Covid-19

JCon

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Folks, the NDP in 2016 was a mess and that had been the case for a few years. The gov't had lost most of their talented MLAs. It needed "renewal" in a very big way. Sellinger's arrogance giftwrapped the province to the Cons. 

True enough, but Pallister ran on reducing the retail sales tax by 1% and scrapping bipole III.  Ford ran on $1 beer.  Kenny ran on making oil great again.

How'd that work out for everyone again?

28 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

True enough, but Pallister ran on reducing the retail sales tax by 1% and scrapping bipole III.  Ford ran on $1 beer.  Kenny ran on making oil great again.

this. They all ran on Lowest Common Denominator.....nobody ever went poor betting on the stupidest among us.

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this. They all ran on Lowest Common Denominator.....nobody ever went poor betting on the stupidest among us.

About as well as one would expect however the shitshows that came before them paved the way. One can't sit and say that any of these provinces would have been better off under their predecessors. When given the chance they failed epically...especially in Manitoba..who overwhelmingly decided to take out the trash. All these provinces may decide to do so next election again and maybe rightfully so but some of the posters on here pretending that the NDP or Liberals are some kind of beacons in a dark night are truly delusional. They better get a heck of a lot better than the last time they governed or its just a plug your nose and vote scenario.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Pallister ran on reducing spending and fiscal responsibility after the NDP almost bankrupted us and he won back to back massive majorities based on that. Covid will likely be his government's undoing because it is a no win situation but if you guys think Wobbly Canoe the woman beater is a step up then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Did they really, though?

No offense but that is truly a stupid question. Just really dumb. The Selinger NDP government was completely inept and dysfunctional.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Pallister ran on reducing spending and fiscal responsibility after the NDP almost bankrupted us and he won back to back massive majorities based on that. Covid will likely be his government's undoing because it is a no win situation but if you guys think Wobbly Canoe the woman beater is a step up then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

No offense but that is truly a stupid question. Just really dumb. The Selinger NDP government was completely inept and dysfunctional.

The Manitoba government was still owed over $600 million in flood costs from the Feds when Pallister first came into power.  Federal transfers increased dramatically since then.  

If the finances were such a mess, the deficit wouldn't have been so easy to crawl out of.

I don't consider the provincial NDP or Federal Liberals beacons in the night, but I at least know that their governing style isn't governed by thinking "the cruelty is the point".

8 hours ago, JCon said:

Folks, the NDP in 2016 was a mess and that had been the case for a few years. The gov't had lost most of their talented MLAs. It needed "renewal" in a very big way. Sellinger's arrogance giftwrapped the province to the Cons. 

This true. I vote NDP in this province but even i voted PC because the NDP needed to be burned to the ground to start fresh. It had to be gutted.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

And how did the budget get balanced? The transfer payments from Ottawa are a billion dollars higher - the balanced budget has little or nothing to do with Pallister or his policies. 

16 hours ago, JCon said:

This is true, and I did vote PC in 2016.  But it quickly became apparent that 2 or 3 people were calling all the shots in the government. So, I don't think we are much further ahead.  And I think the NDP's financial mismanagement got blown out of proportion.  It sure was a quick fix A.K.A more $$ from Ottawa. 

I think we badly need voting reforms in Manitoba. We desperately need a third party to prevent the other two from getting majorities. Its hard to be a "anyone but NDP/PC" voter when there are pretty much only two options. The trashy PC legislation being passed now would at the very least be able to be tempered if they had a minority. Same goes with the previous NDP majority.

I'm fortunate to have Lamont as my MLA, so I can't really go wrong. I'm not really a partisan voter, but I'm a big fan of the provincial liberals lately. Elsewhere its hard to hold a party accountable unless you are okay with the other side getting a majority. Your view of an NDP/PC government in power depends on your perspective, but having a legitimate third party to moderate either and reduce majority governments would be good for all Manitobans, regardless of political views.

I'm hoping Covid is the nail in the PC coffin that keeps them out of power for a long time much like how the reign of Filmon kept them out for a long time. I'm also hoping the horrendous legislation introduce this year is a reminder to all what happens when PCs get a majority here.

13 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Pallister ran on reducing spending and fiscal responsibility after the NDP almost bankrupted us and he won back to back massive majorities based on that.

Not sure how reducing revenues through eliminating sales tax and property taxes helps with fiscal responsibility. The reality is that reducing revenues in this way gets rid of progressive taxes which will only create a greater divide between rich and poor in the province. Those who are fortunate to own property, or even better multiple expensive properties, benefit the most from this. Sure, we can cut services (they'll tell you its just trimming the fat and removing waste), but that disproportionately affects those who don't have deep pockets. Enough with the bs about them doing something good for the province, its clear who they rule for.

Giving Manitoban's a rebate cheque instead of just reducing the property tax seems to be purely buying votes. Unless there is some rule I am unaware of that the property tax can't just be lowered without a separate cheque going out.

Edited by WildPath

7 RIP! Fuuuuddddggggeee

• A man in his 60s from the Interlake-Eastern health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern
• A man in his 70s from the Northern health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern
• A man in his 70s from the Southern Health- Santé Sud health region
• A man in his 70s from the Southern Health region, linked to an unspecified variant of concern
• A man in his 40s from the Winnipeg Health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern
• A man in his 60s from the Winnipeg Health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern
• A man in his 70s from the Winnipeg Health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg