Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Probably more like 4 or 5 weeks, but you are correct. They could done a hard shutdown and stopped this crap in it's tracks. Instead we got pansy governments afraid to make the hard decisions so we dragged this out for over a year now.

They did a complete shutdown for 2 months when it all started.  It was down to almost 0 cases, but then came back with a vengeance in summer and especially fall.  All that spring lockdown did was delay the inevitable. 

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

They did a complete shutdown for 2 months when it all started.  It was down to almost 0 cases, but then came back with a vengeance in summer and especially fall.  All that spring lockdown did was delay the inevitable. 

Was speaking about the whole country. Not nearly enough restrictions on people coming in to consider anything that was done a hard lockdown.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Was speaking about the whole country. Not nearly enough restrictions on people coming in to consider anything that was done a hard lockdown.

And, internal travel, which has been the largest contributor to the spread. 

11 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So... what is the difference between class room transmission and daycare transmission? Isn't that defeating the whole point of suspending classroom instruction?

That has been the problem with these restrictions from day 1.  Same thing with not being able to have someone in your home, but a beer with the same person down at the pub, no problem. If they have data that shows one having more transmission than the other, then they need to make that public. 

6 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So... what is the difference between class room transmission and daycare transmission? Isn't that defeating the whole point of suspending classroom instruction?

Here is my take, likely not the most popular opinion but is based on my observations at a couple school yards and parks that I pass through daily. In school / daycare isn’t a major concern as it is. Young kids with full supervision tend to obey the rules and sanitize regularly. Transmission is happening in older years because kids hang out. Around school, at the park anywhere they can. Always unsupervised, often massless and certainly social distant as the suck face on the picnic table. 

In many ways it seems that this full closure was done just to appease all the people asking and demanding that they do something. It won’t really do anything to bend the curve back down, we’ll see a decrease in cases mostly from more and more people getting vaccinated. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The AB govt threw vaccinations wide open today. All Albertans age 12 & up today can book vaccine appointments & 112,000 people made appointments. Just today. 

I expect MB will do the same no later than Friday. 

4 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

In many ways it seems that this full closure was done just to appease all the people asking and demanding that they do something. It won’t really do anything to bend the curve back down, we’ll see a decrease in cases mostly from more and more people getting vaccinated. 

I could not possibly agree more. At this point, there are so many people who find the restrictions pointless, the government may as well just wait until vaxxing results kick in.

Unless they believe another round of code red (esp. closing schools) will motivate more people to get jabbed. 

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I could not possibly agree more. At this point, there are so many people who find the restrictions pointless, the government may as well just wait until vaxxing results kick in.

Unless they believe another round of code red (esp. closing schools) will motivate more people to get jabbed. 

Now that you mention it this does seem plausible, it would go along with the rapid dropping of age eligibility. 

They really do have a messaging problem and have throughout the pandemic. For instance today I was having a conversation with one of the before and after school staff that I have had before. There is a bit of a prevailing attitude that the government has ignored them and left them out to dry. I reminded them that the government continues to provide full funding to the centre despite us operating at 50%,that they have all been fully paid during the shut downs unless they asked for the time off. 

In response to “we should have been a higher prior for vaccines” I ask if any one has been sick with COVID and suggest that the fact they we were not included as a high risk zone as a complement and evidence that they have done an amazing job keeping everyone safe. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The AB govt threw vaccinations wide open today. All Albertans age 12 & up today can book vaccine appointments & 112,000 people made appointments. Just today. 

yeah people who weren't in the first age groups have been champing at the bit to get their turn. I was able to get my first shot today. System was pretty slick the whole way through. No complaints at all. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

yeah people who weren't in the first age groups have been champing at the bit to get their turn. I was able to get my first shot today. System was pretty slick the whole way through. No complaints at all. 

For me, I want to get that second shot. Hopefully, this means the second shot is comong sooner.

Interesting article on vaccine trials in kids younger than 12 years old.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/inside-covid-19-vaccine-trial-for-kids-under-12-and-what-parents-should-know/3047996/

"Dr. Robert Frenck, the Director of the Gamble Center for Clinical Research at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, says children actually appear to respond better to the vaccines than younger adults. The challenge now is to find the right dose for kids, which is lower than the 30 micrograms given to adults.

"You're trying to find this base where you have the best immune response with the lowest side effect," Frenck explained. "The children's immune system develops very quickly. They could use smaller dose because they do respond well."