Covid-19

JCon

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Not statistically significant.

.2 after holding steady for a couple of days. I'm hoping that means that we've seen the peak of TPR. But, I certainly won't be surprised if we don't. 

I was at Costco last night, getting bulk Covid, and it was so pleasant inside with only 10% capacity. I didn't feel encroached upon at all. Whereas, last Thursday, the other shoppers were so close that  I almost became family with them. 

1 hour ago, Sard said:

Since they are 12-18, it would only be Pfizer.  Heard from another friend who got an appointment about an hour after I did and their kid is going in on the 28th, so those appointments filled up fast.

Very encouraging that there's so much uptake.

Encouraging and not surprising - kids have been greatly impacted by the restrictions.  

Just a guess, but I'm thinking they were unvaccinated people. Everything I've seen suggests Pfizer/Moderna are almost 100% effective against preventing hospitalization and death even among the VOCs. The other possibility I was thinking is that it is death from people who caught Covid and have been fighting it for a long time, but older people have been eligible for vaccines for quite a while already.

From an anecdotal perspective, all 3 of my remaining grandparents live in seniors facilities and are fully vaccinated. I know from my grandma's facility most (something like 75% CHOSE not to get vaccinated) and from my other grandparent's place there were a lot that chose not to get vaccinated as well. Something that really makes me shake my head when the vaccine was brought right to their place and it wasn't a matter of logistics. Fortunately all my grandparents were sane and chose to get the shot. I might have had to leverage contact with my newborn baby as bait to get my grandpa vaccinated. But he was quickly fully on board.

They really should be saying if these people were vaccinated or not. If they were unvaccinated as I assume they were, it would really put an impetus on others to get vaccinated. Especially those older folks who are resisting for whatever reason.

43 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

A Northern man in his 50s who contracted B117 • A Winnipeg woman in her 50s who contracted B117 • A Winnipeg man in his 50s • A Winnipeg man in his 80s infected via the outbreak at Holy Family Home

Were they given the shot? I gots to know!

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

I think for some, liberty and freedom mean the right to do whatever you want or desire to do . Which is not part of Canadian society and to my knowledge has not been part of any society in the history of mankind. 

It's about personal freedom at the expense of everyone else's. It's the quickest and easiest way to identify the most loathesome, self centered, stains in our society. 

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/number-of-manitobans-contracting-covid-19-after-vaccination-in-line-with-what-is-expected-1.5422622

Since Frosty keeps asking, 410 cases and 7 deaths for people who had been vaccinated in Manitoba. That's out of 48,000 people. So the chance would be .8% of catching Covid and .01% chance of dying. I'm going to assume no to the deaths announced today.

48 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's about personal freedom at the expense of everyone else's. It's the quickest and easiest way to identify the most loathesome, self centered, stains in our society. 

not to mention that these people forget, or are ignorant to the fact that there are mechanisms in our constitution that allow the government to suspend personal freedoms

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Many people have such a shallow understanding of freedom - it's really sad.  Instead of realizing that our freedoms should make us better humans - they just see them as the right to do whatever they want. 

Isn't it sad that the people crying for FREEDOM are the ones most unwilling to do anything about it by doing someting minor like wearing a mask. Maxime Bernier is a ******. 

Sad to say, we are now the worst-affected province in Canada, beating out Alberta, which was the object of pity and criticism. Worse yet, the word from the provincial health officer is that the worst is yet to come and not expected to improve until mid-June. We have poked fun at Alberta and Saskatchewan, but now Saskatchewan is predicting pretty much normality by mid-July.  Our ICUs are full and healthcare staff are overloaded. We are in big trouble, folks.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Sad to say, we are now the worst-affected province in Canada, beating out Alberta, which was the object of pity and criticism. Worse yet, the word from the provincial health officer is that the worst is yet to come and not expected to improve until mid-June. We have poked fun at Alberta and Saskatchewan, but now Saskatchewan is predicting pretty much normality by mid-July.  Our ICUs are full and healthcare staff are overloaded. We are in big trouble, folks.

Pallister lucky election not 2021. Not that i think it mattes.

You guys are a couple of weeks behind us in AB......and I can give you a bit of a peek into the future: As much exponential growth as you're seeing now, you're going to see nearly equal exponential "decay", as they call it. The numbers are going to fall off a cliff once enough people are vaccinated (combined with people adhering to public health measures and the natural decline of cold/flu season come summer time). We went from more than 2000/day cases to just over 1000 in about a week. Active cases is falling every day by several hundred. Our hospitalizations are falling (tho the ICU is still up there and needs to come down...) 

Do what you can to limit your interactions with others....get vaccinated.......the good will come. Stay safe, my friends!