Covid-19

JCon

NEW Last updated: May 20, 2021

Public health officials advise three new deaths in a person with COVID-19 has been reported today:

• a female in her 40s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern; 
  • a male in his 50s from the Winnipeg health region; and
  • a male in his 70s from Southern Health-Santé Sud, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern. 

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 13.8 per cent provincially and 15.3 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 603 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, one case has been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 602 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 46,916.  

Today’s COVID-19 data shows:  

• 20 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;   
  • 36 cases in the Northern health region;    
  • 41 cases in the Prairie Mountain health region;    
  • 97 cases in the Southern Healthؘ-Santé Sud health region; and    
  • 409 cases in the Winnipeg health region
  • The data also shows:  
  • 4,659 active cases and 41,238 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19; 
  • 232 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 59 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 291 hospitalizations;  
  • 56 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 20 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 76 ICU patients;  
  • 3,619 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 735,315, and 
  • the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 1,019. 

44 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not disagreeing with you but what would you have had the government do differently? Just a question. Please be specific. What should the government have done? What would the challenges be to doing so, how could they have mitigated that?

Not picking on you in particular, I challenge all to answer those questions. I'm seeing a lot of people saying things should have been done different but I see crickets as to what that should have been.

The government under Pallister ought to have mandated a severe crackdown with harsh penalties a month ago when this was predicted. Pallister did not want to alienate his base of fundamentalists and right-wingers. So he and the provincial Tories prayed for a miracle and here we are.

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

These pastors should all be thrown in jail. Worthless POS.

Ever wonder why these "faith healers" are not in hospitals casting out the demons and healing people left and right?

48 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The government under Pallister ought to have mandated a severe crackdown with harsh penalties a month ago when this was predicted. Pallister did not want to alienate his base of fundamentalists and right-wingers. So he and the provincial Tories prayed for a miracle and here we are.

Ever wonder why these "faith healers" are not in hospitals casting out the demons and healing people left and right?

Remind me to never set foot in a church the rest of my life. 

11 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

The burning sensation you experience as you walk inside would be reminder enough, you devil you 😉

I'll say the one thing this pandemic has done has changed my politics. I used to be a dyed in the wool conservative. That has gone by the wind. I still don't like governments in my life trying to tell me what's best but my ******* God, the governments we have in Manitoba, Alberta & Ontario are absolutely dreadful. Palliser is basically teelling Manitobans that it's their fault they got sick & FFS they have to do better. In Alberta, we have a provncial government spooked & running by the seat of its pants. Kenney is now seen as a weak & ineffectual leader to be trusted by no one.  I voted for him. However, I cannot & never will support politicians like him again. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

New restrictions coming at 4pm today. I'm expecting a stay at home order and stores will only be able to sell essential items, like November to January. We'll see.

No hope the kids are going back to class this year, which is a shame. 

Glad I got to Costco today then!

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Policed by who exactly? The gestapo? Maybe we ask Putin for help. Get real...restrictions only work if people are willing...prohibition taught us that.

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'll say the one thing this pandemic has done has changed my politics. I used to be a dyed in the wool conservative. That has gone by the wind. I still don't like governments in my life trying to tell me what's best but my ******* God, the governments we have in Manitoba, Alberta & Ontario are absolutely dreadful. Palliser is basically teelling Manitobans that it's their fault they got sick & FFS they have to do better. In Alberta, we have a provncial government spooked & running by the seat of its pants. Kenney is now seen as a weak & ineffectual leader to be trusted by no one.  I voted for him. However, I cannot & never will support politicians like him again. 

Trying to control a virus is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. There is no government anywhere having a complete success with it.  Canada was especially f'ed with a late vaccine rollout.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

there's a real problem in the bible belt south of the Trans Can.....vast majority of people not getting vaxxed. They need to find a way to get that done...

Way to paint a broad brush Winkler is way more of a problem then Steinbach.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

Way to paint a broad brush Winkler is way more of a problem then Steinbach.

After my year and a half living down there, it's all the same to me. You get south of the #1 and it's all bible thumping crazy people. Even Morden, that likes to think they're the "normal" one......nah.....it's all crazy down there.

Well I live here in Steinbach so might have a better picture of what it’s like. You make it out like it’s free for all with no one wearing mask and getting vaccinated. I have yet to see anyone the places I go not wear masks or making big deal. Also 95% of the people in know are getting vaccinated. I am also not religious person so not jaded by that view point. 

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Policed by who exactly? The gestapo? Maybe we ask Putin for help. Get real...restrictions only work if people are willing...prohibition taught us that.

Trying to control a virus is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. There is no government anywhere having a complete success with it.  Canada was especially f'ed with a late vaccine rollout.

No, conservatives cut, They destroy. The education system. The health care system. Infrastructure. Anything. That is their mantra, Cut, cut, destroy. I should know. I voted for doing that **** for decades.