Covid-19

JCon

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

He should be charged as a criminal because that's what he is. Are people talking about these closures? 

Winnipeg had 73 ICU beds in January 2017. Then Victoria, Concordia, Seven Oaks and more get trimmed or axed, leaving us with 55 by January 2020. I just don't know that people really cared if it didn't effect them directly. This pandemic is exposing it to everyone, rather than the few impacted at rare peak/overflow times being the only ones to learn the awful truth.

Someone in the PC government said 'look at all these empty beds, you aren't even using them!' The NDP had been overspending on healthcare, like drunken pirates we were told. Bet the 6 families are glad we were able to tighten our belts. SMH. I get that tough decisions need to be made by the people at the top, but honestly, this is embarrassing and shameful.

It really gets my goat. They were warned repeatedly, and they didn't just ignore advice... they scorned it and the people that were giving it. Said they were just trying to stir up trouble. Ugh. No, stirring up trouble is mentioning the fact you've been working without a contract for over 4 years. These people were sounding the alarm bells for OUR safety. But.. nobody that could do anything about it, seemed to care...

8 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Winnipeg had 73 ICU beds in January 2017. Then Victoria, Concordia, Seven Oaks and more get trimmed or axed, leaving us with 55 by January 2020. I just don't know that people really cared if it didn't effect them directly. This pandemic is exposing it to everyone, rather than the few impacted at rare peak/overflow times being the only ones to learn the awful truth.

Someone in the PC government said 'look at all these empty beds, you aren't even using them!' The NDP had been overspending on healthcare, like drunken pirates we were told. Bet the 6 families are glad we were able to tighten our belts. SMH. I get that tough decisions need to be made by the people at the top, but honestly, this is embarrassing and shameful.

Agreed. Pallister needs to be held accountable. These deaths were totally preventable. To me, it's a criminal act. His government killed them. 

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

It really gets my goat. They were warned repeatedly, and they didn't just ignore advice... they scorned it and the people that were giving it. Said they were just trying to stir up trouble. Ugh. No, stirring up trouble is mentioning the fact you've been working without a contract for over 4 years. These people were sounding the alarm bells for OUR safety. But.. nobody that could do anything about it, seemed to care...

So, what's going to happen now? kenney wants to do the same here after lamenting how he didn't want to see the ICU be overrun. He wants to cut healthcare... still. I doubt there'll be much of an appetite for that here. 

Blame the government all you want, ultimately the blame lies on the shoulders of the braindead scumbag ***holes that dont give a s***. Its these pricks that dont follow health orders, dont get tested when theyre symptomatic, dont cooperate with contact tracers, and refuse to get the vaccine. These are the POS people that are costing lives.

I hate the argument of but but but, you didnt make it harder for people to break the rules. The regulations would have been enough if people werent complete sacks of trash

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Blame the government all you want, ultimately the blame lies on the shoulders of the braindead scumbag ***holes that dont give a s***. Its these pricks that dont follow health orders, dont get tested when theyre symptomatic, and dont cooperate with contact tracers. These are the POS people that are costing lives.

Yes, these greasy pricks are helping absolutely no-one. We have roads to fix, I'd like to put them on a chain gang til they figure it out. But these people didn't cut 18 ICU beds over the last 4 years.

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yes, these greasy pricks are helping absolutely no-one. We have roads to fix, I'd like to put them on a chain gang til they figure it out. But these people didn't cut 18 ICU beds over the last 4 years.

18 ICU beds is mice nuts and would make no difference 100% of the time when there is no pandemic. The system was completely broken and hemorrhaging our tax dollars before the overhaul. Lets not forget it was the NDP government that asked for the outside independent audit but didnt have the balls to make the changes it called for. Blaming Pallister for where we are is scapegoating.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

They have a year to plan for more icu beds but did nothing until recently when they added 6 beds way to little way to late, but again those who choose not to get vaccinated and are now in need are the biggest contributors to our problems. 

