Covid-19

JCon

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Policed by who exactly? The gestapo? Maybe we ask Putin for help. Get real...restrictions only work if people are willing...prohibition taught us that.

Trying to control a virus is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. There is no government anywhere having a complete success with it.  Canada was especially f'ed with a late vaccine rollout.

Perfect is the enemy of good, but Manitoba has not nearly been good.  New Zealand was better than good, because they actually listened to their scientists even though they didn't like what the scientists were saying.  

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Well I live here in Steinbach so might have a better picture of what it’s like. You make it out like it’s free for all with no one wearing mask and getting vaccinated. I have yet to see anyone the places I go not wear masks or making big deal. Also 95% of the people in know are getting vaccinated. I am also not religious person so not jaded by that view point. 

Your anecdotal observations are no more valid than the opinions of other members here. 

As of the end of last month, the three worst areas for vaccination rates were all in the Southern Health Region: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/low-vaccination-rates-winnipeg-southern-manitoba-1.6006430

Public health officials weren't necessarily surprised by the areas that are seeing lower vaccination numbers, given past hesitancy around annual flu vaccinations and childhood immunizations...

As of today, the SHR remains the second lowest in terms of doses administered, only second to the Northern Regional Health Authority.

While I agree completely that painting in broad strokes is unreasonable, it doesn't change the reality of things on which @Noeller shared his views.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Your anecdotal observations are no more valid than the opinions of other members here. 

As of the end of last month, the three worst areas for vaccination rates were all in the Southern Health Region: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/low-vaccination-rates-winnipeg-southern-manitoba-1.6006430

As of today, the SHR remains the second lowest in terms of doses administered, only second to the Northern Regional Health Authority.

While I agree completely that painting in broad strokes is unreasonable, it doesn't change the reality of things on which @Noeller shared his views.

To be fair, Morden's supersite was opened March 22 and Steinbach's only 2 days ago. 

Southern Health was the last region to get a vaccine supersite.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Policed by who exactly? The gestapo? Maybe we ask Putin for help. Get real...restrictions only work if people are willing...prohibition taught us that.

Silly. just plain silly.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Trying to control a virus is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. There is no government anywhere having a complete success with it.  Canada was especially f'ed with a late vaccine rollout.

No one is talking about complete success:  just not having end up where we are now- the worst hotspot in all of North America.

Looks like it was stalled at the provincial level more than anything.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7553419/coronavirus-vaccine-canada-distribution-slow/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-slow-vaccine-rollout-covid-19-1.5862358

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Not disagreeing with you but what would you have had the government do differently? Just a question. Please be specific. What should the government have done? What would the challenges be to doing so, how could they have mitigated that?

Not picking on you in particular, I challenge all to answer those questions. I'm seeing a lot of people saying things should have been done different but I see crickets as to what that should have been.

We've been consistently near the bottom in terms of vaccine rollout:

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

We've made a a few appearances near the top of the list for hotspots in Canada/US and we are currently #1, again:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-in-the-u-s-how-do-canada-s-provinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033

We don't have the ICU capacity that we need in our province. I've heard is that part of it is a shortage of nurses. Nurses have been without a contract for four years and feel completely disrespected. Maybe sign a contract, pay them fairly and treat them fairly. But I bet working without a contract for four years makes those provincial budgets look pretty good.

This is the same government that, as others have mentioned, make restriction which obviously prioritize economy and not reducing the most likely forms of transmission. They've done it again and again, despite having the huge good fortune of being behind other provinces in outbreaks multiple times.

This is the same government that floated getting rid of quarantine requirements for business travellers just a few weeks ago as other provinces were hitting their third waves.

The moves they have made are way too late, despite having tons of advance warning from other provinces. We've had health care professionals multiple times make it public that more restrictions are needed and they are needed sooner. They've faced backlash and criticism from our health minister when they have done so.

They've obviously been trying to milk every last drop out of the economy before imposing restrictions and then relying on blaming Trudeau/Manitobans. This requires longer and more stringent restrictions. The Manitobans not getting vaccinated are their people! Many of the top ministers in this government call the bible belt home. These are the people that should be able to reach the anti-vax, anti-mask nuts (no chance they'd listen to an NDP government). This is the same government that gave the anti-maskers a boost when they resisted a mask mandate in the face of health professionals and others in government telling them it is time to mandate masks.

Unfortunately I am not hopefully that people will remember this. They've used the pandemic as an opportunity to undemocratically introduce some pretty atrocious legislation. Pallister will likely be gone to Costa Rica when this is over, but I'm not sure voters will remember that the stench should still be on the shoulders of the PC party. I wasn't a fan of Trudeau and didn't vote for him, but the Manitoba government has been a disaster every step of the way this pandemic. And we just keep getting hard questions answered with the blaming of others.

15 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Just a got a feeling of “l am done with this,” today I have done my part yet still get screwed over. Covid fatigue has really set in for me today for the first time.

Have absolutely felt this. Here's the best thing I can tell you, from someone who was in your exact spot a couple weeks ago:  This is going to pass SOON. Just hang on a little bit longer. You're in the worst of it right now, but in just a couple of weeks, this is going to pass, and things are going to start trending in the other direction FAST. Alberta was there, where you guys are now, and we have (knock on wood) got it under control, with numbers sliding down fast. 

