Covid-19

JCon

57 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Pfizer shots disappearing all over the province. Cannot book ahead for Pfizer now at Leila, RBC, Selkirk, Steinbach, Gimli, or The Pas. Government tweeted out that theyre not expecting many Pfizer shots to be delivered during the rest of this month and into July. Managed to book a Pzifer shot for July 16, but ill be heading out to Morden to get it lol. At least someone will be using their shots.

What about the 2 clinics on Pembina and Kenaston?

EDIT: They appear to have disappeared.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

7 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Would be nice if there was clarification on this. Ive also heard many times over the last couple days that you can mix and match pfizer and moderna. I even heard on CJOB yesterday one of the doctors in charge encouraging listeners to mix in order to get both doses faster. If thats the case and the site is blocking pfizer people from choosing moderna, thats horseshit and needs to be corrected like yesterday. Ill gladly add a moderna to my pfizer and save myself a month+ of waiting.

And after saying that i go book a Pfizer in Morden for July 16 lol.

Also, for those weary about mixing vaccines, here is an article that discusses this. It looks promising.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/coronavirus-outbreak/pharma-executives-seeking-higher-immunity-mix-own-covid-shots

“If you can mix and match, it’s going to look better, something that immunologists have known for decades,” said Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial College London. “I’d bet my house on the working hypothesis that it’s doable and would produce immunity that’s at least as good if not better.” Early research appears to back the approach. A study of almost 700 people in Spain showed that those who received a second dose of Pfizer’s vaccine after a first Astra shot saw their neutralizing antibodies climb sevenfold, significantly higher than those who had two Astra doses. A small trial in Germany suggested that mixing Astra and Pfizer shots could trigger antibody responses almost four times higher than a two-dose course of the Pfizer vaccine."

13 hours ago, Tracker said:

There was a report on CBC radio this afternoon that some of the vaccination supercenters are taking walk-ins.

Yes, the Province announced earlier in the day that many of the supersites will have ongoing walk up availability. The availability at the Leila supersite went fast yesterday. 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Second dose eligibility dropped:

Except for children 12-17, which we kinda knew from what was said yesterday.  Tried booking my kids in on the off chance that I could, but the system wouldn't let me.

6 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Just became eligible for my 2nd Pfizer dose today but there was nothing available at RBC, Leila, or Steinbach. For Moderna at RBC you could get in as early as Wednesday afternoon (June 23rd).

Per the vaccine eligibility website:

Information about Second Doses

It is recommended that people receive the same mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) for their 1st and 2nd doses where possible. However, these vaccines are considered equivalent, and both are safe and effective.

When the same vaccine is not readily available, you can book an appointment for either Pfizer or Moderna as the 2nd dose. Individuals can also choose to book the earliest vaccine available to them for their 2nd dose.  You do not have to wait to receive the same brand of vaccine as your 1st dose.

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Whoa, Did Kenny just announce that Alberta is lifting ALL restrictions Canada day? With only 25% people fully vaccinated? 

This is not going to end well. Hello 4th wave Alberta. 

Madness.

I think their Minister of Health just said that yeah, a lot of people died but they weren't really healthy. Death to the weak is bold conservative strategy. 

15 minutes ago, bustamente said:

It looks like we are going to hit the bench mark of 25% second dose early next week so in all probability the reopening plan will be set in motion and they might not wait till July 1st

They'll make the changes next week, as the current health orders are set to expire on June 26th. By then (the 22th to 24th), we'll have 25% with 2nd doses and they can "let us" have a more open Canada Day. Provided, the cases, TPR and hospitalizations continue to drop.  

Gee, it's almost like the Federal Government has been saying since November, that everyone who wants one will have a first dose by the end of June and second dose by the end of September. 

Keep in mind, Alberta is also WAY ahead of you guys in terms of bending the current curve. We have around 150 cases/day with a population about 4x that of Manitoba. Down to about 250 hospital // 50 ICU. And our vaccines are flowing pretty good. So while agree that a slow and steady approach would be better, this province is in a much better position to throw open the doors than most others...

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Keep in mind, Alberta is also WAY ahead of you guys in terms of bending the current curve. We have around 150 cases/day with a population about 4x that of Manitoba. Down to about 250 hospital // 50 ICU. And our vaccines are flowing pretty good. So while agree that a slow and steady approach would be better, this province is in a much better position to throw open the doors than most others...

3rd Wave: Yo, did you see what I did just did to Alberta?

4th Wave: Hold my beer. 

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

3rd Wave: Yo, did you see what I did just did to Alberta?

4th Wave: Hold my beer. 

there's no question that there's a race between vaccinations and the Delta variant, but I do believe that between AB's population density and how quickly they're getting vaccines into arms, we're at least better positioned against a potential 4th wave. I'm still confident, just based on all the reading I've done.