Edited by bustamente

9 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Blame the government all you want, ultimately the blame lies on the shoulders of the braindead scumbag ***holes that dont give a s***. Its these pricks that dont follow health orders, dont get tested when theyre symptomatic, dont cooperate with contact tracers, and refuse to get the vaccine. These are the POS people that are costing lives.

I hate the argument of but but but, you didnt make it harder for people to break the rules. The regulations would have been enough if people werent complete sacks of trash

We have the same here. Kenney talks a big game about enforcement here & then does nothing because he's afraid of upsetting his base by arresting pastors who seem to have their flock under some kind of mind ciontrol. His wanting to cut nurses & ICU beds once the pandemic is over is just crazy. 

35 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Because we live in a country of few natural disasters, war, religious persecutions & insurrections. Our lives are mostly peaceful so people get lulled into a false sense of security & governments can use that as an excuse to pass along their political agendas. 

The situation is bad enough - overreacting to it helps no one.

1. 60% of the population now has at least 1 shot. 

2. They announced today that 70% of the people in hospital have not been immunized.  Were those people eligible for the shot?  If so, for how long?

WE DON'T KNOW.  Therefore, no one can say "the people who chose not to get vaccinated are the problem." 

3. Cutting 18 ICU beds was not necessary

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

18 ICU beds is mice nuts and would make no difference 100% of the time when there is no pandemic. The system was completely broken and hemorrhaging our tax dollars before the overhaul. Lets not forget it was the NDP government that asked for the outside independent audit but didnt have the balls to make the changes it called for. Blaming Pallister for where we are is scapegoating.

What an amazing overhaul that has turned out to be. 

They are overhauling education - to save 40 million dollars by getting parents to do some of the work for free. Again - amazing thought process

The truth is, they hired a consultant who made the same recommendations that were made in Nova Scotia - almost 90% identical

The only difference that I can see so far: in Nova Scotia they kept school divisions intact but amalgamated them.  Here, the system will be gutted by 2022, and Education will be governed from the Leg. 

Now, I don't know as much about the health care overhaul, but the way education is being done should set off some serious alarm bells.

57 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

If I follow your logic, it makes no sense to have insurance on your house or car. After all, they're OK at the moment, right? Why plan for the eventuality that you might run into trouble? The system was NOT broken before Pallister came to power. There were inefficiencies, and there will always be, both on healthcare and every organization,  but the province has been through this slash and burn of healthcare twice now- once with Pallister and  under Filmon.  The difference was that there was no pandemic for Filmon, but healthcare suffered- just less obviously.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I mean I don't want to get all political it's f'ing exhausting. All I know is the doctors warned back in 2017 when the proposed cuts were made that using average occupancy rates for ICU's was basically ******** if you want to be prepared for a pandemic. Simply, ICU's are supposed to be mostly empty. If they are full, you are in trouble. Without knowing COVID-19 was a thing they were able to tell us that we had nowhere near what we needed if cuts were enacted. Warnings were ignored and cuts were made. Then the pandemic came and these same doctors penned a letter warning that, as a direct result of our limited ICU capacity we had to do everything we could to avoid an outbreak. They were called troublemakers and ignored. These are all facts, I'm not scapegoating anyone. If you think 18 beds don't matter when we are exporting our patients to neighboring provinces while cardiac patients die in their beds awaiting surgery then I really don't know what to tell you. There is all sorts of blame to go around but only certain people are in a position to make things happen.

Edited by MOBomberFan
I said 'R-worded'

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

I mean I don't want to get all political it's f'ing exhausting. All I know is the doctors warned back in 2017 when the proposed cuts were made that using average occupancy rates for ICU's was basically ******** if you want to be prepared for a pandemic. Simply, ICU's are supposed to be mostly empty. If they are full, you are in trouble. Without knowing COVID-19 was a thing they were able to tell us that we had nowhere near what we needed if cuts were enacted. Warnings were ignored and cuts were made. Then the pandemic came and these same doctors penned a letter warning that, as a direct result of our limited ICU capacity we had to do everything we could to avoid an outbreak. They were called troublemakers and ignored. These are all facts, I'm not scapegoating anyone. If you think 18 beds don't matter when we are exporting our patients to neighboring provinces while cardiac patients die in their beds awaiting surgery then I really don't know what to tell you. There is all sorts of blame to go around but only certain people are in a position to make things happen.

