Covid-19

JCon

23 hours ago, 17to85 said:

which is a shame cause the Chinese one is pretty underwhelming compared to the other. 

Agreed, and its worse than that. Many of our pharmaceuticals are manufactured in China with little or no independent oversight. I see that as a time bomb waiting to go off.

Edited by Tracker

On 2021-05-28 at 11:34 PM, 17to85 said:

I can definitively say that Alberta would have been better off with Rachel. 

Maybe so...but realistically Alberta's version of the NDP is far to the right of the political spectrum than any other provinces version of the NDP. If Manitoba's NDP were Alberta's NDP I would vote for them too.

22 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

We also need to ramp up and be part of some coalition to help vaccine the poorest countries... I mean check this map:

Until we get the world taken care of... there are going to be constant threats of new variants and immense loss of life.

Agreed...in a couple months when we have the pandemic under control here our work can't stop.

On 2021-05-31 at 11:25 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

We also need to ramp up and be part of some coalition to help vaccine the poorest countries... I mean check this map:

Until we get the world taken care of... there are going to be constant threats of new variants and immense loss of life.

Least we can do since the evidence is mounting that Canada is indirectly responsible for this whole covid mess.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Going to ask this question in good faith: how so?

Well some pretty damning reports about Chinese state sponsored scientists from Wuhan stealing from the Canadian Virology lab here in Winnipeg and some investigations suggesting that Covid leaked from that very same lab and did not come from bats. It doesn't necessarily mean we are responsible for Covid....but we might be.

28 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Well some pretty damning reports about Chinese state sponsored scientists from Wuhan stealing from the Canadian Virology lab here in Winnipeg and some investigations suggesting that Covid leaked from that very same lab and did not come from bats. It doesn't necessarily mean we are responsible for Covid....but we might be.

Even if that were true (hooboy), I'm not sure how being the victim of espionage makes Canada somehow complicit. 

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

this is straight out of The Epoch Times, which makes Ezra Levant seem like Elizabeth May........... just bonkers stuff.

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

WHO announced this morning about the Variant name change 

A significant drop, thank God.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Describe your post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

ihwKIw3.gif

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-variants-vaccine-setback-1.6046643

Variants of the coronavirus sweeping through parts of the globe are a stark reminder that despite the increase in vaccinations in North America, there are still millions of people at risk of infection.

Allowing the virus to run amok in other countries also risks putting the entire world in jeopardy and losing any gains made through COVID-19 vaccinations, some scientists suggest.

That's because the more opportunities the virus has to spread, the more likely it is to mutate, said Dr. Priya Sampathkumar, chair of infection prevention and control at the Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic.

"If we allow infection to spread unchecked, in a month or two months or inevitably at some point in time, we'll have another variant that completely escapes all the vaccine," Sampathkumar said.

"We will be back to square one. We [will] have an entire world's population that will be completely non immune and at risk for dying."

This is troubling, to say the least. Especially as the world "re-opens" with vaccination rates increasing in first world countries.

24 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-variants-vaccine-setback-1.6046643

This is troubling, to say the least. Especially as the world "re-opens" with vaccination rates increasing in first world countries.

If not just for appealing to ones own humanity, there are other reasons we should be helping poorer countries get their population vaccinated:

- If we want things to actually go back to normal, we need to stop VoCs, these are the largest threat to us getting back to normal. VoCs originate easily in a population where the virus burns through the population unrestricted. Vaccinated populace helps prevent the rise in VoCs.

-The IMF projects that a $50 billion investment into vaccine roll out in the poorest of countries, would generate returns of $9 trillion in the global economy. 

-lastly, it's the right thing to do.

34 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Guess they bought some freezers from Costco. Now they must have AZ for people who got the 1st shot though.

As of Monday, anyone who had AZ for 1st dose qualifies for any of the 3 vaccines for the 2nd dose.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

And, as of now, anyone who had their first vaccine on or before April 20th can book their second shot. 

I just booked downtown for June 15th. Giddy up! 

How did you find out that they updated the date?  I ask because my first dose was on April 23rd and I want to catch it as soon as they update (hopefully tomorrow).  The website is still showing the update from yesterday.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Anyone gone to Leila location?

Friends of mine have.  From what I've heard it sounds like it's setup very much the same as RBC.  Bunch of chairs where you sit and the vaccinator is rolling up and down the lines with a rolling chair and people following behind to do the paperwork.

Just now, Sard said:

How did you find out that they updated the date?  I ask because my first dose was on April 23rd and I want to catch it as soon as they update (hopefully tomorrow).  The website is still showing the update from yesterday.

I follow Scott Billeck and Bartley Kives on Twitter. They're both very fast at updating this info. 

But, you can also login each morning to check. Sometimes they update it before they announce it. 

5 minutes ago, Sard said:

Friends of mine have.  From what I've heard it sounds like it's setup very much the same as RBC.  Bunch of chairs where you sit and the vaccinator is rolling up and down the lines with a rolling chair and people following behind to do the paperwork.

If you're planning on going to Leila, just note that it is now a Moderna-only location. Downtown if you want Pfizer.