Covid-19

JCon

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We just don't know when the second shot is coming.

Manitoba announced they will start booking 2nd dose appointments May 22 they day after all residents age 12+ become eligible to book. Appointments won’t begin immediately but will run concurrently with first dose appointments. Priority list will be released later but all immuno compromised will be near the top. All second doses should be complete by end of July. 

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Manitoba announced they will start booking 2nd dose appointments May 22 they day after all residents age 12+ become eligible to book. Appointments won’t begin immediately but will run concurrently with first dose appointments. Priority list will be released later but all immuno compromised will be near the top. All second doses should be complete by end of July. 

Nothing has been announced in Alberta.

Again, we're nothing close to a lockdown... Just some measures to limit interaction between people, so we can get the daily infections down to a manageable level. 

We'll get to where Texas is (hopefully less crazy people) eventually. Fall time maybe... 

26 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

**** remote learning for elementary school. We got about 2 weeks of learning done in 4 months last year. Pointless. Just cancel the school year.

Last year our daughter didn't miss a beat with remote learning.  The teacher she had was excellent and most of the parents were committed with having their children keep up with the school work. 

I think it really depends on the teacher and also the parents.

As the parent of a grade 3 student I am torn on this decisions. He didn’t suffer academically last year during remote learning but the social struggle and isolation was very hard on him 

I am just hoping that in 3 weeks we are sending him back to school and he gets to reconnect sooner than last year. 

As one of the board members of a before and after school program I am not excited about the flurry of parent inquiries over the next couple of days. Thankfully the centre is allowed to be open and all our staff will be able to be paid. I am thankful that we have pre-planned what parents classify as critical and whose kids will still attend. 

The ONLY thing that matters right now is bringing down the daily case counts, and by extension, the hospitalizations and ICU admissions. If kids have to go online learning for the next couple of months (there is absolutely no way only 3 weeks will bring the numbers down) then so be it. 

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

As the parent of a grade 3 student I am torn on this decisions. He didn’t suffer academically last year during remote learning but the social struggle and isolation was very hard on him 

I am just hoping that in 3 weeks we are sending him back to school and he gets to reconnect sooner than last year. 

We are in the same boat,  it didn't help that my daughter was shy and had only a small group of friends before the pandemic.  With the lack of out of school activities,  the school having no group exercises and even the simple things such as not having a birthday party a 2nd year in a row has definitely changed her behaviour.   I hope they go back to school sooner then later.  

Maybe the need is there for Grade 13 in provincial high schools across Canada for students to catch up. As a kid who struggled with math & the sciences I could have used another year. Having math deficiencies certainly shapes educational decisions you make  as well as having career implications the rest of your life. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe the need is there for Grade 13 in provincial high schools across Canada for students to catch up.

I've also thought they should do this. Whether it should be mandatory or not...shruggs. They could/should have kept the kids in school an extra month. It's not like they going anywhere!

Said it once, said it 1000 times...want covid gone? Shut this ship down and I mean a hard lockdown for 2-3 weeks and covid be gone.

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Said it once, said it 1000 times...want covid gone? Shut this ship down and I mean a hard lockdown for 2-3 weeks and covid be gone.

Probably more like 4 or 5 weeks, but you are correct. They could done a hard shutdown and stopped this crap in it's tracks. Instead we got pansy governments afraid to make the hard decisions so we dragged this out for over a year now.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

I wish that they could have done what they did earlier this year after Easter where students had to stay home for an additional two weeks

Agreed. Doing the equivalent of 1/10th the work they would do in a normal school day over SeeSaw with working parents trying to help in between meetings is a waste of everyone's time.

Again, mostly talking about K-4 here.