Just hang tight for a couple more weeks...this is the last of it. With every vaccine injection, you're a baby step closer to the very end....

41 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Just a got a feeling of “l am done with this,” today I have done my part yet still get screwed over. Covid fatigue has really set in for me today for the first time.

You are not alone. Somehow the arrival of spring (such as it is at the moment) when we would normally be released from the icy clutches of winter has emphasized how restricted we still are. The selfish behaviours of a relative few has caused this and there is little we the public can do.

Government have no more answers doing the bare minimum with restrictions and enforcement that always come a day late, once again after today's talking to you get the impression that the only move left is to ride out this wave hope that not too many people die and try to get people vaccinated, unfortunately people will continue to get this virus, people will not get vaccinated and people will continue to die, how much longer is anyone's guess, but I'm hopeful that come early June that we can start to put all of this behind us.

Edited by bustamente

18 minutes ago, bustamente said:

after today's talking to you get the impression that the only move left is to ride out this wave hope that not too many people die and try to get people vaccinated, unfortunately people will continue to get this virus.

Yeah, the recent pressers kept making me think of "Hope in one hand, **** in the other- see which one fills up first." (modded quote)

I wish they would have gone with "Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.". Hoping isn't really a plan.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Probably the most depressing thing of this whole pandemic is the realization that people really don’t care about doing the right thing and really are selfish a$$holes. 

Alberta Health is dealing with a situation whereby people are booking vaxx appts with no intention of using them, hoping to prevent people from getting the shot and that the vaccines will expire and be thrown out. Got a message from a former co worker of mine in Winkler that said MB Health in southern Manitoba (Winkler specific) are having the same problem on an even larger scale. I am absolutely sickened by this.... 

I went to the St James Costco today at 9am. Thought maybe I'd beat the rush. Nah. Easily 60 people ahead of me in line, including couples and families... there was someone on a megaphone reminding people only 1 person per household... lots of couples just pretended to be separate, each with their own membership card... only to regroup once inside. The elderly gentleman ahead of me refused to wear a mask in line, insisting he only has to wear it indoors... as if he's not the one at greatest risk. No point arguing. Just gave him a wide berth; if he can't be bothered to protect me then I'll protect myself. Some people just can't look past their own selfish being.

7 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I went to the St James Costco today at 9am. Thought maybe I'd beat the rush. Nah. Easily 60 people ahead of me in line, including couples and families... there was someone on a megaphone reminding people only 1 person per household... lots of couples just pretended to be separate, each with their own membership card... only to regroup once inside. The elderly gentleman ahead of me refused to wear a mask in line, insisting he only has to wear it indoors... as if he's not the one at greatest risk. No point arguing. Just gave him a wide berth; if he can't be bothered to protect me then I'll protect myself. Some people just can't look past their own selfish being.

Same stuff at Regent today minus the reminder one person per household.

Ill say it again, the disdain i have for the human race has increased 10 fold during this pandemic. It blows my mind just how selfish and just plain stupid some people are. The only good thing about covid is maybe its thinned the braindead herd out a bit. Too harsh?

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Alberta Health is dealing with a situation whereby people are booking vaxx appts with no intention of using them, hoping to prevent people from getting the shot and that the vaccines will expire and be thrown out. Got a message from a former co worker of mine in Winkler that said MB Health in southern Manitoba (Winkler specific) are having the same problem on an even larger scale. I am absolutely sickened by this.... 

Disturbing and ignorant. It's just a matter of time till some of these anti - vax pockets are hit with an outbreak of something. Unfortunately, their children will suffer the worst of it, since most adults are actually immunized. The internet is really fuelling the growth of this crap. 

Just now, Mark H. said:

Disturbing and ignorant. It's just a matter of time till some of these anti - vax pockets are hit with an outbreak of something. Unfortunately, their children will suffer the worst of it, since most adults are actually immunized. The internet is really fuelling the growth of this crap. 

Some people don't give a crap about the flood until the water is at their own doorsteps. This is what will have to happen before they get a clue.

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I refuse to go to Costco, Walmart & Superstore. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I refuse to go to Costco, Walmart & Superstore. 

You're better off if you can go without.

Superstore (St James) and any hardware store is a whos who of non-compliance and idiocy right now. My politics have kept me out of Walmart for a decade, so I can honestly only imagine what a petri dish it is.

Once inside, social distancing at Costco wasn't hard in most areas - 100 people is not a lot - but you still had people packed ass to elbow in clothing, meat, produce, and the garden center because some people are too impatient to social distance, so I was still on the defensive most of the time.

I used to benefit mentally from the occasional bout of retail therapy. I cant wait to go thrifting for fun again. Til then, shopping is a stressful in and out operation fuelled by necessity. If my local Safeway or Family Foods carried OHSA approved rain gear I probably would have avoided Costco entirely.

15 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

That hit us out here in Alberta a few weeks ago. It is very frustrating to know you have tried to to what's right but so many others don't and let this crap continue because they just have to have people over or constantly go out to restaurants. A little patience and we could have stayed home when cases were low and let vaccine rollout pick up and avoid a lot of crap, but no, people again thought it was over and set us back months.

15 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I hear ya. 

Three weeks ago, I came down to my office in my basement and almost broke down. I've been worn right down by this. I just want out. It feels like we're close to some sort of normality, yet we are in the worst shape of the whole pandemic.