm still confident, just based on all the reading I've done. 

In a better place than MB? Absolutely. That is a a low bar... we have the highest ingrown rate north of the Mexican border. But what is happening in the UK is a glimpse of what is gong to happen,  unless something different is done. 

Throwing the province wide open with only 25% of the population being fully vaccinated... that is not learning from other's mistakes. 

32 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

In a better place than MB? Absolutely. That is a a low bar... we have the highest ingrown rate north of the Mexican border. But what is happening in the UK is a glimpse of what is gong to happen,  unless something different is done. 

Throwing the province wide open with only 25% of the population being fully vaccinated... that is not learning from other's mistakes. 

See, I think the UK thing might not necessarily happen because of the difference in population density. UK is the entire population of Canada in a space the size of Alberta. 

I'm not saying that what Alberta is doing right....I'm not saying the UK situation ISN'T going to happen here....I'm just saying that it's not for sure, and there's absolutely legitimate reasons why it might not happen here.

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

See, I think the UK thing might not necessarily happen because of the difference in population density. UK is the entire population of Canada in a space the size of Alberta. 

I'm not saying that what Alberta is doing right....I'm not saying the UK situation ISN'T going to happen here....I'm just saying that it's not for sure, and there's absolutely legitimate reasons why it might not happen here.

66 million in a space the size of a prairie province so even more so.

Infectious Disease Expert Warns ‘We’re Not Done With This Virus At All’

Michael Osterholm doubted there would be future national surges in COVID-19 but said “substantial” local and regional ones were a possibility. Infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm warned Friday of the possibility of “substantial” local and regional surges of COVID-19, telling CNN’s Poppy Harlow that “we’re not done with this virus at all.”

Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, doubted there would be another national surge because of the scale of the United States’ vaccination program, which to date has seen more than 175 million Americans receive at least one shot.

But Osterholm said more localized surges could occur if the highly transmissible Delta variant takes hold in the U.S., where it is now quickly spreading.

The variant first identified in India has already become the dominant strain of the virus in the United Kingdom, where rising cases have forced the delay of easing lockdown restrictions.

Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Friday that the Delta variant will “probably” become the most dominant in America. Osterholm agreed, noting its ability to evade the immunity provided by a single dose of one of the two-dose vaccines.

20 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Kenney will argue that the AZ vaccine is inferior & England based everything on that. Better yet, he was told by his stupic caucus to open the province up & have the Stampede. Then kick him out when we shut the province down again.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

We'll never be done with Covid... But we can learn to live with it as long as people get vaccinated. 

"There are only three Covid-19 patients at Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital at North Shore University Hospital, on Long Island, New York — a far cry from when the hospital, which is part of Northwell Health, had as many as 600 patients during the peak of the pandemic.

All three patients, who are in the intensive care unit, have one thing in common, said Dr. Hugh Cassiere, director of the hospital's critical care services: They're unvaccinated.

The trend appears to be occurring at hospitals nationwide.

"I haven't had anyone that's been fully vaccinated become critically ill," said Dr. Josh Denson, a pulmonary medicine and critical care physician at Tulane University Medical Center in New Orleans."

nbc news.

Edited by Mark F

31 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Need to work on the Southern Health region. Cases rising there. Not a surprise that they have the lowest Vax rate (52%). If they were even at the next lowest region which is about 14% more, as a province we'd be at 73.2% first dosed versus 71. Seemingly they're going to end up messing things up for the rest of us.

ah yes even if Winnipeg does end up flattening the curve all over again we're still going to have a problem in certain regions

the hanover and sunrise school divisions have some cases in their schools 

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Need to work on the Southern Health region. Cases rising there. Not a surprise that they have the lowest Vax rate (52%). If they were even at the next lowest region which is about 14% more, as a province we'd be at 73.2% first dosed versus 71. Seemingly they're going to end up messing things up for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, those are mostly people who don't take any kind of vaccine, it's not just covid.  Yet, 99% of them vaccinate their animals.