Absolutely agree. Those 18 beds would have made a big difference. 

Now my own father has had his non-emergency non-elective surgery pushed back twice now. Its not life threatening, only agonizing and detrimental to his day to day life. But hey, on the plus side, at least we saved those tax dollars on those unused ICU beds. Well, back to begging the Feds for money and nurses, shipping patients to Ontario and the US, and ignoring doctors as they plead, yet again, for a stay at home order since current restrictions aren't being enforced.

We are on the Titanic without enough lifeboats. Only we knew the iceberg was out there years before leaving port, and we sailed ahead anyways.

Edited by MOBomberFan

Manitoba Nurses has been a good follow. They've exposed the lie about hiring 60 more ICU nurses. Unfortunately you just can't trust the announcements they make.

One of the saddest things about the response by the government is the misinformation and blaming others/not accepting any responsibility - "We've got this. Doctors are trying to create chaos". When media report on their transgressions they are labelled as biased/fake news (pretty scary considering what that's led to down south) and used as a means of fundraising to fight the evil media.

There's definitely a lot of blame to be carried on the shoulders of those resisting restrictions/masks/vaccinations - I would be much more comfortable if they would just choose one of the three to resist. Morden/Winkler area reporting between 0-20% vaccinated - its just a hair over 10% to be exact (the big white spot on the map). The Southern region altogether has 20% lower vaccination rates than every other area. https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/vaccine/reports.html

The PCs really need to accept a large amount of the blame rather than using the pandemic as an smoke screen to introduce really bad legislation. They started a campaign to attract tourism, actually paid money, in the middle of a pandemic, to attract tourism and large events. When that eventually bit us in the ass (somehow they assumed Manitoba was immune despite trying to attract tourism from surrounding hotspots) they refused to do hiring to do adequate contract tracing and suggest Manitobans need to volunteer to help out.

Now we've been bit again despite having the good fortune of having our waves delayed compared to every area in Canada/US. We have not heeded warnings from medical professionals. A little foresight and planning ahead could mitigate more restrictive measures. Instead of actually planning ahead, like having a whole year to increase ICU capacity instead of doing victory laps, we're left asking for help from "the evil feds", Ontario, Saskatchewan and North Dakota. Its a really bad look on a government that has disdain for anyone who accepts EI or other forms of social assistance.

Edited by WildPath
More detailed stat, slightly more outrage added

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

What an amazing overhaul that has turned out to be. 

They are overhauling education - to save 40 million dollars by getting parents to do some of the work for free. Again - amazing thought process

The truth is, they hired a consultant who made the same recommendations that were made in Nova Scotia - almost 90% identical

The only difference that I can see so far: in Nova Scotia they kept school divisions intact but amalgamated them.  Here, the system will be gutted by 2022, and Education will be governed from the Leg. 

Now, I don't know as much about the health care overhaul, but the way education is being done should set off some serious alarm bells.

On education, let's not forget ignored their own commission's report in many cases and enacted ideas they were touted in 93 and 94 with a mix of US Republicanism.

22 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

On education, let's not forget ignored their own commission's report in many cases and enacted ideas they were touted in 93 and 94 with a mix of US Republicanism.

Exactly. The commission did not recommend dissolving school divisions.  Also, the government's silence on what's going to happen to smaller schools...is deafening. 

Covid is hitting closer to home more and more.  Found out last night that a guy I've played slo-pitch with for the last decade, is one of the icu patients being sent out of province after being put in a medically-induced coma.

It's scary to think that he's in the same age group (early to mid 40's) as I am and while I don't know if he has any underlying issues,  he seemed to be in fairly decent shape.

A friend's daughter-in-law has been in a similar scenario for a couple weeks except for being moved out of province and there are other issues involved.

I'm very ready for this to be over now. 😔