Covid-19

JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

April 25th and before can now book their second vaccine shot. 

@Sard 

Thanks, I actually just booked it.  Got in for this Saturday at Pure Lifestyle on Empress.

Otherwise I was looking at the beginning of July at RBC and Leila.

https://www.purewinnipeg.com/covid-19-vaccination-clinic

In regards to Vaccine passports, how long are those required to enter public spaces?

What do you end up doing to people who can’t be vaccinated due to other health concerns?

if you are fully vaccinated, with its high efficacy rate, does it really affect you that much if you are in a space with unvaccinated people?

People who can be vaccinated need to get off their ass and get vaccinated  

1 minute ago, Rich said:

In regards to Vaccine passports, how long are those required to enter public spaces?

What do you end up doing to people who can’t be vaccinated due to other health concerns?

if you are fully vaccinated, with its high efficacy rate, does it really affect you that much if you are in a space with unvaccinated people?

People who can be vaccinated need to get off their ass and get vaccinated  

I think if you have a condition that legitimately doesn't allow you to be vaccinated, then your vaccine passport would reflect that.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I see the vaccine passport as a short-term measure until the virus is virtually eradicated. I'm not sure how long that will take but the quicker everyone gets vaccinated, the better. 

I could see it being a permanent thing showing your whole vaccination record.  This would be usable when you travel to the tropical places and require certain vaccinations to be able to go there.

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

I could see it being a permanent thing showing your whole vaccination record.  This would be usable when you travel to the tropical places and require certain vaccinations to be able to go there.

Yes, for travel. But, we already have that for many countries. 

I'm referring only to internal movement and attending events. I don't want to have to provide evidence perpetually when I go to IGF. We should aim to have these measures only for a period of time. Fingers crossed, it won't be necessary after too long. 

Edited by JCon

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Mine are both in University and have done better grades-wise than I could have imagined. But hard to say what the social distancing has done to them. My daughter has been in a long distance mostly online relationship for the past year, so she has coped. I feel like I can never get back what my son lost in the last 15 months. He graduated high school last year, was 3 days away from his senior school play. After 4 years of bit parts, finally had the lead role in his last play, only to have it cancelled when classes shut down that very week. He also lost out on his senior trip overseas which was a week later. And we had to cancel our family trip in the summer to Europe as a grad gift. Basically everything he was looking forward to was taken away, and they postponed grad 3 times up to October before they finally nixed it. Now a full year of online classes and he has said to me “do you think I will ever get a girlfriend?” since he has had to isolate for the better part of a year now instead of attending campus in his first year of university. Can’t imagine what this has done to the mental health of adolescents who crave this social interaction as part of their development. 

Lucky to get an appointment moved up to today thanks to cancellations and being available at the right time,  so I now have my second vaccination too! Kids have their first, and my wife in health care has her double dose. Good day for me!

I'm so glad my 2 sons are adults & are married. My youngest would have not done well remote learning. He struggled at times in junior high with paying attention & he went to school everyday. Being on his own to learn away from his friends would have been hard. Plus he loved sports. When he was 14 he played bantam football & basketball. Not having those 2 outlets would have been frustrating for him. maybe even a life changer as football took him to the US to play, coach & eventually live.

My eldest would have adapted. He was a smart kid & now a smart adult but he would have been very unhappy not seeing his friends so in that sense he would been frustrated if he was 16 or 17. I've no doubt that he could have handled the on line learning part.

Just glad we never had to handle what parents & their kids have to handle now.

I have one child doing remote work, some days are good some days not so much. Personally, I love it when I'm able to be home with him. I suppose the fact that I'm not at home 5 days a week likely makes it easier for me than someone who is with their kids 24/7.

I do feel for the teachers, those morning meetings with multiple kids just look/sound real annoying lol. Between the constant interruptions and being told they look tired, I don't know how the teachers don't lose their ****! lol.

We just found out that my kids teacher is prego too. At home with a toddler, pregnant AND having to do remote teaching. GIVER HER A RAISE!!

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm so glad my 2 sons are adults & are married. My youngest would have not done well remote learning. He struggled at times in junior high with paying attention & he went to school everyday. Being on his own to learn away from his friends would have been hard. Plus he loved sports. When he was 14 he played bantam football & basketball. Not having those 2 outlets would have been frustrating for him. maybe even a life changer as football took him to the US to play, coach & eventually live.

My eldest would have adapted. He was a smart kid & now a smart adult but he would have been very unhappy not seeing his friends so in that sense he would been frustrated if he was 16 or 17. I've no doubt that he could have handled the on line learning part.

Just glad we never had to handle what parents & their kids have to handle now.

I'm just glad that this happened long after I became an adult, it's bad enough that the flood of 97' upended our annual trip to Grand Forks then (we ended up staying 2 nights in Brandon). I would have hated to see all my summer normals to be upended, no day camps, no trips, etc

1 hour ago, Sard said:

Your vaccination history is already part of your medical record.  I don't think we want to give the ticket takers at IGF access to PHIMS, plus your medical record is private.

Here's the thing.... we have to show our driver's license to get into some places, to show you're of age. I think showing that you're vaccinated could be a similar procedure. Maybe it's something that's worked into your DL or existing travel passport?? Whatever it takes, I'm all for it. It's not even about knowing that everyone in there's been vaccinated...it's knowing that morons aren't allowed in. Distancing myself from stupid people is a lifelong goal.

Just now, Noeller said:

Here's the thing.... we have to show our driver's license to get into some places, to show you're of age. I think showing that you're vaccinated could be a similar procedure. Maybe it's something that's worked into your DL or existing travel passport?? Whatever it takes, I'm all for it. It's not even about knowing that everyone in there's been vaccinated...it's knowing that morons aren't allowed in. Distancing myself from stupid people is a lifelong goal.

And again:

seinfeld___good_luck_with_all_that.jpg

18 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I'm just glad that this happened long after I became an adult, it's bad enough that the flood of 97' upended our annual trip to Grand Forks then (we ended up staying 2 nights in Brandon). I would have hated to see all my summer normals to be upended, no day camps, no trips, etc

My youngest would have been devastated. He really liked basketball but he absolutely LOVED FOOTBALL WITH A PASSION. Having that taken away would have been so sad.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think vax passports are a great idea. Let the anti vaxxers stay at home & rot for all I care. They deserve it.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My youngest would have been devastated. He really liked basketball but he absolutely LOVED FOOTBALL WITH A PASSION. Having that taken away would have been so sad.

I think vax passports are a great idea. Let the anti vaxxers stay at home & rot for all I care. They deserve it.

also probably a good thing I didn't start paying attention to sports until I was finished with High School (likely because I had time on my hands then)

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My son lost 2 years of High School field lacrosse after winning Provincials in Grade 10.  It's the only sport he was ever passionate about.

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

And yet I know who your long term friends are.....

In all this, there are some valuable learnings. For children (and some adults), there is the lesson that the welfare of all is the responsibility of all, and at times our individual wishes necessarily are subordinate  to the well-being of others. It is the price we pay for being in community and being a part of the whole. It has also revealed that there are those among us (and some in positions of power) who are willing to ignore the welfare of others to pursue their individual agendas. In times of crisis, we reveal the true "us", the true selves we keep hidden for good reasons. Power can be a drug that drives selflessness or the worst parts of our egos.

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And yet I know who your long term friends are.....

The second best curler to ever come out of Ashern, Manitoba once said "hey, my friends aren't stupid, they're just lazy, and I can respect that".......... :)